Gender & Safeguards Consultant - GCF Readiness preparatory support program
Gender & Safeguards Consultant - GCF Readiness preparatory support program
GGGI is seeking out a Gender and Safeguards Consultant to work on a full-time basis based in the CRGE Facility to support the DAE in implementing the Readiness and Preparatory support Project. The Consultant will serve as the focal point for Gender, safeguards and inclusivity subjects for the project and lead overall gender and safeguards consideration aspects of readiness project activities and its implementation, as delivered by a team of experts. The Consultant will report to the Project Manager & Monitoring specialist and the Project Lead for detailed project activities and on a high level the expert will also report to the GGGI Country representative and work closely with the additional experts, DAE, NDA and GGGI counterparts to implement the activities of the readiness project.
This position is responsible for the integration of environmental and social safeguards (ESS/Safeguards), poverty reduction, and social inclusion (including gender equality) considerations into the GCF Readiness and Preparatory Support Project where GGGI is the delivery partner (DP). Special emphasis is given to possessing substantive knowledge and experience in social development and gender issues.
Scope of Work
- Analyze and adapt knowledge products for integrating Gender and social inclusion/development objectives into the GCF Readiness and Preparatory support project;
- Ensure mainstreaming of gender, poverty reduction and social inclusion in the GCF Readiness and Preparatory support project sectors and thematic policies, strategies, guidelines and operational plans;
- Lead the preparation of selective country gender and social development analysis and assessments;
- Incorporate Gender and social development considerations into the project cycle management and in the design and monitoring of project results in alignment with the country development plan working closely with the project manager and monitoring specialist;
- Ensure gender issues are considered in climate finance programming, review Environmental and Social Management (ESM) framework, conduct analysis and develop additional guidelines and gender action plans accordingly;
- Analyze and prepare knowledge products and services on social development and gender issues of importance, such as studies on current and emerging issues, operational tools (sector checklists and toolkits), and best practices;
- Design capacity development/training materials and programs for GCF Readiness and Preparatory support project stakeholders and government partners;
- Identify and build institutional partnerships and champions in government, the private sector and civil society to strengthen the projects delivery and advance the social dimensions of green growth;
- Support NDA resource mobilization in project concept note development and proposal development by reviewing and preparing Gender and inclusivity considerations;
- Support the development of strategies for mobilizing gender-responsive and inclusive, sustainable green finance across the GCF Readiness and Preparatory support project;
- Support additional capacity strengthening and GCF Readiness related activities as considered necessary by DAE, NDA and/or GGGI (DP) - not explicitly stated in this section;
- Provide technical support to MOF and private sector to build individual and organizational capacity in gender inclusive climate change and gender policy.
- Advise and support DAE and stakeholders partners to better integrate Gender and Safeguards, Poverty Reduction and Social Inclusion (SPRSI) in projects, thematic programs and national green growth plans;
- Collaborate with DAE, NDA and DP on identified joint activity opportunities to ensure integrated delivery of readiness activities, facilitation of effective communication and decision-making to align project outcomes with GCF expectation in the context of Gender and Inclusivity;
- Advise project experts (team) with evidence and data driven substantive inputs and analyses on Gender, Safeguards and SPRSI of country program development;
- Raise awareness for gender and social inclusion among all relevant stakeholders;
- Pursue opportunities to present lessons learned and demonstrate success stories from the programs in the portfolio with external partners and engage in policy dialogue of Gender and Safeguards considerations;
- Maintain close working relationships with counterparts from DAE and GGGI’s Ethiopia country office;
- Ensure participation of project affected people and communities, women and civil society in workshops and mechanism;
- Maintain active professional relations with partner governments and other key stakeholders to capture and integrate their changing green growth needs and manage expectations.
- Devise and formulate knowledge products, especially on social development and gender issues, and devise M&E and reporting mechanisms to support mainstreaming and delivery of positive gender and social development outcomes in the GCF Readiness and Preparatory support Project in Ethiopia;
- Deliver gender and social development trainings and capacity development programs to DAE staff and other partners:
- Build capacity of CRGE Facility and executing ministries with usage and application of the ESM framework
- Support DAE in the periodic participatory review and updating of the climate finance Country Program in project sub outcome 2.2, provide inputs where Gender and social development aspects are required working closely with the readiness project manager;
- Optimize communication materials that demonstrate stories of change from incorporating gender and social development objectives in green growth for government partners, donors and other key stakeholders:
- Finalize strategies and promotion materials on GCF Gender Policy and Action Plan and align with national requirements
- Ensure that knowledge exchange, capacity building and communication strategy are successfully implemented ensuring GGGI’s visibility both in Country as well as internationally. This includes integrating Gender and Safeguards consideration in multiple capacity building workshops, high-level multi-stakeholder dialogues, focus group discussions, an exchange visit and exposure (communication) for the DAE, NDA, as well as GGGI (DP):
- Deliver document and share climate-based awareness-building workshop outcomes
- Gender and social inclusion focused workshop outcomes documented and shared
- Gender considerations successfully mainstreamed in targeted channels
- Provide support for the development and revision of shortlisted Project Concept Notes (PCNs), per GCF requirements (including ESS and; gender considerations). Per project sub outcome 4.3, at least 3 PCN’s developed to a high-quality stage and made ready for submission, with Gender and social development considerations;
- Deliver outputs of project sub-outcome 2.4 - Ensure adoption of gender aspects throughout NDA policies and activities and the readiness activities (incl. No Objection Letter (NOL) selection criteria):
- Conduct ESS/Safeguards assessment including gender analysis;
- Strengthen and familiarize existing ESM framework and prepare gender action plan;
- Conduct assessment of the NIE/DAE gender framework and develop additional guidelines and gender action plan.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Gender Studies, Sociology/Anthropology/Social Development, International Development/Affairs, Public Policy, Economics, Human Rights or other social science preferably involving gender studies. Undergraduate degree in these subjects combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree;
- At least 6 years of relevant experience in developing countries with good knowledge of one or more regions where GGGI is active at senior levels (e.g. leading projects). The application of gender and social development related to environmental or green growth issues will be considered particularly relevant;
- Experience working in the Gender and safeguards departments of multilateral or bilateral development institutions is desirable;
- International experience working in several countries, including countries where GGGI is present is a plus;
- Experience in one or more of the priority sectors of Ethiopia (water, energy, Agriculture and Industry) and/or inclusive finance/inclusive business models will be considered an advantage;
- Experience with environmental and social safeguards is an advantage;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Amharic language are a must;
- Excellent ability to initiate collaboration across divisions and work effectively and constructively with people from diverse cultural and professional backgrounds.
Child protection – GGGI is committed to child protection, irrespective of whether any specific area of work involves direct contact with children. GGGI’s Child Protection Policy is written in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
NOTE: The consultancy position start date will be dependent on disbursement of funds.