ASSISTANT COUNTRY DIRECTOR - PROGRAM-SHORT TERM CONTRACT
At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2016, CARE worked in 94 countries and reached 80 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
CARE is seeking a short-term Assistant Country Director - Programs (ACD-P) for its country office and program in Haiti. The ACD-P will ensure that CARE’s programs in Haiti contribute to CARE’s vision, mission and programmatic principles. S/He is expected to provide strategic leadership in the areas of program development, implementation, quality programming, advocacy, and ensure that CARE’s programs bring a significant contribution to reducing poverty and social injustice, and play a leading role in the transformation of CARE Haiti into CARE’s program approach.
CARE Haiti is one of the largest and most complex CARE programs in the world with also 300 hundred staff and a yearly budget superior to 22 million USD. This experienced ACD-P will be responsible for maintaining and building upon CARE’s existing long-term programming in Haiti and leading the transformation of the program toward its new goals of sustainable development, women and girl’s empowerment, social enterprises, good governance and reduction of poverty.
During his/her term, the ACD-P will also participate in the operationalization of the country office business plan that is geared toward development program and strategic partnership with Civil society organization. This person will also integrate humanitarian interventions in line with CARE’s mandate that contribute to and complement CARE’s long-term programming in Haiti.
S/he will oversee a multi-sectoral team working on five key areas Food Security and Nutrition, Urban Development, Education, and Economic Development, plus the Emergency Response Activities mainly focused on WASH, shelter and food security, and will lead the development of new, innovative initiatives.
The person in this role is responsible for ensuring coordination with the Program Quality and Learning (PQL) team, and will ensure the application of best practices, methodologies and recommendations developed by the PQL staff in the program implementation. S/he will lead the project to program shift in Haiti and the development of the new long-term programs as well as the portfolio retrofit required to implement the new program. The ACD-P will ensure the alignment of existing and new initiative with the two key long term program strategies and CI program strategy and provide the leadership required to the program teams for the organizational shift required for the successful implementation of the program approach. The ACD-P is a key member of CARE Haiti Country Management Team. S/He participates in developing partnerships and good networking with partners and key stakeholders (Government of Haiti, donors, INGOs) and will act as the country director in his/her absence.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Apply country strategy and implement the different programs
- Program Development and Resource Mobilization
- Program Quality and Management
- Staff Management
- Financial and Administrative Management
- Advocacy, Partnerships and External Relations Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field. Master’s degree preferred
- 5 to 8 years of experience in senior management position in development field
- 8 years of progressive overseas experience in development, humanitarian programs
- Substantial experience leading large and complex humanitarian and development programs
- Substantial experience in emergency response management
- Experience in leading complex multi-sectors, strategic and operational planning
- Previous experience with CARE specifically participation or leadership in project to program shift process
- Cross-cultural communication skills
- Knowledge and experience of humanitarian and development policy and advocacy in complex settings (strongly recommended)
- Excellent skills in written and spoken English and French. Haitian Creole and Spanish will be a major added-value
- Extensive conceptual skills including development of program strategy
- Skills in program design and proposal development, implementation and evaluation
- Leadership and interpersonal skills
- Strong representation and negotiation skills
- Cross cultural communication skills
- Ability to positively perform under pressure and in stressful environment.
- Excellent analytical skills and country context analysis
** Please note that this is a short-term role.
To apply for this position, please visit our website at https://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=CAREUSA&cws=52&rid=4716
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
The closing date for this posting, if listed, is approximate. Job postings may be removed from CARE's career website at any time.