Senior Associate Manager, Foundations - Business Development
Washington (United States of America)
Job title: Senior Associate Manager - Foundations, Business Development
Department: Corporate Partnerships & Philanthropy
Based in Washington, DC
Up to 20**%** international & domestic travel
Reports to the Senior Manager, CPP
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds - from the medical industry to the music business - all with unique skills we bring to the job.
The Corporate Partnerships and Philanthropy team sparks innovation within PSI by matching risk-tolerant donors to high-impact projects and systems across the firm. In collaboration with colleagues across the globe, we identify and find funding for transformational projects and investments in global public health. These investments are ones that our traditional institutional donors are unlikely to fund. We collaborate closely with corporations, private philanthropists, and foundations to conceptualize the future of global health and translate those visions into reality.
PSI is looking for an accomplished individual for the role of Business Development, Foundations, Senior Associate Manager to increase support from US-based foundations.
This role works to build a portfolio of vetted small to medium sized foundation prospects aligned with PSI’s programs interests. To that end, a solid understanding of the foundations market is key. We need a go-getter who can clearly understand what problem PSI is trying to solve and can identify and match foundation opportunities based on that need. This person must be able to develop a robust pipeline of prospects, conduct due diligences, devise a prospect strategy and craft strong proposals.
You must have excellent interpersonal skills and a knack for motivating colleagues who do not report to you – creating and navigating strong professional relationships and informal networks. We are also looking for someone who has excellent research and writing skills and has the agility to zoom from the forest to the trees, and to dive into and manage the day-to-day details.
Sound like you? Read on.
You will be the lead for building a portfolio of foundation donors, work with appropriate colleagues across the organization to match opportunities and steward the relevant foundation’s grant application process.
- Conduct detailed research into foundation grant funding opportunities and create a priority prospective list of foundation donors.
- Open new relationships with foundation donors to understand their programmatic focus, strategic goals and grant application processes.
- Work with colleagues across the organization to identify matching opportunities for foundation funding.
- Lead on writing and completing high-quality grant applications with colleagues, coordinating the application process, ensuring content is supplied in a timely manner, and writing up proposals that are in adherence to the relevant foundation’s application criteria.
- Ensure all grant reporting requirements are met for successful funding applications by working with the implementation teams, finance, cost and pricing and legal colleagues.
- Maintain and develop the foundations element of Salesforce.
- Provide assistance as needed to fundraising colleagues and perform other duties as necessary.**Qualifications**
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
- You have a bachelor’s degree in a related field of study, such as communications, business administration, public policy or political science.
- You have worked in the international development or nonprofit sector in a similar role.
- You have at least five years of relevant work experience.
- Proven track record of raising funds from foundations.
- Experience working with fundraising databases and client relationship management systems (preferably Salesforce), both for research and for information management.
- Detailed and practical understanding of foundation fundraising is desirable.
- Excellent writing and editing skills and a portfolio of quality written products for a variety of formats (e.g., project talking points, concept presentations, etc.)
- Experience in confidently representing organizations to potential donors.
- You love people and love to connect with them. You are able to interact with diverse personalities, handle hard conversations, and conduct yourself with utmost transparency and integrity in your partnerships.
- You are passionate about PSI’s mission and vision.
- You have a passion in philanthropy and corporate social responsibility.
- You are a strategic thinker and foster good relationships.
- You are detail oriented and enjoy shifting from big picture strategy to the details of project spreadsheets and timelines.
- You take initiative and are excellent at managing multiple workstreams. You are not afraid to jump in from the start and get your hands dirty with minimal direction.
- You have demonstrated a strong leadership capacity and ability to work well with a team. Informal influence and the ability to build consensus is critical.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
- References will be required.
What would get us excited?
Expert researcher and grant writer. You are an agile and expert researcher and have the ability to clearly communicate a foundations interests and grant application requirements. You also have the ability to synthesize information from across multiple teams to communicate complicated programs that speak to a particular foundations interests.
Team Player: You like to work closely with a team and across teams and can navigate a matrix of reporting lines and responsibilities to achieve common objectives; you foster collaboration and support your colleagues. You can handle competing priorities with tact and diplomacy.
- Exempt; two-year contract.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.