Shelter Team Leader - Engineering - Za'atari "Nationals Only" - Jordan
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
Established in 2012 NRC Jordan’s long-term outlook addresses the problems affecting life as a refugee. We work to build the resilience of Syrians, and to relieve the impact on the Jordanian communities that host them.Syrian refugees in Jordan are struggling. As they contend with difficult living conditions across the country, the obstacles are complex. They struggle to remain registered as refugees, to provide for their families, and to access essential services – including education for their children. The Jordanian communities that host them, meanwhile, feel the impact of hosting high numbers of refugees – with each year that passes, local infrastructure becomes more strained.
Role Specific Information
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
NRC is implementing a Shelter Programme in the Zaatari/Azraq refugee Camps in Jordan, the project aim to support refugees in the camps to have improved coping strategies through the provision of adequate housing and support to their ability to meet their basic needs. The Shelter Team Leader/ Engineering Team Leader will be responsible to plan and manage several shelter technical construction units, ensure workflow is adequate, meeting deadlines and targets and develop with the team proper planning of activities for her/his teams. In addition, the Team Leader should support and backstop any delay and provide direct support to the team in any of the assigned tasks.
- Management of project staff.
- Implement plan of action for delegated portfolio of Core Competency projects (activities, budget and project documentation).
- Day to day follow of progress in project implementation.
- Ensure compliance with NRC policies, Core Competency tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist.
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement.
- Prepare periodic progress reports and other documents.
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer of key skills.
- Liaison and collaborate with relevant local authorities and stakeholders.
- Promote the rights of internally displaced/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards & principles within NRC and amongst beneficiaries served by NRC.
- Oversee the rollout and/or implementation of maintenance activities in the camp, including but not limited to; regular maintenance requests at camp level, caravan repairs, quickfix, retrievals, strong coordination with UNHCR technical and filed units, and other shelter actors in the camp.
- Supervise the shelter officers by supporting their professional development, enhance their skills, coaching, and ensure teams operate timely and based on NRC regulations, prepare weekly/monthly plans and follow up as required with the team.
- Manage the shelter construction team by allocate and supervise workload for the shelter technical construction units, ensure quality of works, provide feedback and reports on performance, contribute to increase performance of the team, solve the problem related to target achievement and performance, including planning and justifying need of extra resources.
- Monitor quality of works, by executing spot checks visits for the assigned activities and generating quality check reports. · Track Budget and follow up with procurement, on monthly basis to check and track expenditure and actively solve pending issues.
- Contractors management, by following up on the contractors execution plans and progress, highlight any potential risks related to the works execution or the quality of works, and issue works acceptance certificate for completed tasks.
- Solve filed conflicts, by proposing solutions and alternatives for any filed conflict identified by the filed units, and actively foresee potential blockages and propose solutions.
- Prepare reports and follow up with teams, by generating monthly/periodic progress reports to the project manager, coordinate with the reporting officer to ensure information is adequate and well organized.
- Stock management, by maintaining updated stock reports, and following NRC logistic handbook as the tools for the stock management.
- Other functions that might be assigned by the supervisor.
Our Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for a university graduate in Engineering, with a minimum of three years previous experience in relevant field. Experience working in complex and volatile contexts. three years of working in construction sites/projects. Professional experience in engineering and construction site supervision and management. Relevant work experience in a dynamic and results focused organizations. Experience managing and coordinating teams and Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels.
In this position you will join highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people in the world's biggest displacement crisis.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline
Contract period: till 31st of December 2019
Salary/benefits: 1347 JOD "subject to social security and Income Tax"
Duty station: Za'atari Camp
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities.
NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
B: Please enter your specific city of residency in Jordan in your application.
For more jobs follow us on Twitter @nrc_jobs