Practitioner in gynecology and obstetrics for the consolidation of studies and medical care for women, mothers and children in Papua New Guinea
Madang (Papua New Guinea)
The mortality rates of mothers and children are alarmingly high in Papua New Guinea and the highest by Asian standards, according to the World Health Organization. Doctors see, on average, approximately 17,000 patients. At present, there are only two universities in Papua-New Guinea which offer medical studies program, in Port Moresby and Madang. There is a severe lack of medical practitioners and teachers.
For this reason Bread for the World is searching for medical practitioners with commitment and expertise, especially in the improvement of medical care for mothers and children as well as for the consolidation of study programs. The prospective employer, the Divine Word University (DWU), has been established in Papua New Guinea since 1980. The medical facilities are located in Madang, Alexishafen and Modilon.
Scope of duties
The primary responsibilities include supporting the pedagogic and scientific department of gynecology, maternity care, child health and obstetrics of the DWU and thus furthering its development. Furthermore, an ongoing task will be to facilitate relations between the medical institutions in Modilon and Alexishafen and to provide support to medical practicants.
Additional tasks may include:
- Instructing the 3rd and 4th year medical students
- Analyzing and contributing to the further development of tutorials
- Assisting and advising students, e. g. during research projects
- Supporting curriculum development
- Coaching and training of medical staff
- Overseeing the medical care of patients
- Providing medical care including surgery
- A qualification as a specialist in gynecology and obstetrics is required
- Extensive experience in gynecology and obstetrics
- A strong command of written and spoken English
- A high motivation to learn the local language Tok Pisin
The citizenship of a Member State of the European Union or Switzerland is required.
Benefits provided by Bread for the World and Dienste in Übersee
Bread for the World provides a framework in which the professionals of Dienste in Übersee share their knowledge and skills with people of another culture. Supportive cooperation, mutual learning and intercultural exchange are enabled by:
- Individual preparation
- Three-year contract with benefits in accordance with the German Development Aid Workers Act
Please send your application (in the Europass-CV)
by reference n°PNG1900289 until
05th August 2019 to Anne Ndiaye
Cell phone +49-(0)30-65211-1326
Dienste in Übersee gGmbH
Caroline-Michaelis-Str. 1, 10115 Berlin
Dienste in Übersee gGmbH is a 100% subsidiary of the
Protestant Agency for Diakonia and Development
with the brand Bread for the World