EUROPEAN SPACE AGENCY
Vacancy in the Directorate of Internal Services.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. Applications from women are encouraged.
This post is classified A2-A4 on the Coordinated Organisations’ salary scale.
ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands
Reporting to the Head of the Cost Accounting Section, Accounting Division, Finance, Planning & Controlling Department, Directorate of Internal Services, the postholder is responsible for cost analysis and implementation of the Agency’s cost management processes.
Specifically, these include:
- defining, designing and monitoring implementation of integrated cost management processes and the associated reporting functionalities;
- being responsible for integrating the cost accounting system with other ESA financial systems and tools;
- contributing to simplification and automation of cost accounting processes in SAP;
- guaranteeing consistency of cost accounting data with financial accounting data, particularly regarding financial/cost statements;
- ensuring completeness and accuracy of direct/indirect cost allocation in the context of monthly/yearly accounting closure, including cost variance analysis and agreed corresponding treatment;
- ensuring complete, accurate and timely cost accounting reports including variance analysis;
- ensuring implementation of reorganisation processes in the financial system in liaison with the HR Department, Workforce Management Office, IT Department and corporate Planning & Controlling Division;
- supporting technical monitoring and acceptance of implementation of the cost management system;
- being responsible vis-à-vis end-users for corrective and progressive maintenance of the cost management system;
- processing cost accounting transactions, updating and maintaining the Agency’s cost management data;
- supporting cost centre managers in all aspects of planning and processing secondary costs in line with the Agency cost model, providing support to programmes/projects/activities in preparing specific cost reports;
- being responsible for training and supporting end-users regarding the cost management processes and system;
- contributing to analysis of future evolution of the cost accounting system based on appropriate simulations and best-practice knowledge of the public-sector environment;
- contributing and supporting internal/external audit assignments on the Agency’s cost model and cost processes.
SAP knowledge, mainly FI-AA module
Strong analytical and reporting skills
Cost and financial/management accounting
Knowledge of accounting standards IPSAS and/or IFRS
In-depth knowledge of Microsoft office, particularly Excel
Planning & Organisation
Applicants should have a Master's degree or equivalent qualification in accounting, economics or a financial discipline. An accounting qualification such as Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant (CA) or Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) is desirable.
Applicants shall have a thorough knowledge of cost management and the SAP environment (Modules certification, e.g. CO, FI, experience of queries/reporting tools). An aptitude for effective communication and collaboration in an international environment is essential.
Written and oral communication, interpersonal and problem-solving skills are essential, as are a willingness to take on demanding tasks in an environment undergoing rapid evolution and change.
Applicants must also have excellent planning and relationship-management skills.
For behavioural competencies expected from ESA staff in general, please refer to the ESA Competency Framework.
The working languages of the Agency are English and French. A good knowledge of one of these is required. Knowledge of another Member State language would be an asset.
The Agency may require applicants to undergo selection tests.
The closing date for applications is 11 July 2019.
If you require support with your application due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Canada and Slovenia.
According to the ESA Convention the recruitment of staff must take into account an adequate distribution of posts among nationals of the ESA Member States. When short-listing for an interview, priority will first be given to internal candidates and secondly to external candidates from under-represented Member States. (http://esamultimedia.esa.int/docs/careers/NationalityTargets.pdf)
In accordance with the European Space Agency’s security procedures and as part of the selection process, successful candidates will be required to undergo basic screening before appointment.
Recruitment will normally be at the first grade in the band (A2); however, if the candidate selected has little or no experience, the position may be filled at A1 level.