Database Consultant (national)
UNICEF Romania is looking for a national Database Consultant (full-time, office based) to provide administrative support for UNCIEF donor database
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, equity.
In 2018, UNICEF started a new five-year country partnership with Romania. The overall aim of the partnership is to continue to accelerate the universal realization of child rights and improve the situation of excluded children living in marginalized communities with large minorities and in most vulnerable and deprived areas. This is accompanied by promoting a culture of rights, social norms and alliances that will benefit all children and enhance equity and solidarity in the country.
Also, UNICEF continues to be the ‘Voice’ for children and adolescents, advocating and communicating around key national policies, social issues, mind sets and attitudes. In the current Country Programme, UNICEF in Romania continues to raise funds locally, both for national projects and for other countries.
The private sector’s role as a key contributor to other resources is expected to grow. UNICEF fundraisers from both the private individuals and the corporate sector are bringing in the market new fundraising techniques that provided excellent results in other markets.
How can you make a difference?
In line with the Private Sector FR Plan (PSP) for 2018-2022, the Country Office (CO) is increasing its fundraising efforts from private individuals, with a focus on building long term sustainable income, through monthly (pledge) donations. This will be primarily achieved by growing the number of pledge donors acquired through current channels (direct debit, online and SMS) and new methods of pledge donor recruitment (for e.g. through partnerships with companies).
In December 2018, following a service procurement process, a contract was signed with an external sales and training agency, with the objectives of scaling up the number of face-to-face fundraisers and increasing the number of direct debit contracts signed.
Several corporate pathway to pledge campaigns are under development, with the objective of significantly scaling up the number of individual pledge donors acquired. A donor stewardship consultant was hired in April 2019, who is focusing on developing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating a donor stewardship programme. This will increase the workload related to donor data segmentation, administration, reporting and data integration among various platforms.
The forecasted volume of private individual donors planned to be acquired through various FR campaigns, the scaling up of the number of face-to-face fundraisers and the implementation of the stewardship program will result in an increased workload regarding donor data collection and uploading, downloading from various platforms (for example: Donor Perfect (the current donor database used by the CO), the SMS donor platform (administered by a social integrator), the online payment provider platform (PayU), the telemarketing agency etc.), database administration, segmentation, data correction, conciliation and reporting.
Considering the forecasted increasing results for private individuals fundraising, the office needs a consultant to provide support with donor database administration and management: ensuring the accuracy of the donor personal data collection, maintaining the accuracy of the donor database, correcting data errors, uploading donor data in various platforms, processing information about pledge donors, monthly payments, generating reports etc.
The key tasks expected to be fulfilled by the consultant are:
- data entry in various platforms, as needed;
- conciliating donor data between, following the internal (data received from face-to-face fundraisers, from telemarketing responsible) and external (data received from direct debit and SMS social integrator, data from online platform, from telemarketing agency etc.) data flow;
- timely processing the information received from third parties (telemarketing agency, direct debit and SMS social integrator etc.), updating donor data and statuses in Donor Perfect and in various excel files used for telemarketing, e-mailings etc.;
- compiling data about face-to-face fundraisers’ efficiency and generating fundraising monthly reports, according to various campaigns and KPIs;
- regularly checking the accuracy of donor personal data collected through various channels (hardcopy direct debit contracts, excel files received from telemarketing agency, online platform) and making the necessary corrections in the platforms used for donor management;
- correcting data inaccuracies, as needed;
- matching data from various sources (for example: donor payment information received from the social integrator to the existing donor database);
- checking the accuracy of donor data used for various e-mailings (for example: checking donor name spelling, cleaning “dummy” data etc.);
- generating donor database segments, according to various criteria, to be used for donor stewardship e-mailing campaigns;
- maintaining and accurate donor database, timely updating donor statuses and personal data;
- providing various statistics and donor information to be used for segmentation.
- up to date and accurate donor database;
- regular reports, as requested.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
For every Child, you demonstrate…
- a minimum of three years of work experience, preferably in the private sector, including progressively increasing responsibilities, from data collection, conciliation, updating to database administration, data analysis and reporting;
- hands-on database tuning and troubleshooting experience;
- ability to operate, optimize and personalize database software and Microsoft applications;
- completion of secondary education, preferably with specialization in the area of information technology/ databases, data analysis;
university degree in information technology, computer science or related fields would be an asset.
- advanced computer skills, including internet navigation and various office applications;
- working with excel files at a highly proficient level; Must be proficient with advanced analytic functions such as vlookup, named ranges, pivot tables, formulas;
- knowledge of Microsoft Access database is a plus;
- advanced understanding and knowledge of database systems;
- analytical, extremely high attention to details;
- planning and monitoring skills;
- ability to organize work and projects;
- ability to make timely and quality judgments and decisions;
- very good knowledge of English and Romanian.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Deadline for applications 30 June 2019
Contract type Consultancy
Contract duration 11 months (with the possibility of extension, subject to the
results obtained and availability of funds)
Start date July / August 2019
General conditions: Procedures and Logistics
- the consultant will work under the supervision of the Fundraising Officer;
- the duration of the contract is 11 months, with the possibility of extension, depending on the results obtained and availability of funds;
- the consultant will work in the UNICEF office based in Bucharest;
- all information and communications of the team with UNICEF or other partners during this consultancy and in relation to it will be confidential, if not agreed otherwise;
- all information regarding databases, donor data and information will be treated under the strictest confidence, respecting UNICEF procedures on handling personal data;
- decision-making is limited to implementation, methods of work and prioritizing project activities in accordance with established work plan;
- Payments will be made monthly, based on the activity report approved by supervisor.
Note: consultants will sign health statement prior to taking the assignment and the designation form will be completed.
The consultant will be responsible for paying income taxes and any other due taxes as per applicable national legislation.
Application deadline: June 30th, 2019.
The application must include:
1. an updated CV focused on the skills and experience required by the current consultancy;
2. a financial offer as per attached template, specifying the requested gross daily fee in RON, taking into consideration that the consultant will be responsible for paying all his/her due income taxes as per Romanian fiscal legislation. Applications which do not include the financial offer will not be considered.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.