The EIB, the European Union's bank, is seeking for its Operations Directorate - Global Partners Department - Africa - Public Sector Division
at its headquarters in Luxembourg:
Duration: 5 months (fixed start date: 01st November 2019)
(With possible extension up to 6 months if required by University)
Please note that, as marked on our Webpage, only applications from nationals of the Member States of the European Union, as well as citizens from countries with which EU accession negotiations have started, can be considered (Turkey, Serbia and Montenegro).
Please note that you are requested to limit your applications to a maximum of three traineeship publications. We will only consider and retain the first three applications submitted.
Objective of the traineeship
The Africa-Public Sector team is responsible for investment projects in the public sector in sub-Saharan Africa. The work environment is dynamic and diverse in terms of activities, ongoing operations and the stakeholders involved (internal and external). The objective of the Traineeship is to provide support to the Regional Managers/ Loan Officers in the research for prospective projects, database updates, the execution of the contracts already signed and preparation of briefings, presentations as well as thematic events/ workshops with the regional focus. Depending on the skills and the motivation of the person, you could take up gradually more responsibilities and diversify your portfolio of tasks.
Ultimately, you will gain a good understanding of the Bank's role in the region, its modus operandi and the impact.
Under the supervision of the Head of Division and senior colleagues, you will participate actively in the Division’s core activities. Your main tasks will be:
- Carrying out research, update databases and contributing to drafting reports, country overviews and project documents;
- Preparing briefings, presentations and communication materials for different audiences, depending on the business needs to showcase the Bank's activities in the Region;
- Coordinating and following-up internally with the Bank's services and with clients on various operational, legal and technical matters, under the lead of the Loan Officer(s);
- Assisting in the disbursements, by ensuring that the conditions precedents of the Finance Contracts are followed-up and met on time;
- Helping out the operational staff in the preparation of thematic events and workshops.
Academic qualifications and professional skills
- Final year of studies or University degree in Economics, Law, International Co-operation or related studies
- A first experience in a national or international organisation will be considered as an advantage
- Knowledge and interest in the economic and political context of the Africa region
- Excellent knowledge of standard Microsoft Office tools (Windows, MS Office)
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and/or French. Any other language, in particular French or Portuguese, will be an asset
- Achievement Drive: continually keeps an eye on performance, focusing on improving it, showing drive and determination to meet short and long-term goals.
- Change Orientation: Adapts to differences and changes in the environment; takes a flexible approach to reach outcomes.
- Collaboration: Works cooperatively as part of a team; works collaboratively with peers across organisational boundaries based on a genuine interest in and an accurate understanding of others and their individual perspectives and concerns.
- Organisational Commitment: Is willing to commit to an organisation whose mission is to support Europe and is open to diversity, and to align her/his own behavior with the organisation’s needs and intrinsic values, acting with integrity in ways that promote the organisation’s mission, policies and rules.
Please note that deadline for application is on the 21st July 2019.
More information on our EIB Traineeship Programme and Provisions for In-service training can be consulted on our EIB website; https://www.eib.org/en/about/jobs/work-with-us/internships/index.htm