Senior Rural Finance Officer
IMPORTANT NOTICE\: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments.
• People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Investment Centre Division (DPI) promotes investment in food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing in developing countries and countries in transition, assisting governments and country stakeholders, main development partners, in particular international financing institutions with the strategic planning and implementation of their investments to achieve food security and nutrition, make agriculture, forestry and fisheries more sustainable and productive, reduce rural poverty, make food value chains more efficient and inclusive and promote climate change adaptation and/or mitigation.
The Senior Rural Finance Officer reports to the Chief, Africa Service.
Formulation, implementation support and evaluation of investment operations (projects and programmes) in rural and agricultural finance in the context of food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing, as well as strategic and policy work, with a focus on agricultural services, rural institutions, resilience and risk management, access to markets, and private sector development.
Provision of technical advice and capacity development for (i) the design of investment operations , in collaboration with country stakeholders and cooperating partners, to mobilize resources for food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing; and (ii) implementation support and evaluation of investment operations, in accordance with the FAO Strategic Framework.
• Leads, or participates in, multidisciplinary teams to assist governments in the identification and preparation of investment operations in the fields of rural and agricultural finance in the context of food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing, and participate in pre-appraisal and appraisal missions.
• Leads, or participates in, multidisciplinary teams for the implementation support and the preparation of final evaluation of investment operations.
• Advises governments in the areas of rural and agricultural finance in the context of food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing studies and strategies, and in the formulation of national sector and/or sub-sector investment plans and programmes.
• Advises on developing inclusive and sustainable food systems, involving producers, their organizations, other private sector actors, civil society organizations and government.
• Leads the formulation and delivery of capacity development strategies and activities in the areas of rural and agricultural finance in the context of food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing investment support to government staff, and non-state actors and private sector organizations.
• Prepares reports in accordance with government and financing partners’ requirements.
• Advises on task organization, selection of consultants, and preparation of terms of reference and in ensuring the quality of outputs.
• Represents the Organization at international and inter-governmental meetings and conferences, advocates for strategic partnerships, best practices and effective policy dialogue; develops and negotiates effective working relationships and agreements with international and national partners.
• Establishes, promotes and maintains relationships with relevant Strategic Programmes, FAO Technical Units and Decentralised Offices in order to ensure best synergies between investment, policy and innovation work in support to member countries.
• Leads or participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
• Provides guidance, mentoring and advice to junior staff.
• Leads the analysis of rural financial markets from the supply and demand angle and identifies opportunities for expanding rural financial services to farmers and other actors in the agrifood systems.
• Advises on policy, legal and institutional reforms to support the development of rural finance systems and private investment in agriculture and rural development.
• Advises on strategic management related to public and private rural financial services and banking systems with regard to public policy, regulatory and/or legislative issues.
• Assesses the performance of formal and informal institutions (including development finance institutions) engaged in savings mobilization, lending activities and other financial services to rural clients and advises on possible improvements, including their products, services and instruments.
• Reviews government proposals for the development of rural and agricultural financial services and advises on their financial, economic and organizational soundness.
• Develops tailor-made solutions for financing agricultural value chains in specific country or regional contexts.
• Produces knowledge products including analytical work and practical tools related to rural and agricultural finance.•
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in economics, banking and finance, agribusiness management, agricultural economics, rural development or a closely related field
• Ten years of relevant experience in the design of rural and agricultural finance interventions and related analytical work, knowledge management and capacity development, including experience in leading the formulation and/or implementation of investment operations in developing countries and/or countries in transition
• Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese or Russian
• Results focus
• Leading, engaging and empowering
• Communication and advocacy
• Partnering and resource mobilisation
• Knowledge sharing and continuous Improvement
• Strategic thinking
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential
• Extent and relevance of experience in major technical fields related to rural and agricultural finance, including value chain finance and development, product design, guarantee schemes, refinance schemes, insurance, risk management, and management of rural finance institutions
• Extent and relevance of experience in leading and participating in multidisciplinary teams for the preparation of strategies and sector studies as well as formulation, implementation support or evaluation of investment operations
• Extent and relevance of experience in investment design, implementation support and evaluation procedures of FAO’s main development partners, in particular the World Bank, the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), the African Development Bank
• Extent of experience in capacity development for the design and implementation of investments
• Demonstrated experience in dealing with senior government officials, development partners and other country stakeholders
• Demonstrated capacity to write technical reports in English and French