Requisition ID: req5583
Job Title: Senior Monitoring & Evaluation Officer - Beirut
Sector: Child Protection
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
The Senior Child Protection Monitoring and Evaluation Officer is part of the CP team based in Beirut. The senior officer will be expected to travel to the field at least 30% of the time to build the capacity of child protection staff in using monitoring and evaluation tools. In addition the M & E officer will be responsible for conducting spot checks. S/he reports directly to the CP Coordinator and will support CP Managers and staff in Beirut, Bekaa, Tripoli+5 and Akkar. S/he is responsible for overseeing overall data collection, monitoring and evaluation of program activities and analysis of reported data to inform programming. The Senior CP M&E Officer is responsible for designing and implementing a comprehensive monitoring valuation (M&E) system across the CP program. The Senior M & E officer will ensure that monitoring and evaluation systems, procedures, performance monitoring and results reporting are in place and effectively implemented throughout the program. In addition, Senior CP M&E Officer will build internal and partner capacity (when necessary) to constantly improve systems and data quality.
- Adapt an M&E system when needed to more accurately collect, monitor and verify program activities based on lessons learned and best practices, and ensure they are aligned with the program indicators and the country strategic and annual plan;
- In consultation with the MEAL Advisor the CP Coordinator will develop M&E frameworks at the onset of new projects including M&E plans and Indicator Tracking Tables;
- Develop monitoring and evaluation tools, in coordination with the CP team, to ensure quality tracking of project outputs and outcomes, including tools to assess impact of activities and beneficiary satisfaction;
- Provide technical guidance and recommendations to CP staff on data collection, measurement and sampling methodologies to ensure quality data is collected and applied;
- Ensure that data collection tools and templates, including assessments, baselines, monitoring forms, and final evaluations are properly used in field according to high quality standards;
- Conduct regular field visits and spot checks to support and build the capacity of field teams in the use of M&E tools for monitoring, and produce narrative reports to the CP Coordinator, Senior CP Managers, and CP Deputy Managers for decision making purposes.
- Support in the analysis of quantitative and qualitative data that is being collected in the field through M&E tools such as pre-posttests, FGDs, satisfaction surveys, etc. Contribute with narrative analysis, trending, and interpretation of results in coordination with the CP project team.
- Support in the development of beneficiary tracking tools, according to disaggregation of data required by the region, Activity Info and donor agreements, in coordination with T4P staff and M&E Assistant.
- Evaluate the importance and relevance of tools used on a consistent basis in order to maximize program efficiency
- Conduct spot checks for both direct implementation and
I.Evaluation and Learning:
- Lead the development of monitoring and evaluation tools in close coordination with the CP Coordinator.
- Implement mid-term and/or final program evaluations and research studies in line with donor requirements, as well as best practices.
- Design and implement regular lessons learned workshops to be implemented with the field team for program learning and improvement.
- Conduct regular meetings with field staff whereby main M&E findings are discussed, analyzed and interpreted, and document learning emerged.
- Act as a focal point in the field for regular monitoring, evaluations, and learning exercises, and developing recommendations based on M&E findings to be integrated into the programmatic daily work.
- Provide regular updates and analysis of main M&E data and findings to CP Coordinator and Managers to assess progress and suggest adaptations of the program.
II.Accountability and Reporting:
- Support the CP team to design and implement a beneficiary feedback system to ensure IRC is accountable to the children it serves, in alignment with the regional FARM guidelines and IRC Lebanon FARM policy.
- Support the CP Coordinator and CP project staff in donor reporting through inputs on progress towards targets, ensuring accuracy of indicator figures, and drafting M&E sections of reports.
- In coordination with the M&E Assistant, consolidate beneficiary information on a monthly basis to be used by project staff for reporting and decision making purposes.
- Respond to queries by donors and partners on number of beneficiaries reached and other indicators, in coordination with the M&E Assistant.
- Support the M&E Assistant in acting as focal point for Activity Info and monthly beneficiary count reporting.
- Support in the Monitoring for Action (MfA) annual assessment for the CP program and implement the relevant tools and systems to meet the MfA standards.
III.Capacity Building and Mentoring:
- Ensure program staff and partner M&E capacity building strategy is implemented to promote a culture of learning through systematic analysis and reflection.
- Provide capacity building and support to field based staff on the proper use of project’s M&E plans and Indicator Tracking Tables.
- Provide training and mentoring in survey design, methodology, data collection and analysis and other skills as required for assessing the impact of programs, including ODK Collect and MS Office products.
- Provide capacity building and coaching to the M&E Assistant on developing ITTs, updating progress of targets from grants, and consolidating monthly reports from field staff for Activity Info reporting and monthly beneficiary count.
- Ensure all activities are child and gender sensitive and follow IRC Child Safeguarding Policy.
- Promote the use of FARM – client responsiveness and accountability mechanisms
- Apply Do No Harm standards to ensure activities do not have detrimental effects on vulnerable communities.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to reinforce the acceptance of IRC in the community.
- Participate in internal office coordination and planning meetings and workshops.
- Demonstrate commitment to integrity, accountability and detail
- Contribute to a positive team dynamic, and demonstrate skills in team work
- Flexibility on other duties as assigned for program or professional development.
- All IRC staff is required to adhere to THE IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: CP Coordinator with a technical reporting line to the MEAL Advisor
Position directly supervises: N/A potential to supervise an M&E Assistant
Position works with: Child Protection Deputy Managers, Managers, CP Coordinator, and MEAL Advisor, as well as field teams and IRC partners.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science in Social Science, Economics, Statistics, Computer Science, Public Health, International Relief and Development, or related field
- 3-4 years of experience developing and maintaining M&E systems and tools, preferably on child protection interventions.
- Demonstrated experience and capacity in conducting field-level data collection and demonstrated experience in data analysis
- Strong computer literacy, including proficiency in Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Access.
- Demonstrated experience working with ICT tools to collect and analyze data, such as ODK/Kobo Toolkit, RapidSMS, GIS, etc.
- Strong analytical and reporting skills
- Previous experience in mentoring and coaching team members
- Strong ability to work independently, organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility
- INGO experience preferred
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, a good attitude, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment.
- Fluency in English and Arabic required
Travel and other requirements: Staff will be based in Beirut, with 30% travel required between the CP program implementation sites. At times when additional site visits are required the Senior M & E Officer needs to be flexible.