Requisition ID: req5322
Job Title: Bank Linkages Assistant
Sector: Economic Recovery & Livelihood
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Reporting to the ERD Manager, the Bank Linkages Assistant will be responsible for carrying out linkage assessment, facilitate linkage of mature VSLA groups to the formal financial sector, monitor the linked groups and document their progress and development.
She/he will supervise Community Based Volunteers, community resource persons and will work closely with identified partner financial institutions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, lead, organize and evaluate the linkage of VSLA groups to the formal financial sector in accordance with IRC’s guidelines on financial linkages
- Provide technical supports to Community Based Trainers (CBTs) to enable them meet project goals, objectives and targets
- Support the ERD Manager in developing capacities of CBTs, community resource persons and any other identified stakeholders
- Monitor group’s self-management maturity and transition as guided by the group objectives and targets, and work closely with the community based trainers to ensure that bank linkage is piloted in the project sites
- Identify and develop partnerships with relevant financial institutions, private sector, local youth-focused initiatives and other community-led initiatives in allocated sub-region to support the roll out and delivery of economic development component of the project
- Develop, manage and keep track of relevant program activity work plans and training implementation schedules to ensure timely delivery of services by project staff and community partners, and achievement of objectives
- Support on any assignments in the ERD sector as requested by the line supervisor
- Prepare and submit all project-related reports and ensure this is done in a timely manner
Key Working Relationships
Position Reports to: ERD Manager
- Minimum of a Diploma in Development Studies, Agriculture, Economics, Food Security, Business Studies or related discipline. Degree in similar field will be added an advantage.
- 2 years of progressively responsible project management experience in economic development programming and financial/business skill building, preferably with a focus on financial linkages and food security.
- Experience of working as or with Community Based Trainers
- Experience of training and supporting VSLA groups.
- 1-2 years of technical experience in business/enterprise development and financial services, markets facilitation and private sector development is essential. Experience as Bank Linkage Assistant will be an added advantage.
- Experience in community outreach, relationship building, and partnerships in advancing organizational mission and recognizing opportunities for collaboration.
- Experience managing a team of field staff.
- Experience in developing new relationships with private sector partners.
- Field-level experience of working in livelihood interventions in Kampala combining financial inclusion, especially the VSLA methodology.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact professionally with project stakeholders.
- Good knowledge of computer use.
- Fluency in English Language both written and spoken is required. Working knowledge of relevant local languages a plus.
Working Environment: The Bank Linkages Assistant will be located in Kampala, with frequent travel to project sites within her/his allocated division.
- This position is open only to Ugandan nationals
- Deadline for receiving applications is Friday 21st June 2019
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis