Join the Corps!
Do you believe that when a child learns to read, they are empowered to transform their future?
Super Stars Literacy's mission is to empower students from under-resourced communities to transform their futures by helping them develop the reading and social/emotional skills that are the foundation for future learning. SSL provides both in-school and after-school programming for K-2nd grade students needing additional support in literacy and/or social/emotional skill development. We work to help students be grade level proficient by 3rd grade in literacy to ensure students make the transition from learning to read to reading to learn.
We empower students from under-resourced communities to transform their futures by helping them develop the reading and social/emotional skills that are the foundation for future learning.
Development and Communications Associate VISTA Position Description
The Development and Communications Associate VISTA will create a sustainable committee structure and fundraising plan for SSL’s YPAN (Young Professionals and Alumni Network) by :
 developing effective messaging and PR strategies to publicize SSL’s fundraising events
 collaborating with the SSL Development staff to develop and execute an annual fundraising goal including identifying new fundraising prospects and drafting proposals
 Creating a YPAN committee manual
 Developing SSL’s social media content. The VISTA will join a team of highly skilled development professionals and will be supervised and supported by the SSL Development Manager.
- Interest in working with children (experience in literacy tutoring desirable but not required)
- A positive and resilient attitude
- Communication skills necessary to work with children, school staff, and volunteers
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage a full workload
- Flexibility and poise when dealing with stressful situations
- Experience working with diverse communities
- Demonstrated commitment to community service
- Bilingual desirable but not required
- Commitment to the full term of service
- All members must pass criminal history check, including FBI, DOJ, and NSOPW searches
- Proof of tuberculosis clearance
- High school diploma or equivalent; Bachelors Degree preferred
- Proof of citizenship or legal permanent resident status.
August 2019-August 2020. Members must serve for a full term of service, on average 40 hours per week.
All members receive a monthly living allowance of approximately $1900 before taxes and deductions. In addition, members may be eligible for health coverage and loan forbearance while in service. Members who complete a full term of service will receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award for approximately $6,000, which can be used to pay back loans or for future educational expenses.
AmeriCorps VISTA members are also offered childcare assistance and a relocation allowance if eligible.
AmeriCorps is a national service commitment that meets a community’s critical needs in education, safety, health, and the environment. Super Stars Literacy partners with AmeriCorps to provide full-time service opportunities in title 1 schools in Oakland. Super Stars Literacy AmeriCorps members dedicate 1200 hours of service per term in exchange for leadership and career development, and a living allowance supported by our AmeriCorps grant. AmeriCorps is an exciting opportunity for service-minded individuals who are passionate about education and the nonprofit sector. For more information, please visit www.americorps.gov.