AmeriCorps Early Literacy Tutor
Austin (United States of America)
Literacy First is a tutoring program that focuses on early literacy. Literacy First tutors provide one-to-one tutoring to struggling readers in Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade. We use explicit, research-based curriculum to address critical reading skills. All training and mentorship is provided by our supervisors and staff, who are literacy experts. Details below are for our full-time position. To see all positions available visit: http://www.literacyfirst.org/employment/
$1460 monthly plus an education award of $6,095
- Education award upon successful completion of service
- Health coverage
- Living allowance
- Student loan forbearance
- Childcare assistance if eligible
- Expert training in literacy intervention content and delivery (no experience necessary, all training provided! - One-on-one support from your supervisor weekly throughout the program.
- Optional professional development activities such as committee participation and community events.
- Networking with community partners and non-profits through regular volunteering opportunities.
- Professional development activities to prepare you for life after AmeriCorps.
- Opportunity to return to service for a second year as a Leader (mentor), and participate in our Leadership Academy (with pay increase!).
- Opportunity to return to service for a second year and participate in our alternative teacher certification partnership through Region 13. There are lots of incentives for Literacy First members, including 100% acceptance and job placement rates!
DESIRED CERTIFICATIONS OR QUALIFICATIONS
- Interest in literacy, education, community service, or non-profits
- Desire to work with young children ages 5-8
- Interest in social justice and providing educational equity
- Responsible, professional, motivated
- Ability to work cohesively on a team
- Proficient computer skills, including data entry and email correspondence
- Bilingual applicants must be proficient in conversational Spanish. Email us if you have questions about becoming a bilingual tutor!
- Car recommended
- Permits attendance at school during off hours
- Permits working at another job during off hours
- Subject to criminal background check