Field Disease Control Officer
Field Disease Control Officer Level 09/LDC
Deadline for Applications
24 July 2019
Grade or LDC Band
Fixed-Term Appointment for 3 years (applies to internal candidates on Fixed-Term contract only); including 1 year probation period, with the possibility of further extension, subject to the availability of funds, satisfactory performance and continuing need
Limited Duration Contract for 1 year (applies to external candidates and internal candidates on LDC); renewable; Appointment subject to funding confirmation.
Level 09 - Band G
Vacancy Announcement Number
Duty Station & Department
Lebanon Field Office – •Health Programme
UNRWA encourages applications from qualified women and welcomes applications from qualified candidates with disabilities.
UNRWA, the largest United Nations operation in the Middle East with over 30,000 staff working across five areas of operation, is looking for professionals like you.
UNRWA's human development goals
UNRWA is funded almost entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states, regional bodies, business foundations and individual contributions. UNRWA has identified four human development goals as the focus of the Agency's operations in committing to fostering human development of Palestine refugees by helping them to: lead long and healthy lives, acquire knowledge and skills, achieve decent standards of living and enjoy human rights to the fullest possible extent.
How can you make a difference?
You will be joining a team of around 3000 staff in the Lebanon Field Office working to foster the human development of registered Palestine refugees.••
The main responsibilities include:
• Conducts regular supervisory visits to UNRWA's Health Centres to ensure that programmes are implemented according to approved policies, strategies and procedures and that they are in line with the family health team approach;
• Manages the implementation and evaluation of the Agency's disease control programme in the Field s/he is assigned to; ensures that the epidemiology and control of communicable• and non-communicable diseases and immunization programme are in line with the family health team approach;
• Ensures that reviews on the Agency's Disease Surveillance Systems are carried out periodically for the accurate assessment of the programmes' efficiency and effectiveness;
• Investigates health problems, promotes healthy behaviors and helps in fostering a safe and healthy environment;
• Coordinates with concerned public health departments in the host countries the disease surveillance and control measures;
• Guides and provides technical advice on disease prevention and control to the medical and nursing staff to enable them to keep abreast of the changes and most recent developments in the field;
• Manages the development of research on disease prevention and control to keep up to date with new developments, techniques, procedures and scientific breakthroughs;
• Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
Conditions of service•
Option One: Fixed Term Appointment, Level 09
Monthly basic salary L.L •3,453,430
Other benefits include monthly Provident Fund contribution (15% of basic salary paid by the Agency), compulsory medical insurance, 30 days of annual leave, and dependency allowance (if applicable).
Option Two: Limited Duration Contract (LDC- Band G)
Monthly basic salary L.L 3,153,170 – 6,130,790 depending on the professional knowledge and experience.
Other benefits include compulsory medical insurance, 30 days of annual leave pre-rated to the duration of the contract where less than one year, and family allowance (if applicable).
To qualify for this position, you will need:
A university degree in Medicine from a recognized university including an internship of at least twelve-month duration;
Advanced degree in Public Health;
A valid license to practice medicine in the country of duty station (where applicable).
At least seven years of professional experience.
Excellent command of written and spoken English and Arabic.
You will also need to demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others in team environment;
• Very good communication and negotiation skills, sound judgment and demonstrated problem-solving skills;
• Leadership and ability to organize and implement the health training programmes;
• Supervisory skills and ability to develop staff;
• Very good analytical and reporting skills;
• Computer skills; especially programmes used by UNRWA and health statistical applications;
• Ability to work under pressure and cope with a heavy workload.
A degree in Family Medicine Specialty.
Additional Information :
• The incumbent may be required to travel frequently in the Agency's area of operations;
• Possession of a valid driving license is required.
For guidance on how to prepare for competency-based interviews:
Recruitment in UNRWA Lebanon – How it works:
Who we are
For over 70 years, the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine (UNRWA) has been working on the ground in five fields of operations in Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, West Bank and the Gaza Strip providing direct assistance and protection for some 5 million Palestine refugees in the Middle East. UNRWA is mandated by the UN General Assembly to provide this assistance and its mission is to help Palestine refugees achieve their full potential in human development until there is a just and lasting solution for their plight. UNRWA restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who have been uprooted by conflict with services encompassing education, health care, relief and social services, camp infrastructure and improvement, microfinance and emergency assistance.
For more details on UNRWA, please visit: www.unrwa.org
How to apply
To start the application process, applicants are required to register at http://jobs.unrwa.org by creating a personal profile and completing UNRWA Personal History Form. Only applications received through http://jobs.unrwa.org will be considered. Due to the large number of applications received for UNRWA vacancies, only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted. Please ensure that the e-mail address that you will indicate in your Personal History Profile is accurate, candidates shortlisted for test or/and interview will only be contacted by e-mail. No follow up phone calls will be made.
The United Nations does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process. The United Nations does not concern itself with information related to bank accounts.
This vacancy notice is open to internal and external candidates. As an Area post, preference will be given to local candidates already based in the duty station of the post.
UNRWA is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for and commitment to human rights, diversity, and non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNRWA staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNRWA jobs. UNRWA is a non-smoking work environment.
The Agency reserves the right not to make an appointment, to make an appointment at a lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description
Date of issue: 25 June 2019