Hackathon Design Expert (1 position)
Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
The consultancy is planned within the Economic Governance for Growth (EGG) Project (2018-2021). The Project is primarily funded by the Government of the Kingdom of Norway and co-funded and implemented by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH). As part of the UNDP BiH’s Rural and Regional Development Sector’s portfolio, the EGG Project has an overall objective to improve economic development in BiH and create employment opportunities in promising industrial sectors. Project activities include support to start-up development in advanced technological sectors and harmonizing formal education with the needs of a future-facing economy.In order to inspire innovative solutions to persistent societal and economic problems disrupting development in BiH, the Project also aims to support two hackathons expected to result in viable and workable prototypes.A hackathon is an innovation event where participants take a closer look at complex issues and aim to connect them to cutting-edge technologies and creative solutions. Effectively, a hackathon is an interdisciplinary event where participants from different areas of expertise collaborate in teams to find innovative solutions to specific challenges under expert supervision in a limited timeframe. During a hackathon, participants aim to develop viable ideas into actual products or prototypes. The events also offer opportunities for extensive networking; connecting with people from other areas of expertise can often drive surprising collaborations. The purpose of this consultancy is thus to design the concept of two project-supported hackathons expected to contribute to innovation in the provision of communal and public administration services by employing new technologies and engaging relevant stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
In this context, the Consultant will perform the following tasks:
- Design concept note to guide the hackathon process from pre-stage to full development;
- Oversee and support organization of two hackathon events by a contracted service provider (both taking place in Sarajevo).
Task 1 – Design concept note to guide hackathon processAs part of this task, the Consultant will:
- Get acquainted with project context, goals and target audiences;
- Analyse relevant trends in innovation, in particular related to access to public services;
- In cooperation with Project Team, draft concept notes for two hackathon events tackling i) communal services and ii) public administration performance, respectively. Each concept note will lay out the following:
i) Problem statement;ii) Desired event outcomes;iii) Ideal participant pool and profiles, as well as requirements for participation;iv) Outreach strategies to ensure participation of targeted groups;v) Ideal expert and judge profiles;vi) Ideal partners and/or sponsors.
- Assist in drafting the terms of reference for service provider with the ToR expected to contain desired vendor qualifications, tasks the vendor is expected to perform; required logistics as well as any communication requirements, among others. The ToR will also lay out the desired number of participants per event (30-40) as well as the number of ideas expected top be generated and developed (in the range of 3-5).
Task 2 - Oversee and support organization of two hackathon events by a contracted service provider
- • Assist the Project Team in evaluating offers from prospective vendors;
- • In concert with Project Team, oversee thematic as well as logistical preparations for the two events;
- • Take part in the two events in order to provide on-site assistance to vendor as well as Project Team during the conduct of the hackathons.
- • Deliver a report assessing the implementation of the two events along with an overview of lessons learned.
Deliverables/outputsThe Project Team will closely oversee service provision, working in continuous coordination with the Consultant.The service deliverables, including papers and all relevant materials, will be available for future use within the EGG Project and by the relevant stakeholders, as well as by UNDP and other projects in the relevant fields. The entire service will be delivered in English and official languages of BiH.
The Consultant is responsible for the following deliverables:
# Deliverables / outputs # of days per task Due date Percentage
1 Task 1 – Design concept note to guide hackathon process
- Two hackathon concept notes submitted and approved.
- Two Terms of Reference prepared. 6 expert days Beginning of July 2019 50%
2 Task 2 - Oversee and support organization of two hackathon events by a contracted service provider
- Vendor selection completed.
- Report on hackathon implementation submitted and approved. 10 expert days By end of September 2019 50%
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism;
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Demonstrates professional competence to meet responsibilities and post requirements and is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Results-Orientation: Plans and produces quality results to meet established goals, generates innovative, practical solutions to challenging situations;
- Communication: Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities, including the ability to convey complex concepts and recommendations, both orally and in writing, in a clear and persuasive style tailored to match target audiences;
- Team work: Ability to interact, establish and maintain effective working relations with a culturally diverse team;
- Client orientation: Ability to establish and maintain productive partnerships with national partners and stakeholders and pro-activeness in identifying of beneficiaries and partners’ needs and matching them to appropriate solutions.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in economics, IT, public finances or public administration, communications or other related field. Master’s degree will be considered an asset.
- 5 years of relevant experience in the field of event management, innovation, ideation process planning, strategic development or IT;
- Experience in working with various target groups in solutions mapping and developing products from ideation stage;
- Proven experience in organizing hackathons or hackathon-like events (open innovation challenges or similar);
- Proven analytical skills and ability to conceptualise and write concisely and clearly;
- Proven communication, facilitation and advocacy skills, and ability to work in an environment requiring liaison and collaboration with multiple actors including government representatives, donors and other stakeholders.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills in in the official languages in Bosnia and Herzegovina and in English.
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office applications) and ability to use information technologies as a tool and resource.
Award Criteria: The consultancy will be awarded to the highest qualified applicant through the combination of technical qualifications and financial offer.
Lump sum contractsThe financial proposal shall specify a total lump sum amount, and payment terms around specific and measurable (qualitative and quantitative) deliverables (i.e. whether payments fall in installments or upon completion of the entire contract). Payments are based upon output, i.e. upon delivery of the services specified in the TOR. In order to assist the requesting unit in the comparison of financial proposals, the financial proposal will include a breakdown of this lump sum amount (including travel, per diem, and number of anticipated working days).
Travel;All envisaged travel costs must be included in the financial proposal. This includes all travel to join duty station/repatriation travel. In general, UNDP does not accept travel costs exceeding those of an economy class ticket. Should the IC wish to travel on a higher class he/she should do so using their own resources.
Qualification RequirementsCriteria Weight Max. Point
- University degree in economics, IT, public finances or public administration, communications or other related field. Master’s degree will be considered an asset. 30% 30
- Previous experience in similar assignments 70% 70
Total 100% 100Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 90 points would be considered for Technical Evaluation
Technical EvaluationCriteria Weight Max. Point
- Qualification Score 10% 10
- 5 years of relevant experience in the field of event management, innovation, ideation process planning, strategic development or IT; 45% 45
- Experience in working with various target groups in solutions mapping and developing products from ideation stage; 10% 10
- Experience in organizing hackathons or hackathon-like events (open innovation challenges or similar); 35% 35
Total 100% 100Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 80 points would be considered for the Final Evaluation
Final EvaluationThe final evaluation score will be based on Combined Scoring Method where technical evaluation will be weighted a maximum of 80% and combined with the financial offer which will be weighted a maximum of 20%.
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, andb) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- * Technical Criteria weight-70%
- * Financial Criteria weight- 30%
Applicants are required to submit an application including:
- Proposal, Explaining why they are the most suitable for the work;
- Completed and signed the Offeror’s template Confirming Interest and Availability (please follow the link: https://popp.undp.org/_layouts/15/WopiFrame.aspx?sourcedoc=/UNDP_POPP_DOCUMENT_LIBRARY/Public/PSU_%20Individual%20Contract_Offerors%20Letter%20to%20UNDP%20Confirming%20Interest%20and%20Availability.docx&action=default);
- Latest personal CV, including past experience from similar projects, and email, telephone and any other contact details for references;
- Proposal: Explaining why they are the most suitable for the work, including a proposal of the concept or the event generally explaining the goals and the organizational flow of the event;
- Examples of the previously organized events (description, internet links, photos and a showcase of applications/products that were developed);
- Financial proposal which will separately specify professional fee, indicating number of anticipated working days, travel costs (air-ticket or use of private vehicle), living allowance, and all other applicable costs.
Please scan all above mentioned documents and upload as one attachment only online through this website.
- For an assignment requiring travel, consultants of 65 years or more require full medical examination and statement of fitness to work to engage in the consultancy.
- Due to large number of potential applicants, only competitively selected candidates will be contacted for remaining steps of the service procurement process.