International Consultant for developing inspection and monitoring manual for public infrastructures
The project aims to strengthen anti-corruption, transparency, and accountability at the national and municipal levels and raise awareness among citizens in Timor-Leste. First, the project focuses on finalizing the development of overarching policy guidelines on anti-corruption, accompanied with capacity development initiatives for civil servants of the national and municipal administrative offices. Second, soft mechanisms for enhancing public sector integrity will be developed and distributed to the public and private sector stakeholders. Third, greater civic engagement will be facilitated through increased access to information and youth training initiative. With this comprehensive and multi-stakeholder approach to address corruption, the project envisions, in the longer-term, robust, transparent, and accountable government institutions and empowered citizens who can hold them accountable. These goal and objective are in line with the Timor-Leste Strategic Development Plan (2011-2030) as well as the ‘United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) for the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste 2015-2019: Supporting Equitable and Sustainable Development in a Rising Young Nation’. The Timor-Leste Strategic Development Plan for Public Sector Management and Good Governance emphasizes building trust in government through delivering quality public service and promoting civil service values. The Governance Sector plan of the UNDAF is centred on the institutional strengthening in the areas of justice, security, oversight mechanism, and decentralization.
2) OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT AND SCOPE OF WORK
The International Consultant for developing manual of inspection and monitoring of public infrastructure will work under the supervision of Director of Prevention at Anti-Corruption Commission Office and will focus the following areas:
I. Technical and coordinative support for developing inspection and monitoring manual for public infrastructures for the Prevention Directorate, Anti-Corruption Commission Timor-Leste.
II. Capacity Building and Support of the Prevention Directorate staffs and other key managers in the area of prevention Anti-Corruption Commission Timor-Leste.
The overall objective of the assignment of the International Consultant is to supervise developing inspection and monitoring manual for public infrastructures as well as to provide coordinative support to enable the Prevention Directorate Anti-Corruption Commission Timor-Leste to deliver quality outputs, as describe in the PRODOC in the following areas of a culture of transparency and rejection to corruption embedded in state institutions and citizen trough capacity of oversight institutions increased to promote corruption prevention and public sector integrity.
Duties and Responsibilities
The main responsibilities of the International Consultant are as follows:
1. Facilitates/form formal and non-formal mechanism for public discussion on inspection and monitoring manual for public infrastructures.
2. Supports Prevention Directorate Trough Unit of Promoting Value and Integrity to comprehend methods for developing manual or guideline for inspection and monitoring for public infrastructures
3. Produces a high quality of manual of inspection and monitoring for public infrastructure as required by Prevention Directorate, Anti-Corruption Commission Timor-Leste.
4. Provides capacity building and supports to the local technical specialist at Unit of Promoting Value and Integrity in writing manual or guideline for inspection and monitoring.
5. Coordinate and prepare a pilot program for launching the inspection and monitoring manual when the finalized.
6. Prepare and deliver several meetings with all the stakeholders involved in the Anti-Corruption Consultative Council for the corruption prevention activities in Timor-Leste.
7. Develop and implement tools, templates and training materials in support of manual of inspection and monitoring for public infrastructures
8. Assist in the preparation of the quarterly and annual monitoring reports.
9. Write newsletters for UNDP to update all the partners about the steps towards the implementation.
3) EXPECTED OUTPUTS AND DELIVERABLES
Because of personal achievement, the International Consultant should present the individual outputs or group result and be ready to organize team-work and involve key local specialist staff in preparation process. The expected outputs and deliverables of the International Consultant are linked to the project work plan of the Anti-Corruption Project as per defined in the project document (ProDoc):
I. Drafting and Promotion of Inspection and Monitoring Manual:
Output 1. One progress report of the following products (31 July 2019):
1. Development of a formal and non-formal consultation or discussion on inspection and monitoring manual for public infrastructure with Anti-Corruption Commission and its Stakeholders.
2. Development of the workplan, tools and methodologies for developing the inspection and monitoring manual for public infrastructures
3. Progress report on the capacity development support to the local specialist within the Prevention Directorate, Anti-Corruption Commission Timor-Leste
4. Progress report on technical assistance and coordination actions offered to the Prevention Directorate and/or Anti-Corruption Consultative Council.
Output 2. One progress report of the following products (28 August 2019):
1. Development of the inspection and monitoring manual for public infrastructures
2. Documentation of the results and outcomes as discussed during the formal and non-formal consultative meetings
3. Progress report on the technical assistance and coordination actions offered to the Prevention Directorate and/or Anti-Corruption Consultative Council.
Output 3. Final report of the following products (27 September 2019):
1. Report on the Finalization of the inspection and monitoring manual for public infrastructures
2. Report on the methodologies and tools used for the design of the training manual of integrity for public and educational sectors.
3. Press releases, newsletter and/or articles on the training manual published in CAC website and/or anti-corruption links.
§ Ability to work effectively with MS Office and internet
§ Previous working experience in any UN agencies is an advantage;
§ One previous working experience in Timor-Leste is an advantage;
§ Training in Capacity Development is an advantage;
§ Working knowledge of Portuguese or Bahasa Indonesia or Tetum is an advantage.
The International Consultant will be based at the Prevention Directorate Office, Anti-Corruption Commission Dili, Timor-Leste
The Consultant will report directly to the Commissioner of Anti-Corruption, Director of Prevention and Project Manager of the Anti-Corruption Project.
The Consultant will submit a progress report as per defined in this ToR. The progress report should include achieved results by the end of each month up to the end of the Contract. Two weeks before the end of the Contract the Consultant will present a final report with main results during the assignment.
Required Skills and Experience
§ Master’s degree in civil engineering, infrastructure development or related areas (compulsory);
§ Education and/or complementary trainings in corruption prevention for public infrastrutura, International Cooperation, or related areas;
§ A minimum of 5 years of working experience in anti-corruption sector particularly in prevention area focuses on public infrastructures or other related areas;
§ At least 2 year of working experiences in development of manual in anti-corruption sectors.
§ At least one previous experience in coordination and capacity development;
§ At least one previous experience in building and strengthening partnerships with key stakeholders in anti-corruption sectors;
§ Substantive working experience in developing countries;
§ Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills in English