About the Organization:
The Curry Stone Design Collaborative (CSDC) is a design studio created to equip underserved and marginalised communities with methods to design, develop and improve their built environments.
Working in India since 2016, CDSC operates as a true collective of social design practices, architects, civic planners working collaboratively with communities in need. It unites design practitioners and communities in a common cause: addressing inequalities using design and technical tools.
At CSDC’s core is a community driven design process. It starts by spending significant time with residents to gain a thorough understanding of the complexities of their living conditions. It is only after the community is comfortable and familiar with the CSDC team that the work of collaborating on the design of life-improving solutions begins. The ultimate goal is for the community to be full participants in the initial process, and to be empowered to continue the work on their own for years to come.
Based in Mumbai, the Design lead will report to the Managing Director. Depending on the level of experience, the primary responsibility will be to lead and support the design and development of various initiatives within CSDC.
- 7-10 years of international experience in a design and construction (architecture/landscape) practice
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited school of architecture, Master’s Degree a plus
- Experienced in all phases of project design and construction
- Enjoy working in a very collaborative manner with end-user communities and our partners and researchers;
- Excellent communication skills are a must to maintain community relationships, and liaise with consultants and project collaborators
- Build good relationships at all levels: internally and externally
- Good presentation, writing, and public speaking skills are a must
- Be willing to travel on a regular basis for site visits and nurturing community and partner relationships
- Ability to converse fluently and read in English is a must, proficiency in a second language (French/ Spanish) is a plus
- Passionate about sustainability and environmentally responsible design
- Ability to use some of the following: AutoCAD, Revit, Rhino, Adobe CS (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), Microsoft Office
- Independence in thought and action, and a willingness to stand up for their beliefs
- Respectful, understanding of local value systems, and able to work with people at all levels in the communities that we go into
- Must have a great sense of humour, patience, reliability and integrity
- Lots of common sense and a deep desire to learn and grow
- Experience working in Africa, South and/ or South East Asia
- Lived in more than one country and have an understanding of culture(s) other than their own
- Prior work / volunteer experience in non-profits or socially driven agencies
- Demonstrate the ability to manage multiple projects, including schedules and budgets
- Good understanding of project management processes
- Previous teaching experience, and publications are a plus
- LEED or similar accreditations preferred
This description reflects the core activities of the role but is not intended to be all-inclusive. Other duties within the studio may be required in addition to changes in the emphasis of duties as required from time to time.
For immediate consideration, candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject title “ATTN: DESIGN LEAD”.
Length of Employment: Fulltime two (2) year contract, with the option to renew beyond.
Curry Stone Design Collaborative is an equal opportunities employer.
We offer competitive salaries. The successful applicant will be asked to relocate to Mumbai, if he/she does not already live here.