Requisition ID: req5323
Job Title: Economic Recovery & Development Manager
Sector: Economic Recovery & Livelihood
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kampala, Uganda
The ERD Manager will provide operational and technical support for the delivery of an integrated technical approach across the project’s deliverables. He/she will work closely with and supervise other project staff for other technical areas, including agricultural enhancement, community and local water governance, gender equality and youth engagement, market systems development, strengthen community-to-community linkages and community-to-local governance systems to empower communities in steering their own development and growth.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for implementation of project activities related to livelihoods and economic development throughout the Kampala Urban context.
- Ensure close adherence to the budget and ensure all expenditure are well aligned to project activities.
- Prepare regular and up-to-date project work plan, spending plan and procurement plan and share with the ERD Technical Coordinator from time to time.
- Regularly monitor the Budget Vs Actual (BvA) and ensure compliance with commitments to the project donor’s set conditions and standards.
- Directly manage implementation of project activities in the Urban programme and supervise all Urban livelihoods projects teams.
- Identify and develop partnerships with relevant financial instititutions, private sector, local youth-focused initiatives and other community-led initiatives in allocated sub-region to support the roll out and delivery of economic development component of the project.
- Develop, manage and keep track of relevant program activity work plans and training implementation schedules to ensure timely delivery of services by project staff and community partners, and achievement of objectives.
- Supervise ERD Officer(s) and give technical guidance on all project implementation activities.
- Work with M&E staff to monitor project progress and achievement of sub-results, assuring that feedback and learning are accurately captured and integrated into the project management cycle.
- Maintain productive working relationships with project partners, beneficiaries and key counterparts.
- Work closely with the IRC Economic Recovery and Development Coordinator, Technical Advisors and remain up to date on best practices and developments in targeted economic development, entrepreneurship, business skills and financial services in order to ensure program quality and impact.
- Lead the preparation and submission of all project-related reports and ensure this is done in a timely manner.
Key Working Relationships
Position reports to: ERD Technical Coordinator
Position directly supervises:ERD Officer(s) and Bank Linkage Assistant.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Development Studies, Agriculture, Economics, Food Security, Business Studies or related discipline.
- 3 years of progressively responsible project management experience in economic development programming and financial/business skill building, preferably with a focus financial inclusion and food security.
- Experience of managing Urban Livelihoods programmes is a plus
- 1-3 years of technical experience in business/enterprise development and financial services, markets facilitation and private sector development is essential.
- Experience in community outreach, relationship building, and partnerships in advancing organizational mission and recognizing opportunities for collaboration.
- Experience managing a team of field staff.
- Experience in developing new relationships with private sector partners.
- Field-level experience of working in livelihood interventions in Kampala combining financial inclusion, especially the VSLA methodology.
- Strong leadership, analytical and organizational skills. Demonstrated ability to quickly assess priorities and effectively manage a variety of activities at a time while paying appropriate attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact professionally with donor, project stakeholders, in-country collaborators and staff at all levels of the organization.
- Good knowledge of word processing tools and spreadsheets (MS Office Word, Excel etc.)
- Fluency in English Language both written and spoken is required. Working knowledge of relevant local languages a plus.
Working Environment: The ERD Manager will be located in Kampala, with frequent travel to project sites within her/his allocated region.
- This position is open only to Ugandan nationals
- Deadline for receiving applications is Friday 21st June 2019
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis