Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) Specialist
World Learning is a leading international non-profit organization advancing education, systems strengthening, and inclusive development through programming around the world. We are seeking an experienced Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) Specialist for the anticipated USAID-funded funded Shobai Miley Pori “Everyone Reads Together” program in Bangladesh which will support the Government of Bangladesh to improve early grade reading outcomes in Bangla for children with disabilities in grades 1 and 2 in Government Primary Schools.
The MERL Specialist will be responsible for designing and overseeing the implementation of the project’s MERL system and Collaboration, Learning, and Adapting (CLA) processes in close coordination with technical and programmatic staff. As part of the program’s senior leadership team, the MERL Manager will lead the overall learning agenda of the program, working closely with partners and other internal and external stakeholders. S/he will oversee research to build the evidence base around disability-inclusive education.
Recruitment is contingent upon successful award of the project. If you are unable to access the position on our career’s page, you can submit your CV or resume/cover letter (in English) to: email@example.com. Please include the post title on the subject line as well as a note explaining your qualifications for the position in the email body. Only finalist candidates will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis and qualified candidates should apply as soon as possible.
· Lead the design and implementation of the program’s M&E framework and information systems to track delivery against program targets, outcomes, and impacts, including clearly defined objectives, indicators, learning mechanisms, and the implementation of appropriate M&E procedures;
· Prepare and ensure timely submission of project performance monitoring plans, including developing and defining program indicators and sources of data, and contribute to annual work plans, quarterly and annual reports, and other project documents;
· Lead the design and implementation of robust CLA approaches and processes; ensure use of existing evidence to promote improvements, collaboration, learning, and adaption, and identify solutions to promote data-based decision making;
· Develop a learning agenda and oversee research to better understand the contextual realities of education for children with disabilities, and to build the evidence base around disability-inclusive education;
· Other responsibilities as assigned.
· Master’s degree or higher in a relevant field;
· A minimum of 6 to 8 years of experience designing and implementing monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) systems for USAID-funded projects related to basic education, education achievement, instructional quality, and/or systems strengthening; experience managing MEL activities for projects of similar size and scope, preferably in Bangladesh or the region
· Knowledge and prior experience with standard educational measurement approaches, such as early grade reading assessment (EGRA), early grade mathematics assessment (EGMA), and other measurement approaches on literacy and numeracy, as well as measurement of teacher training and capacity building is highly desirable;
· A strong understanding of and/or prior experience working in programs with a focus on improving education systems is highly desirable;
· Demonstrated expertise and an in-depth understanding of qualitative and quantitative research design, as well as prior experience of analyzing qualitative and quantitative datasets; prior experience using SPSS, STATA, NVivo, Atlas.ti, or other equivalent packages;
· Prior experience leading, designing, managing, and/or commissioning performance and outcome evaluations and other types of research, preferably in the field of education;
· Experience leading MEL and CLA implementation for basic education, formal and informal educational, and/or systems strengthening programs highly desirable;
· Ability to work across various teams with excellent interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to build consensus and navigate complex operating environments;
· Professional level of verbal and written fluency in English as well as in Bengali; Bangladesh Nationals preferred;
· Commitment to the principles of inclusive approaches to programming that encourages full participation of individuals regardless of gender, disability status, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or other marginalized status.
World Learning is an Opens a New Window. equal employment opportunity/affirmative action/veterans/ADA employer, committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce.