GBV Programme Coordinator, Kathmandu, Nepal Country Office, P-4
UNFPA is a leading player in the area of Gender-based Violence prevention and response in Nepal. The country office manages a portfolio of Gender-Based Violence programmes, focused both on multisectoral essential services, and on prevention. This includes two key projects, funded by Norway and Switzerland respectively. Evaluations and reviews have shown positive results of the programmes, and there is scope to consolidate and further expand the GBV portfolio. There are strong indications from donors that there will be continued support for consolidation and expansion of the portfolio. This position is intended to assist the country office in managing the existing projects as well as to further enhance and grow UNFPA Nepal’s programmatic and though leadership in this area.
The incumbent will work under the overall leadership of the Country Office Representative, and will report directly to the Deputy Representative.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The GBV Programme Coordinator oversees the strategic and technical elements of GBV Prevention and Response in Nepal. This includes overall strategic portfolio oversight, representation of UNFPA and coordination with external partners, as well as, management of a team of technical personnel to deliver high-quality, timely and integrated technical and programme support on GBV. She/he is charged with ensuring that UNFPA Nepal’s GBV portfolio is technically sound and in line with the ICPD programme of Action, UNFPA’s Strategic plans, and the development frameworks of the Government of Nepal. It is further expected that the GBV Programme Coordinator will analyse the external environment in Nepal, identify opportunities for UNFPA in the area of GBV, and explore opportunities for collaboration and partnerships in terms of programmes and funding, advocacy and research/learning.
Qualifications and Experience
Education and Experience:
• Advanced university Degree in Public Health, Medicine, Sociology, Demography, Gender, Economics, International Relations, International Development, Public Administration, Management or other related fields.
Knowledge and Skills:
• At least a Master’s degree in gender and development, public health, development studies, human rights, or a related field.
• 7 years of increasing responsibility and professional experience in management and development relevant to gender-based violence, gender equality, reproductive rights, public health, or similar, including at least three at the international level;
• Substantive knowledge and practical experience in the area of gender-based violence, including strategic planning, programme implementation, and monitoring and evaluation.
• Experience working with the UN System and with donors
• Excellent communications and writing skills in English
• Field experience is required; experience from the (South) Asian context is an asset.
Fluency in English. Knowledge of Nepali would be an asset.