Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
About the role: This is an indefinite, replacement role based in Addis Ababa for Ethiopian nationals only. Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Ethiopia at the time of application
You will report to the CD and will line manage the resilience, urban and education programme staff and North and South Area Coordinators.
We would like you to start on 1 July 2019.
Your purpose: You are a member of the Country Management Team and will lead the effective and efficient delivery of Concern Worldwide’s resilience, education and urban work in Ethiopia. As a key member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) you will contribute to the strategic oversight of the country programme, and represent Concern to donors and government. You will ensure that Concern’s programmes are implemented to a high standard and serve the needs of the extreme poor in a timely manner. The post holder will champion equality, particularly gender equality, and accountability, and support the CD to deliver Concern Worldwide Ethiopia’s ambitious country strategic plan.
You will be responsible for:
Managing your teams for effective implementation of resilience, education and urban programmes
• Oversee timely and effective implementation of portfolio programmes, ensuring donor criteria are met
• Ensure all programme implementation is guided by result based management principles and have effective planning and implementation review processes in place.
• Line manage programme coordinators and area coordinators ensuring performance objectives are aligned to programme delivery and are achieved.
• Lead on resource planning for resilience, education and urban programming including assisting in HR planning, recruitment and staff development.
• Coordinate the programme activities across programmes, sectors and approaches; coaching and mentoring staff and ensuring complementary and integrated approaches.
• Manage budgets and resources in line with organisational procedures; this includes, preparation of programme budgets collaboratively with programme and finance staff and tracking programme expenditure through monthly grant management meetings
• Organise quarterly programme review meetings
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
• Ensure programme M&E system is in line with organisational guidelines and programme design.
• Liaise with PQU to ensure M&E of the programme portfolio is in line with Concern M&E policy.
• Undertake regular monitoring visits to programme areas and provide feedback to programme staff and management.
• Identify areas of learning and good practice, and share these with internal and external stakeholders.
Donor and Grant Management
• Track programme implementation progress, programme context and provide regular updates to Country Director and SMT.
• Coordinate with programme managers, finance and support departments to ensure timely grant utilisation and compliance with donor requirements.
• Develop an annual reporting calendar for development programmes and lead in ensuring that good quality reports are submitted in line with donor requirements.
As a member of the Senior Management Team, provide effective leadership to the organisation. Including, but not limited to:
• Active participation in Senior Management meetings, contributing significantly to decisions on policy and strategic direction.
• Ensuring that the policies and strategies of Concern Worldwide are incorporated in our work as well as proposing, updating and implementing changes to existing policies and strategies within Ethiopia programme.
• Active contribution in following up Country Strategic Plan elaboration and implementation
Lead the process of new programme development and design including preparation of concept notes and proposals.
• Take the lead role in conceptualizing, designing and development of new programmes in line with How Concern Understands Extreme Poverty
• Lead programme teams and various stakeholders in programme and proposal development processes.
• Develop effective linkages with Government, donors, strategic networks and partners to ensure Concern’s programmes are highly relevant to the wider development.
• Ensure organisational approaches such as equality, risk and vulnerability and accountability are addressed in programme design and implementation approaches.
Ensure a comprehensive funding strategy is in place and meet organizational funding targets to effectively support delivery of development programmes. Including, but not limited to:
• Researching and analysing donor funding priorities as well as keeping informed on available funding opportunities in the various sectors and geographical areas of Concern’s programming in Ethiopia.
• Formulation of short, medium and long term funding strategy for programmes in consultation with the Senior Management Team and headquarters.
• Ensuring submission of high quality proposals to meet the funding requirements of development programmes
· Responsibility to manage a budget volume of around 3 million Euros per annum.
· Ensure best value for money and facilitate process to improve accountability to beneficiaries and donors.
· Ensure Core Humanitarian Standards are met throughout programme portfolio
Concern Worldwide Ethiopia Programme, like other INGOs working in Ethiopia, sometimes has to operate in risky environment/areas. Concern has security management plan to deal with threats and to minimize the risk.
Education & Qualifications Required:
ü Relevant Master’s degree qualification (agriculture, social science, health, economics, rural development etc.)
ü A minimum of 2 years senior management level experience with an INGO
ü Demonstrated track record in Programme & Project Management
ü Experience in Monitoring and Evaluation techniques, accountability to beneficiaries and mainstreaming
ü Excellent management/leadership experience
ü Proven record in leading successful proposal development and resource mobilization
ü Strong procurement and financial management
ü Good experience in networking, team building and mentoring
ü Strong staff management and development skills including Training, coaching and mentoring skills and ability to motivate and develop skills of others
You must have good prioritization skills, with effective decision making abilities, to cope in a dynamic environment and to operate on multiple fronts simultaneously. Concern as a humanitarian organization responds to emergencies which may affect routine work, as we prioritise humanitarian response.
We would also like:
· You to have international experience
· You to be flexible and reliable
· You to be culturally sensitive and empathic to others
· You to be able to work under pressure and to strict deadlines;
· You to have some sense of humour
· You to travel frequently to rural field locations and spend periods of time away from the capital in fairly basic conditions
· A ‘can do’ attitude
Interested candidates, who meet the above requirements, should submit their applications through our website https://jobs.concern.net by Friday, 28th June 2019 Sunday**.**
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
*Concern has an organisational Code of Conduct (CCoC) with three Associated Policies; the Programme Participant Protection Policy (P4), the Child Safeguarding Policy and the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Policy. These have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants from exploitation, and to clarify the responsibilities of Concern staff, consultants, visitors to the programme and partner organisation, and the standards of behaviour expected of them. In this context, staff have a responsibility to the organisation to strive for, and maintain, the highest standards in the day-to-day conduct in their workplace in accordance with Concern’s core values and mission. Any candidate offered a job with Concern Worldwide will be expected to sign the Concern Staff Code of Conduct and Associated Policies as an appendix to their contract of employment. By signing the Concern Code of Conduct, candidates acknowledge that they have understood the content of both the Concern Code of Conduct and the Associated Policies and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these policies.
Concern Worldwide is a non-governmental international humanitarian organization dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working towards the ultimate elimination of extreme poverty in the world’s poorest countries.
‘Concern’ is the trading name of ‘Concern Worldwide’, a company limited by guarantee, registered number 39647; registered charity number CHY 5745, registered in Ireland, registered address is 52-55 Lower Camden Street, Dublin 2, Ireland.
Follow Concern online: www.concern.net
CONCERN WORLDWIDE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT CHARGE FOR ANY KIND OF RECRUITMENT **