Interpreter/Translator Roster, Iraq
Every year, millions of people around the world go missing as a result of conflict, human rights abuses, disasters, organized crime, irregular migration, and other causes. Be part of a growing international organization that is dedicated to tackling this global challenge.
The International Commission on Missing Persons (ICMP) is a treaty-based international organization with headquarters in The Hague, the Netherlands. Its mandate is to secure the cooperation of governments and others in locating and identifying missing persons. As the only international organization tasked exclusively to work on the issue of missing persons, ICMP maintains field programs throughout the world. To learn more about ICMP click here.
The Position Background
The Interpreter/Translator will support the Learning and Development Program in Iraq by providing accurate and timely written and verbal translation from/into Arabic/English and English/Arabic.
The duties of the Interpreter/Translator will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide interpretation and translation support during trainings, workshops and seminars
- Translate training materials from English into Arabic
- Oversee the creation of glossary and any other relevant tool or process to ensure the consistent use of Arabic terminology across the Program
- Review translated material for accuracy of meaning, grammar and syntax
- Professionally fluent in written and spoken English and Arabic
- At least 6 years of experience providing translation/interpretation services in a training or workshop environment
- Ability to travel within Iraq
- Tact, discretion and ability to handle confidential information
- Strong presentation skills and business acumen
- Fluency in Kurdish is an asset
- Ability to work irregular hours and on short notice
Other skills required:
- Computer literacy, including excellent knowledge of Microsoft applications, including Outlook, Word, Excel and Power Point
- Proven ability to interact positively with colleagues regardless of culture, nationality or gender
- Willingness to travel and to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings
- Capacity and willingness to work in sometimes challenging circumstances
PLEASE NOTE: All applications must be submitted in English.
This is a temporary position on an ad hoc and irregular basis. Wage is commensurate with experience.