Associate Development Coordination Officer, Partnerships and Development Finance
The Office of the United Nations Resident Coordinator is looking for a motivated and experienced Partnership and Development Finance Officer. This is a national professional post. The UN Resident Coordinator is designated by the UN Secretary-General to lead development activities in the country. The UN Resident Coordinator coordinates the work of the UN Country Team (19 UN agencies) in support of the Sustainable Development Goals. The UN Resident Coordinator is supported by a small office comprising staff dealing with strategic management, data, communications, partnerships and economic affairs. The Partnerships and Development Finance Officer will be responsible for supporting the expansion of partnerships and increase of resource mobilization for the UN Country Team.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships: This is a national professional post in the Office of the United Nations Resident Coordinator (RCO) in Bangkok.
The UN Resident Coordinator (RC) is the designated representative of the UN Secretary-General for development activities and the team leader of the UN Country Team (UNCT), which in Thailand is composed of 19 UN agencies, who have projects and programmes in Thailand. The RCO supports the RC in his/her coordination of the UNCT and liaison with national partners.
In July 2017, the UNCT signed with the Royal Thai Government the United Nations Partnership Framework (UNPAF) Thailand for 2017-2021, which responds to national priorities. The UNCT agencies monitor and report on the UN's contributions within the framework of the UNPAF and of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The Office of the UN Resident Coordinator (RCO) in Thailand, currently a team of five staff, provides strategic and secretariat supports to the RC and the UNCT to effectively coordinate the work of the UN agencies to implement the UNPAF and advance the SDGs. The RCO is located within the main UN office in Bangkok. The position is a national professional position and will report to the Team Leader of the RCO.
The newly established RCO is part of the reforms of the UN development system worldwide. As such it responds to the UN General Assembly resolution of 72/279 of 1 June 2018, which gave the UN Secretary-General the mandate to implement the repositioning of the UN development system.
 UNPAF is the strategic document that reflects the partnership between the UNCT in Thailand and the Royal Thai Government, in collaboration with other stakeholders. This five-year document is in line with the 12th
National Economic and Social Development Plan for 2017-2021, the SDGs, and the Sufficiency Economy Philosophy pioneered by the late King. Full document of the 2017-2021 UNPAF is available at http://www.un.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/ENG-UNPAF-2017-2021.pdf
Duties and Responsibilities
This post is part of an exciting new generation of RCOs, with a new skill set and competencies required to deliver on the 2030 Agenda. This is an important role within the UN right at the center of efforts to strengthen the overall effectiveness of the UN’s work in Thailand as we look to accelerate progress to achieve the SDGs.
Summary of Functions:
- Assists in providing substantive support for strategic planning for and coordination of UN Country Team (UNCT) partnerships
- Participates in joint resource mobilization for the UNPAF
- Provides substantive support on financing for accelerating the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Supports knowledge management and capacity development
1. Provides substantive support for strategic planning for and coordination of UNCT partnerships
- Provides substantive support to develop and implement a strategy for UNCT to strengthen and expand its partnership with central and local governments, the diplomatic community, CSOs, the private sector, academia, and other partners in alignment with and support of the UNPAF in Thailand;
- Monitors and assesses the strategies regularly to harness new opportunities to strengthen or expand UNCT’s partnerships.;
- Provides substantive support to RC/UNCT in its dialogues with partners to strengthen the coordination in development policies and practice, such as by preparing briefing documents;
- Supports the due diligence processes of potential partnership opportunities, including investment opportunities, in accordance with UN regulations and procedures;
- Provides substantive support to the RC/UNCT in identifying risks and opportunities related to specific partnerships, and suggests mitigation measures;
2. Provides substantive support to the planning and implementation of the joint resource mobilization for the UNPAF.
- Provides substantive support to RC/UNCT to develop and implement resource mobilization strategies and initiatives for the UNCT, and identify appropriate data and benchmarks to measure progress and success;
- Regularly communicates with partners and analyzes existing and potential resource mobilization partnerships to plan further steps to widen the types of collaborations with them;
- Contributes to raising awareness about opportunities for working with the UN on SDG investment and other partnerships to diverse partners through events, media exposure, public relations opportunities, and use of marketing materials, in collaboration with the Communication and Advocacy Officer.
- Acts as a focal point for the partnership between the UN Country Team and the UN Global Network Local Compact.
3. Provides substantive support on financing for accelerating the achievement of the SDGs
- Analyzes trends and provides substantive support in exploring and implementing innovative financing mechanisms for development and SDG acceleration;
- Provides inputs for analysis on issues related to financing for development, such as in the format of briefing documents and discussion points for the RC/UNCT;
- Assists in expanding dialogues on financing for SDG acceleration with stakeholders, such as the Royal Thai Government, international financial institutions and others;
4. Supports knowledge management and capacity development
- Assists the RC/UNCT and its members in developing, maintaining and sharing their knowledge and intelligence to use them to harness opportunities to increase its resource mobilization effectively;
- Contributes to utilizing partnership networks to expand knowledge networks and vice versa in close collaboration with Data Management and Results Monitoring/Reporting Officer.
- Professionalism: Ability to analyze the opportunities of partnerships and resource mobilization to provide inputs in strategy, work plan, and proposals. Shows skill in building strong relationships with diverse partners, both Thai and international partners. Demonstrates the ability to identify risks in approaching and continuing partnerships with specific stakeholders.
- Planning and Organizing: Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates an appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals.
- Accountability: Delivers outputs within prescribed time and quality standards.
- Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas;
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in business or public administration, sustainable development, social sciences, education or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in providing strategic support to partnerships, project/programme management, resource mobilization or development finance in the context of development cooperation or related area is required;
- Demonstrated experience in strengthening partnerships by identifying the opportunities, proposing the formations of the partnerships, and developing joint-initiatives, such as joint-advocacy, joint-seminars, co-funding mechanism;
- Able to identify opportunities and partnership to mobilize financing for development, connecting different stakeholders and networks.;
- A good understanding of Thailand’s national development strategy is a strong asset;
- Experience working with donors and the private sector networks is desirable;
- Experience in working with a wide range of partners, such as Governments, international financial institutions, private sector, is desirable.
- Fluency in Thai and English is required. Should have good writing skills in English.
Important applicant information
All posts in the NO categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.