Junior Communications Consultant
The Corporate Communications department of the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) is seeking a candidate for a one-year, paid consultancy.
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) is the global leader in publicly-funded maize and wheat research and related farming systems. Headquartered near Mexico City, CIMMYT works with hundreds of partners throughout the developing world to sustainably increase the productivity of maize and wheat cropping systems, thus improving global food security and reducing poverty. CIMMYT is a member of the CGIAR System and leads the CGIAR Research Programs on Maize and Wheat, and the Excellence in Breeding Platform. The Center receives support from national governments, foundations, development banks and other public and private agencies.
The Junior Communications Consultant will be based in the organization’s global headquarters in Texcoco, 40 km outside of Mexico City.
Under the guidance and supervision of the CRP Research Program on Wheat (WHEAT) Communications Officer and the Head of Communications, the Junior Communications Consultant will develop/write/edit communication products related to WHEAT activities, objectives and research partners targeting a wide range of audiences.
- Develop, write, edit communication materials, e.g. reports, fact sheets, booklets, hand-outs, presentations;
- Help identify topics, research, write, and edit articles and interviews for the wheat.org website and the quarterly online WheatWire newsletter;
- Assist in managing WHEAT CRP social media presence: identify content and images for Facebook posts and tweets; monitor, analyze and regularly document social media presence and refine approaches accordingly;
- Participate in developing and implementing communications strategies (including associated workplans) in support of specific WHEAT activities and outputs;
- Participate in planning, material development, logistics for occasional conferences and workshops
- Proven writing and editing/proofreading skills
- Comfort with reading and summarizing technical content
- Experience with social media content development and monitoring
- Ability to manage simultaneous multiple assignments
- Experience working on deadline
- Interest in agricultural/ international development, agricultural research, and/or agriculture or food-related science
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Proactive, good interpersonal and teamwork skills, as well as the ability to work independently
- Interest and/or skills with online communications platforms such as Mailchimp, SPARK, etc. a plus
- Interest or background in journalism or news writing a plus
- Willingness to travel within Mexico for special activities, story development as needed
- International background and/or interest in international affairs a plus
The ideal candidate will be able to commit for at least one year and have an undergraduate degree in communications and/or journalism. This is an entry-level position. Knowledge of Spanish, science, agriculture and agricultural development are advantages.
CIMMYT offers Junior Consultants a monthly stipend paid in US dollars, a housing allowance, health insurance and an airline ticket to and from Mexico. CIMMYT will assist in obtaining necessary travel documents, including a visa. Transportation will be provided, depending on the availability of seats on the CIMMYT bus, to and from Mexico City or Texcoco.
To apply, please email a letter of interest, a resume, two writing samples and contact information for two references to Marcia MacNeil, CGIAR Research Program on Wheat Communications Officer at email@example.com.
CIMMYT is an equal-opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.