Requisition ID: req5337
Job Title: Field Manager
Sector: Administrative/General Office
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Yumbe, Uganda
The Field Manager leads IRC's response in the West Nile Field Site and is responsible for supporting and coordinating timely and high-quality program implementation, with a specific focus in ensuring effective functionality of all the support functions of the program.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop annual budget and work plan for effective delivery of operations.
- Coordinate all operational functions in Bidibidi for overall management of the operational support team.
- Supervise all operations staff at the field sites in performing their duties efficiently and in a timely manner.
- Monitor the achievement of staff Performance Management Agreements.
- Develop and submit monthly, quarterly and annual reports in a timely manner.
HR and Staff Development
- Work with HR team to ensure organizational charts are established, recruitment carried out, and new staff properly oriented and trained once in place.
- Monitor the ongoing capacity building of operations team (SC, HR, Admin, IT & Security) through support to direct supervisors in achieving staff performance management agreements and individual development plans.
- Provide appropriate support to the team through regular site visits and replacement of staff if needed.
- Support field staff in the implementation of personnel policies including coaching, performance evaluation, staff development, and disciplinary measures.
Safety and Security Management
- Make sure all staff in the field site know and understand Bidibidi‘s security regulations;
- Document and address breaches of policy and disciplinary issues in coordination with the Security Manager.
- Monitor the Bidibidi security situation, attend security meetings and inform the Senior West Nile Coordinator, Security Manager, and SMT where appropriate, of developments through submission of accurate weekly and –where needed- ad-hoc security and incident reports.
Representation and Coordination
- Represent the IRC with local government authorities (administrative, sectoral and security officials), non-state actors, beneficiaries, communities, UN agencies, NGOs, and donors at the field site level as well as raise IRC visibility around response planning and implementation.
- Coordinate IRC Bidibidi’s activities with relevant officials and other humanitarian agencies;
- Develop regular reports to keep partners and stakeholders informed of IRC’s activities;
Program Administration and Support
- Oversee day-to-day implementation of all programs in the field site, providing constructive supervision to the program managers to implement, monitor, and evaluate work plans as agreed with the Deputy Director of Programs and Technical Coordinators;
- Oversee spending and targets set in project tools, including work plans, spending plans, and procurement plans, ensuring collaboration and coordination with Supply Chain, Human Resources and IT departments;
- Chair the monthly Budget versus Actuals (BvA) meetings at field level with the field Finance Lead, and in collaboration with sector Technical Coordinators to address any over/under expenditure issues through jointly developed corrective plans;
- Support integration across programs, facilitating regular coordination meetings and promoting active collaboration across sectors;
- Work closely with program managers to implement IRC’s client responsiveness initiative. Act as the focal person at field site for managing IRC’s client feedback register;
- Actively participate in grant and Exemplar meetings for West Nile, sharing support needs with the operations and program teams in Kampala;
- In close collaboration with Technical Coordinators, support the field-based team in proposal development efforts, including assessments, program design, and budgeting. Providing review for both Program and Operations inputs. Ensure key support needs for the field site are budgeted in new proposals, and contribute to and review budgets to ensure that they are reasonable and sufficient to cover operational needs of the field office.
Key Working Relationships
Position Reports to: Senior Field Coordinator, West Nile
Position directly supervises:Supply Chain, IT & Finance based in the field sites
Indirect Reporting: All Program Sector Heads for Bidibidi, West Nile
Other Internal and/or external contacts
Internal: SMT Kampala & West Nile
External:OPM, UNHCR, Sister NGOs, District Local Government
- Graduate degree in Development Studies, International Relations or similar.
- Good working knowledge of communications systems (satellite communications, VHF and HF radio) preferred.
- Good working knowledge of computer software: MS Word, Excel & email applications required; MS Access, Project & GIS preferred.
- At least 5 years’ experience of coordinating multi-sectorial humanitarian relief or development projects in Africa or similar context preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience in working with and coordinating with international and national partner organizations.
- Experience of working in complex emergency settings supporting construction of health facilities, staff housing as well as water and sanitation infrastructure in emergency or refugee settings.
- Experience managing a UNHCR, UNICEF, PEFPAR/CDC, USAID, ECHO, DFID, EU or OFDA funded project an added advantage.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organization skills with demonstrated ability to manage large amounts of information and prioritize work.
- Good security management skills
Skills and Abilities
- Strong sense of personal integrity.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Team spirit and problem solving abilities.
- Willingness to live and productively work in insecure, unstable and/or harsh environments
- Flexibility, adaptability and cultural sensitivity
- This position is open only to Ugandan nationals
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis