National Consultant – Development of Guidelines for practical use of developed MZ methodology tools within project local governments (LGs) and their local communities/mjesne zajednice (LC/MZs)
Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
In 2015, UNDP launched the implementation of the Strengthening the Role of Local Communities/Mjesne zajednice in Bosnia and Herzegovina Project, which is financed jointly by the Government of Switzerland and the Government of Sweden. The project goal is to improve quality of life of the citizens of Bosnia and Herzegovina (B&H) through improving local infrastructure and services, increasing democratic accountability and social inclusion. The chosen means to achieve this goal is through encouraging community-led local development and revitalising of mjesne zajednice (MZs) as the places where government comes closest to the people and as grass-roots organisations that serve communities, with the possibility for real participation and joint action.The Project's implementing strategy is to support and drive forward change from bottom-up by engaging citizens and communities and giving them a voice in local governance processes, and by revitalising MZs as spaces where citizens come together to interact and involve, to identify and solve problems, to transmit their concerns to the local government and participate in the ways it makes its plans, spends their money and takes decisions that affect people’s lives. In doing so, the Project places MZs and their communities at the centre of its work, while also relying on a broad range of relevant stakeholders to sustain and expand Project results and increase democratic accountability. The Project works with 24 LGs and 136 MZs country-wide.Purpose of the ConsultancyBeside the general overall entities, Brcko District and cantonal laws regulating work of LC/MZs, at the local level there are several legal documents regulating and describing work, responsibilities and rights of LC/MZs such as LC/MZs statutes, rulebooks as well as documents developed by the project such as LC/MZs roadmaps.The purpose of this consultancy is to perform comprehensive analysis of developed MZ methodology tools-set of several practical documents enabling systematic work of all LC/MZs as well as above mentioned legal LC/MZ documents at the local level in order to develop guidelines for adoption and practical use of developed documents (MZ methodology tools) within all partner LGs.This analysis will also include review of final reports and documents prepared by the external project partners with the special focus on developed guidelines and good-practice documents improving work of LC/MZs.This consultancy will also take into consideration the role of the LC/MZs proposed in the New Vision of Local Communities (MZs) in Bosnia and Herzegovina .The selected consultant will perform both desk review of current practices and documents as well as perform interviews with representatives of 7 project partner LG/MZs (3 in FBIH, 3 in RS and Brcko District).
Duties and Responsibilities
The main objective of the consultancy is to analyse existing documentation (developed set of MZ methodology tools/documents with special focus on Forums), legal documents regulating LC/MZ work at the local level, practices, organisation of work in LGs regard MZ role and responsibility/decision making processes/levels and prepare clear Guidelines (“step by step”) for practical use of existing and developed documents including the workflow chart (“hodogram”) and infographics. These Guidelines should be prepared in the manner that they are easy adoptable by LGs and consequently easy applicable in MZs.The Consultant is expected to combine desk review of existing documents and studies developed by the project with qualitative and quantitative field research. Selected national consultant is also expected to collect relevant data through interviews with representatives of 7 project partner LG/MZs (3 in FBIH, 3 in RS and Brcko District). Duties and Responsibilities:
Scope of workThis consultancy will contribute in defining how and when to use LG existing and by the project developed LC/MZ methodology tools (set of documents) based on an “step by step principles” enabling systematic work of LC/MZs as well as effective transfer of knowledge and good practices to all other LC/MZs not included in the project from the partner LGs and wither.In this context, the scope of work for this consultancy will target analysis of existing and by the project developed set of documents combining desk review with qualitative and quantitative field research. Selected national consultant is also expected to collect relevant data through interviews with at least 7 LGs (representatives from LGs and LC/MZs), 3 from each entity and Brcko District.
More specifically, the Consultant/s will undertake:
Task 1: Desk research of existing and by the project developed documents used at the local level for the efficient work of LC/MZs: desk review of the existing documents such as LC/MZ set of methodology tools, roadmaps, statutes, rulebooks etc. Expected duration of the assignment of selected consultant should not exceed 7 days;
Task 2: Performed field research - interviews with at least representatives from 7 selected project partner LG/MZs in order to develop practical guidelines for the use of developed MZ methodology. The special focus should be on processes regarding organisation, performance of forums of citizens/taking into consideration number of participants that could result in different approach to be undertake as well as follow up activities after Forums): In consultation with UNDP project staff, upon conclusion of the first task selected consultant will perform interviews with least seven (7) partner LGs related to practical use in the field of existing and by the project developed MZ methodology tools. Expected duration of the assignment of selected consultant should not exceed 14 days;
Task 3: Developed Guidelines and final report: Selected consultant will be obliged to develop following documents:
- Guidelines for the practical use of MZ methodology tools in the field with specific forms and templates included
- Workflow - hodogram following developed Guidelines (“step by step use of MZ methodology tools). Hodogram should be a workflow of the processes, identified by both Project and project partners, as improvement of MZ with special focus on processes following organization of MZ forum and reporting/steps to follow after the Forum and definition of citizens priorities. Developed workflow-hodogram has to indicate and follow LGs annual planning timeline.
- Infographic following developed Guidelines.
- Final report on performed consultancy.
Expected duration of the assignment of selected consultant should not exceed 4 days.
Deliverables and timelinesThe Consultant is responsible to provide the comprehensive analysis, while the Project Team will provide support in communication and coordination with the partner LGs.In addition to comprehensive analysis, the Consultant will submit the final report on conducted activities using standardised format provided by Project Team.The Consultant is expected to provide the following three key deliverables:
# Deliverables / outputs # of days per task Due date Percentage
- Task 1: Prepared and submitted desk research analyses report of existing and by the project developed documents used at the local level for the efficient work of LC/MZs 7 By the 15th of July 2019 (7 expert days) 28.00%
- Task 2: Performed field research - interviews with at least representatives from 7 selected project partner LG/MZs in order to develop practical guidelines for the use of developed MZ methodology. The special focus should be on processes regarding organisation, performance of forums of citizens/taking into consideration number of participants that could result in different approach to be undertake as well as follow up activities after Forums) - 7 Field reports prepared and submitted from organised and held interviews with the special focus on specific JLSs and MZs processes regarding application in practice of developed MZ methodology. 14 By the 15th of August 2019 (14 expert days) 56.00%
- Task 3: Developed Guidelines with workflow and infographic and final report 4 By the end of August 2019 (4 expert days) 16.00%
It is envisaged that the level of effort will not exceed 25 expert days.
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness by modelling UN values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Demonstrates professional competence to meet responsibilities and post requirements and is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Results-Orientation: Plans and produces quality results to meet established goals, generates innovative, practical solutions to challenging situations;
- Communication: Excellent communication skills, including the ability to convey complex concepts and recommendations, both orally and in writing, in a clear and persuasive style tailored to match different audiences;
- Team work: Ability to interact, establish and maintain effective working relations with a culturally diverse team;
- Client orientation: Ability to establish and maintain productive partnerships with national partners and stakeholders and pro-activeness in identifying of beneficiaries and partners’ needs and matching them to appropriate solutions.
- Strong analytical and reporting abilities; Excellent organizational and facilitation skills; Excellent public presentation and moderation skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University degree in public administration, legal and social studies or relevant field.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in the field of public administration in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Proven ability to undertake professional research using both quantitative and qualitative methods;
- Proven skills and previous experience in facilitation of public consultative policy development processes in Bosnia and Herzegovina, engaging a diverse set of public, non-governmental and civic participants;
- Proven communication and advocacy skills, and ability to work in an environment requiring liaison and collaboration with multiple actors including government representatives, donors and other stakeholders;
- Proven skills in preparation of similar documents such as guidelines, rulebooks etc.
- Proven analytical skills and ability to conceptualize and write concisely and clearly;
- Previous work for UN agencies or concrete work at local government level in the country is considered as unique asset.
- Fluency in languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina (excellent writing, editing and communication skills). Fluency in English is an asset.
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office applications) and ability to use information technologies as a tool and resource.
Award Criteria: The consultancy will be awarded to the highest qualified applicant through the combination of technical qualifications and financial offer.
Contracts based on the lump sum
The financial proposal will specify total lump sum amount for the assignment with the breakdown of the costs per deliverable and travel costsTravel:All envisaged travel costs must be included in the financial proposal.
Long/Shortlisting CriteriaCriteria Weight Max Points
- University degree in public administration, social sciences or related field., 30% 30;
- Relevant experience in similar assignments 30% 30;
- Methodological approach to the assignment and stakeholder’s involvement 30% 30;
- Previous experience with UNDP or international UN Agencies 10% 10
Total 100% 100Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 70 points would be considered for an interview
Technical Evaluation CriteriaCriteria Weight Max. Point
- Qualification Score 50% 50;
- Interview 50% 50.
Total 100% 100Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 70 points would be considered for the Final Evaluation
Final EvaluationThe final evaluation score will be based on Combined Scoring Method where technical evaluation will be weighted a maximum of 70% and combined with the financial offer which will be weighted a maximum of 30%.
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, andb) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- * Technical Criteria weight-70%
- * Financial Criteria weight- 30%
Applicants are required to submit an application including:
Explaining why they are the most suitable for the work;
- Brief methodology for this assignment, with the focus on research methods to be used and approach to stakeholder engagement;
- Completed and signed the Offeror’s template Confirming Interest and Availability (please follow the link: https://popp.undp.org/_layouts/15/WopiFrame.aspx?sourcedoc=/UNDP_POPP_DOCUMENT_LIBRARY/Public/PSU_%20Individual%20Contract_Offerors%20Letter%20to%20UNDP%20Confirming%20Interest%20and%20Availability.docx&action=default);
- Latest personal CV, including past experience from similar projects, and email, telephone and any other contact details for references;
- Financial proposal - which will separately specify professional fee, indicating number of anticipated working days, travel costs (air-ticket or use of private vehicle), living allowance, and all other applicable costs.
Please scan all above mentioned documents and upload as one attachment only online through this website.
- For an assignment requiring travel, consultants of 65 years or more require full medical examination and statement of fitness to work to engage in the consultancy.
- Due to large number of potential applicants, only competitively selected candidates will be contacted for remaining steps of the service procurement process.