Senior Evaluation Consultant, LACRO, Panama (Req. 523470)
Panama City (Panama)
Under the guidance and supervision of the LACRO Regional Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist, the Senior Evaluation Consultant shall ensure quality evaluations in the region through: a) development of evaluation products; b) provide support to managing evaluation implementation in areas related to UNICEF LAC Regional priorities; c) Contribute to the preparation of the regional response to the new UNICEF Evaluation Policy launched in June 2018; and d) other evaluation additional needed to ensure that UNICEF LAC complies with the requirements of the Evaluation Policy.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a champion
UNICEF in the Latin America and the Caribbean is accountable for the accomplishment of the stated key end-results by providing professional expertise and assistance in strengthening the evaluation function in the twenty four country offices in the Latin America and the Caribbean Region through a) design, planning, implementation, and monitoring of the evaluation strategy of the LAC Region; b) contributes to the quality assurance system aimed at improving the quality of country office evaluations; c) provides technical support to COs in the area of evaluation including capacity development at various levels.
How can you make a difference?
- Prepare ToRs of Evaluation products, such as Evaluations, Evaluability Assessments, Synthesis evaluations, etc.
- Provide feedback to ToRs, Inception Reports, and Evaluation Reports for evaluations.
- Consult Country Office to contribute to set up the LAC Region Evaluation Strategy 2019-2021, including staff capacity assessment and human and financial resources gaps.
- Prepare, analyze evaluation related-products (reports, evaluability assessments, syntheses, etc.) to ensure use of evaluation findings, conclusions, lessons learned and recommendations.
- Provide technical guidance for Country Offices in the implementation of Evaluation norms and guidance;
- Contribute to capacity development of UNICEF CO Staff on evaluation, through virtual and on-site training, webinars and other capacity building related activities
- Contribute to the preparation of presentations, briefs, and other reports on evaluation in UNICEF LAC
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing on evaluation.
Consultant will be paid by deliverable and based on working days per task agreed with the Supervisor (Regional Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist). Deadline will be agreed with the supervisor for each deliverable.
Expected deliverables for this consultancy are:
- Terms of Reference of regional, multi-country or Country Office-led Evaluation related products: Evaluations, Evaluability Assessments, Synthesis evaluations, etc.
- Written feedback for ToRs, Inception Reports, and Evaluation Reports for multi-country evaluations or CO evaluations, as per quality standards of the UNICEF LAC Regional Office.
- Report of evaluation capacity mapping in UNICEF LAC, including human and financial resources gaps, for UNICEF
- Analytical report of national capacities on evaluation in Governments in the LAC Region
- Analytical report of evaluation related-products (reports, evaluability assessments, syntheses, etc.)
- Report of technical guidance for Country Offices in the implementation of Evaluation norms and guidance;
- Evaluation training materials for UNICEF CO Staff, through virtual and on-site training, webinars and other capacity building related activities
- Presentation (PPT), briefs, and other analytical reports on evaluation in UNICEF LAC
- Report of facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing on evaluation.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Advanced university degree in evaluation, social sciences or other related fields.
- At least eight years or more of relevant professional work experience in implementing and managing evaluations, preferably for the UN System
- Proven excellent knowledge of UNEG evaluation Norms and Standards
- Experience in Quality Assurance Systems for Evaluations is an asset
- Experience working in LAC Countries
- Experience in consultation processes
- Familiarity of Human rights and Gender approach to evaluations
- Familiarity with humanitarian evaluations, is an asset
- Highly qualified professional technical knowledge/expertise in evaluation, including data management and qualitative analytical information.
- Professional technical knowledge/expertise in methodology of Evaluation, including theories, standards and models, quantitative/qualitative/mixed methods, validity/reliability testing of data, data analysis and interpretation, etc.
- Emerging international good practice in evaluation.
- Flexibility and adaptability to shifting conditions and work demands.
- Capacity to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with RO and CO colleagues and external partners.
- High level of Integrity and commitment to UNICEF’s mission and professional values.
- Analytical and conceptual ability, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills.
It is expected that the duration of the consultancy will be up to 11.5 months.
Consultant's workplace and Travel:
How to Apply:
To apply, please send the following documents:
- Motivation letter
- Complete application form
- Financial proposal
- CV or P11
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
UNICEF reserves the right to make additional assessment of the pre-selected candidates, if needed
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.