Senior Water Network Engineer
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Job-specific
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen, in partnership with bilateral donors, national governments, and other UN agencies. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development, and technical management, and provides financial, human resources, and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, in order to support the response to the current needs and national priorities in the region.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
Background Information - Job-specific
The Programme aims to promote social stability in Jordan through the improved quality of, and access to water supply services for Jordanian residents in the northern governorate, as well as for the Syrian refugees in the host communities in the surrounding areas, through the construction of new water distribution networks, in addition to improving the existing ones.
The Senior Water Network Engineer shall provide technical assistance and expertise with reference to the feasibility/design/construction requirements as well as field coordination, ensuring high quality and consistency of work. The Senior Water Network Engineer shall supervise a diverse technical team promotes a collaborative, client focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the project team. S/he will also provide mentorship to junior team members ensuring knowledge transfer for capacity development.
The Senior Water Network Engineer will report directly to the Project Manager and will be required to assist in the following tasks:
- Supervision on the General Construction of Water Network Project
- Feasibility / needs assessment
- Design Management of Water Network Project
- Knowledge management
Supervision on Construction
- Plan and coordinate Project’s works activities with the Project Manager.
- Advise on timely action to prevent potential delays and/or cost overruns that can be avoided.
- Report and recommend remedial actions regarding potential delays and/or cost overruns to the Project Manager.
- Provide supervision of project’s work progress and quality for on-time project delivery.
- Assist the PM in managing the final hand over and acceptance report based on technical specifications against the approved project.
- Provide technical data and information about project work to Project Manager for reporting purposes.
- Ensure UNOPS FIDIC contracts are administered appropriately.
- Ensure proper liaison and coordination with the Municipal Authority with the support of the Project Technical Advisor.
- Accompany all site visits by any Authority and Donor representatives in the absence of the PM.
- Provide a monthly report to the Project Manager detailing all project matters including quality, health and safety, environmental and financial, as well as any issues relating to possible delays, cost overruns, variations and any other matter as agreed with the Project Manager.
- Supervise construction works and administer works execution as per the contractual provisions and the design specifications.
- Ensure quantity/ quality control and time schedule consistency.
- Verify that works are consistent with the project technical specifications and inform promptly of eventual deviations.
- Ensure constructions works are completed on time, within budget and to quality standards.
- Provide regular supervision of the project work progress and quality for on time delivery.
- Any other duties requested by the Project Manger to ensure successful implementation of the Water Networks Project.
Feasibility / Needs Assessment
- Complete needs assessment, organize preliminary studies and monitor/supervising team.
- Support the review of requests for new construction and rehabilitation works.
- Carry out assessments and prepare reports with recommendations for follow up actions.
- Provide training and technology transfer to Junior site staff personnel and advice on good construction practices, good environmental management practices, and appropriate health and safety standards during construction
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for development planning and knowledge building.
Project Management Procedures:
- Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Project Manager, follow the Project Management Cycle Instructions and ensure compliance with UNOPS Organizational Directives, Administrative Instructions and Project Management Manual,
- Support in preparing the following reports:
- Highlight Reports,
- Risk and issue logs and registers
- End Stage Reports,
- Operational Closure Checklist,
- End Project Report,
- Close out Report.
- Being fully informative with Project Management Practices and “OneUNOPS Projects” System
- Support the PM in ensuring that all expenditure comply with UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations,
- Upon request, support the PM in managing budgets, cash flow and obligations to ensure that deliverables are met and payments to contractors and personnel are received on time,
- Understand UNOPS overheads, allocable charges, and related corporate charges as they apply to the project,
- Understand the unique structures of the UNOPS and budget appropriately for personnel,
The Senior Water Network Engineer shall also:
- Prepare the technical site reports requested by the PM,
- Provide technical support to project procurement and finance specialists when needed.
- Set the Health & Safety requirements on site through exemplary behavior and identifying deficiencies.
- Attend the weekly coordination meetings with the contractor, maintain minutes and document issues.
- Assist the junior site engineers and staff with site monitoring and supervision.
- Carrying out other tasks as assigned by the Project Manager.
The Senior Water Network Engineer shall be responsible for:
ii.Bill of Quantities
ix.Instruction to contractor register
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- The Senior Water Network Engineer shall assist the PM in preparing a monthly report regarding the technical status of the project.
- The Senior Water Network Engineer shall show active participation in weekly project staff meeting.
- The Senior Water Network Engineer shall compare planned results with actual results on field.
- Assist in preparing project related documentations such as periodic progress reports, site monitoring reports, stakeholder meeting minutes, engineer's instructions and variation orders, contractor's bills review reports, certifications, client hand-over documents and contracts close-out reports.
- Identify and control any environmental risks that can affect the site or the neighboring domestic areas around the site.
- Support the Project Manager in identifying and managing risks throughout the project cycle.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- A Master’s degree in civil / water engineering from a reputable university or a combination of Bachelor’s degree civil / water or mechanical engineering with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
- Fluency in both English and Arabic is required
- Residency in Irbid Governorate is an asset.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in infrastructure projects, in which 4 years of experience related to water network construction projects is required
- Site engineering experience in highly developed engineering environments is required.
- Knowledge of UN policies, procedures and operations is desired.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: ICA
- Contract level: Local ICA Specialist, level 9
- Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.