Project Technical Officer - PVE & Social Cohesion - SC 9 - UNDP JOCO
The UNDP country programme for the Kingdom of Jordan delivers direct policy and technical support to provide effective solutions to the development challenges of exclusion and vulnerability. In partnership with the Government of Jordan and other developmental partners, UNDP promotes a resilience-based approach that ensures sustainability, coherence and complementarity of results in support of the 2030 Agenda and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
In its work on Social Cohesion and Community Security, UNDP develops effective collaboration mechanisms with all levels of stakeholders– including the government institutions, NGOs, civil society, and private sector– to prevent violent extremism and to provide opportunities for citizens to be equipped to facilitate community dialogues with relevant government institutions. UNDP also supports the national efforts on PVE and enhance ownership of relevant partners in preventing violent extremism in Jordan, particularly through encouraging top-down, bottom-up, and horizontal approaches among government institutions, community-based organizations (CBOs), civil society organizations (CSOs), and international communities.
The overall goal of the project “Preventing Violent Extremism and Building Resilience of Livelihoods in Jordan through Humanitarian-Development-Peace Nexus and Human Security Approaches” is to support the stabilization and resilience-building of Jordan through a comprehensive approach that tackles identified drivers of the violent extremism and supports the Government of Jordan in implementing its National Action Plan (NAP) on Prevention of Violent Extremism (PVE) and related activities. The project will seek to improve social cohesion and livelihoods, especially between Syrian refugees, vulnerable youth and women, returning foreign fighters, and Jordanian host communities, with a special focus on urbanized areas, by strengthening operationalization of the HDP nexus and human security approaches.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Community Security and Social Cohesion (CSSC) Team Leader, and the day-to-day supervision by the Programme Specialist, Social Cohesion, the Project Technical Officer, Prevention of Violent Extremism (PVE) and Social Cohesion, will be responsible for providing technical expertise on PVE, social cohesion and Human Security in the context of Jordan, project management and coordination, research and political analysis on policies and practices related to PVE, social cohesion, and human security in the Kingdom. In a close collaboration with relevant government institutions and civil society, the Project Technical Officer is envisaged to build a strong working-level national partnership to tackle the key drivers of violent extremism in the context of Jordan and reinforce a network for the monitoring and evaluation results for PVE and social cohesion activities in the Kingdom. Her/his tasks will be undertaken within the framework of the project, and expected to accelerate the implementation of the activities under the project, which is fully aligned with the PVE NAP.
- Monitor the implementation and delivery of activities and outcomes of the project/activities related to PVE, social cohesion, Early Warning System, Humanitarian-Development-Peace Nexus, and Human Security;
- Coordinate with implementing partners (i.e. government institutions and NGOs/CBOs/CSOs) and closely monitor the implementation of their activities, and ensure the timely delivery;
- Participate in the development of the project’s work plans and the correspondent budget; tracking expenses and monthly follow-ups;
- Draft TORs for national and international consultants, and request for proposals (RFP) and participate in the selection process;
- Partner with relevant government institutions and other NGOs/CBOs/CSOs, in particular, in the process of development, monitoring and reporting of the Jordan Prevention Platform and Crisis Risk Early Warning system;
- Closely work with other members of PVE and social cohesion project team;
Monitoring and evaluation
- Support Programme Specialist on the monitoring of the project activities and draft monthly narrative reports on the progress, accomplishments, difficulties, lessons learnt etc.;
- Ensure the implementation of the activities to flag potential risks and issues to the Team Leader and Programme Specialist;
- As part of PVE and social cohesion M&E initiative, regularly monitor and evaluate national PVE and social cohesion activities/results, and report back to the project team;
- Identify potential partners, including youth activists, CBOs amongst others, and understand the needs and capacities as a basis to understand and further accomplish PVE and social cohesion M&E activities in Jordan;
Research and policy analysis
- On a daily basis, research and analyse relevant data and information, new development, existing regulations, guidelines, government strategies relevant to the activities of the project and issues related to PVE, social cohesion, early warning, H-D-P nexus, and human security in Jordan;
- Coordinate with potential stakeholders and other relevant partners on the development of PVE and social cohesion practices/policies in the Kingdom;
- Based on the research findings and analysis, take a lead in preparing communication/publicity materials for relevant projects e.g. posters, brochures, newsletter, etc.;
- Participate in the designing of evidence-based initiatives to promote the role of PVE and social cohesion in the 2030 Agenda and human security.
Other tasks as directed by the Programme Specialist, Team Leader and/or CO Senior Management
- Innovation: Creates new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them;
- Leadership: Plans and acts transparently, actively works to remove barriers;
- People Management: Models high professional standards and motivates excellence in others;
- Communication: Gains trust of peers, partners, clients by presenting complex concepts in practical terms to others;
- Delivery: Critically assesses value and relevance of existing policy / practice and contributes to enhanced delivery of products, services, and innovative solutions;
- Project Management: Plans, organizes, and controls resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals;
- Monitoring and evaluation: Knowledgeable in methodologies, assessment tools, systems and apply practical experience in planning, monitoring, evaluating and reporting, and able to apply to practical situations;
- Civil society engagement: Creates and implements civil society initiatives and apply across UNDP's development work.
- Social cohesion: Knowledge of methods and experience of supporting communities to achieve greater inclusiveness, more civic participation and creating opportunities for upward mobility.
Required Skills and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, business administration, economics, sociology, social anthropology, or any related field.
Fluency in both English and Arabic (written and spoken).
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.