Risk and Compliance Coordinator
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home. The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
Overall purpose of the role
The Risk & Compliance Coordinator will ensure DRC-DDG Libya is aligned with DRC internal policies, donor requirements and local laws. The position will actively promote and support a culture of compliance, risk identification & management across all departments. Responsibility for the implementation of a set of controls to ensure compliance with DRC procedures and quality standards is a central purpose of the role. This includes identifying weaknesses in the application of controls and recommend action to address this situation.
- Develop field compliance framework and tools/methods for periodic compliance review of high/medium risk areas identified in collaboration with SMT/Regional Risk and Compliance Specialist (RRCS)
- Develop a periodic compliance reporting mechanism & provide regular reports to CO SMT and R-SMT through RRCS
- Provide specialist technical support relating to Compliance & Risk to country SMT & be the ‘go to’ compliance and risk expert where DRC Libya seeks advice and direction on DRC and donor procedures and policies
- Develop donor compliance checklists for major donors of Libya CO and ensure their usage by 1st line of defence managers across the operations
- Assess the effectiveness of existing risk and compliance control measures to identify and mitigate risks and non-compliance.
- Based on Compliance checks & reports develop organizational wide targeted improvement plans including a suite of tools that improve control measures and organization understanding of donor regulations & relevant DRC policies.
- Be the focal point for risk management & ensure effective implementation of risk management framework across the operations
- Lead training initiatives relating to Risk Management, lessons learnt etc.
- Lead discussion on risks regularly in SMT/E-SMT meetings & regularly monitor progress on implementation of response plan in risk registers
- Support CO in development of risk registers for particular projects at proposal stage and developing action plan for risk management for particular projects
- Conduct necessary calculations (risk, audit results related. etc) as requested by management;
- Ensure trainings on CoC for all staff
- Develop and monitor accountability improvement plans
- Conduct or direct internal administrative investigations of compliance issues in coordination with code of conduct intake committee.
- Advise Senior Management on gaps identified thorough internal and external audit reports.
- Ensure the DRC internal policies are in accordance with country laws and are being followed; also ensure NGO laws is followed up by all sectors of DRC-DDG program.
- Liaise with DRC Libya lawyer with regard to legal cases; updating senior management and country director as required.
Work closely with M&E Manager to ensure that appropriate accountability mechanisms are in place to report on
- Effective accountability frame work and control measures in place.
- Ensure organization is in compliance with DRC-DDG internal policies and donor procedures/policies
- Risk Matrix updated and disseminated as required
- Strong Finance & budget management skills;
- Attention to detail
- University degree in relevant subject area;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with national staff and other stakeholders;
- Ability to work in a deadline driven environment and undertake a proactive approach;
- At least 3- 5 years professional work experience in humanitarian organizations;
- Experience with reporting, compliance, grant management
- Knowledge of major donor compliance requirements.
- Knowledge of the local context
- Experience with portfolio management and inter-departmental coordination
- Experience in Finance & Human resource and logistics is an asset.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract: 6 months, with possibility of extension (subject to funding and performance)
Starting Date: ASAP
Duty station: Tripoli, Libya
Benefits: Housing and other benefits provided according to Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.dkunder Vacancies.
For information about our work and organisation, please visit our website www.drc.dk.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and interviews will commence while position is still open. Your application should be sent through our online application system on www.drc.dk under Vacancies > Current vacancies > Risk & Compliance Coordinator – Libya. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, if you experience problems with your online application.