AmeriCorps Early Literacy Tutor
Austin (United States of America)
Literacy First is an AmeriCorps tutoring program that focuses on early literacy. Literacy First tutors provide one-to-one tutoring to struggling readers in Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade. We use explicit, research-based curriculum to address critical reading skills. All training and mentorship is provided by our supervisors and staff, who are literacy experts. Details below are for our full-time position. To see all positions available visit: http://www.literacyfirst.org/employment/
This is a great opportunity to:
- Be a part of a national movement toward social justice
- Gain professional development and leadership skills that are applicable to any career
- Pursue an alternative teaching certification through Region 13 during your second year of service (optional)
- Tutor in Spanish and advance your language skills (optional)
- Network with other non-profit organizations in Austin, TX
- Serve 1700 hours during 10 months from Sept 1st, 2020, through June 25, 2021
- Provide daily 1-on-1 tutoring to 10 K-2nd grade students
- Teach using a research-based curriculum
- Participate in community service projects with local non-profits
- Interest in literacy, education, community service, social justice, or non-profits
- Desire to work with young children ages 5-8
- Ability to work cohesively on a team
- Proficient computer skills, including data entry and email correspondence
- Bilingual applicants must be proficient in speaking Spanish.
- U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident alien
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Pass a criminal background check
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Full-time members earn a Segal Education Award of $6,095 to pay back student loans or pay for future tuition
- Federal loan forbearance*
- The National Service Trust can pay back interest accrued during the service term*
- Health Insurance (Literacy First pays the monthly premium)
- Join the national AmeriCorps service community and transform lives, including your own!
Want to learn more? Interested in our other positions? Visit our website at literacyfirst.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Ready to apply? Go here: https://tinyurl.com/LiteracyFirstApplication
*Literacy First is not responsible for the approval of loan forbearance or interest payment. Members must contact their loan provider to see if they qualify for these benefits.