Director, Istanbul International Center for Private Sector in Development
- Policy Formulation and Development
- Policy Advice and Programme Support Delivery
- Overall Management and Resource Mobilization
- Partnerships, Representation and Advocacy
- Knowledge Management
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide guidance and support to UNDP senior staff and the IICPSD EC, as part of the Finance Sector Hub in its efforts to make the IICPSD a globally recognized partner of choice and thought leader for the private sector in development and inclusive business in order to influence both public policy and development thinking on the one hand, and business practices on the other;
- Develop high quality policy options, tools and guidelines to increase the private sector and impact in development, including in conflict and early recovery contexts;
- Contribute to the Finance Sector Hub with the aspects of private sector and private capital are essential areas for SDG Financing
- As an integral part of the Finance Sector Hub, build strategic service lines around training, research and capacity and develop flagship products for the Center and mobilize resources either through cost recovery/cost sharing or additional financial contribution to ensure financial sustainability of the Center;
- Leverage IICPSD value added with the private sector by exploring various innovative opportunities and platforms, drive investment and private sector activities that results in an increase in the role of companies in development;
- Build a South-South global constituency around private sector- development issues and strengthen linkages between Centre and other institutions to ensure the private sector is able to contribute more effectively to the SDGs;
- Develop the policy proposition for a better integration of the work of foundations with private sector, particularly corporate foundations;
- Lead, with the Director of Finance Sector Hub, UNDP corporate strategies, policies and procedures to better engage private sector in development, including the implementation of UNDP’s private sector strategy;
- Contribute to external and internal networks that permit the effective implementation of strategies for building sustainable partnerships with new global development partners;
- As part of the Finance Sector Hub Provide program support to the Regional Bureaux and Country Offices in the area of private sector in development and foundations, in both long-term development and conflict and early recovery contexts, as and when needed;
- Establish clear internal communication around agreed corporate priorities as well as establishing mechanisms and tracking system to facilitate exchange of information and identification of synergies between IICPSD and the private sector;
- Act as a resource person to ensure internal coherence in approaching the private sector as part of the Finance Sector Unit, at HQ, Regional and Country-levels;
- Act as a resource person to ensure internal coherence in approaching the private sector at HQ, Regional and Country levels, as part of the global private sector team in the Finance Sector Hub;
- Establish and maintain regular forum with two-way feedback mechanism to ensure effective flow of information and communications regarding the dialogue with the private sector across the organization for supporting CO work.
- Establish and maximize synergies with the Istanbul Regional Hub (IRH), capitalizing on its co-location, and coordinate, when appropriate, external engagement with the IRH.
Overall Management and Resource Mobilization:
- Develop, in close collaboration with EC members, the Finance Sector Hub and other parts of UNDP, as well as in collaboration with external partners, comprehensive annual work plans for the IICPSD, including the elements of the work plan that fall outside of the EC mandate;
- Provide to the Finance Sector Hub and the EC, results based planning and performance tracking;
- Prepare annual reports on the activities and results of the Centre for the EC;
- Ensure that the IICPSD’s operations and management are in line with UNDP’s rules and regulations and follow the decisions of the EC, and seek operational synergies with IRH;
- Provide strategic direction to, and oversight of the activities of the Center, in line with the Finance Sector Hub, ensuring integrity and accountability of human resources, financial resources, administration, finance, IT, procurement, and security;
- Financial management: Ensures the integrity of financial transactions, systems and reports by consistent application of rules and regulations.
- Human Resources management: Ensures that systems are implemented to perform effective people management for organizational excellence, in accordance to UNDP rules.
- Facilitate the environment, approve strategies and actively engage in resource mobilization of financial resources.
- Explore opportunities with new and existing foundations for bringing financial resources to various development causes, particularly the SDGs;
- Identify, initiate and build new partnerships with the private sector in order to expand on current global initiatives and explore opportunities for leveraging financial resources from the private sector to support various development causes;
- Develop networks of institutional partners (including universities, business intermediaries from the South and North, foundations, content providers) who would contribute to the activities of the Center, when appropriate coordinate with the IRH on developing Turkish based partnerships;
- Position IICPSD as a leading center of excellence through convening high-level private sector actors and stakeholders to drive agenda setting;
- Mobilize, foster and strengthen strategic partnerships with the private sector and provide substantive inputs to those partnerships;
- Develop strategic partnerships with foundations, UN and other relevant bodies and provide substantive inputs to those partnerships;
- Advocate the importance of the private sector and foundations in the SDGs in various international fora;
- In coordination with the BERA, BPPS, Finance Sector Hub, Regional Hubs in particular IRH, and UNDP COs, develop and maintain strong relationships with key policy makers and partners, including senior-level officials of the Government of Turkey and representatives of civil society organizations (CSOs), think-tanks and the academic community, private corporations, and the media to promote the work of the IICPSD;
- Ensure that knowledge creation generated by the Center is promoted and is integrated, via the Finance Sector Hub, into UNDP’s activities;
- Establish and manage UNDP global community of practice of private sector in development
- Develop and maintain UNDP’s relations with foundations by providing an engagement framework across the organization in approaching foundations based on sound knowledge about how foundations operate and their contribution to the SDGs;
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Knowledge of inclusive business, markets and privates sector in development concepts, principles and issues, development finance, private finance and blended finance solutions for achieving SDGs and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Ability to communicate the value and distinct characteristics of a product or service and to understand the market landscape.
- Knowledge of the Sustainable Development Goals and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Ability to substantively engage and foster networks with academia, research institutions, and think tanks.
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge.
- Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside (Programmes/projects) or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support. Sets overall direction for the formation and management of strategic relationships contributing to the overall positioning of UNDP.
- Knowledge of the way foundations and philanthropy work, how it supports global development and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
Required Skills and Experience
- A Master's degree, preferably in international development, international affairs, business administration, development economics, or other relevant field, or extensive compensating experience in the area of private sector in development.
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in private sector and public sectors (national or multilateral, including UN).
- Proven track record and high level technical competency in the area of private sector in development with in depth knowledge of inclusive business models and their potential contribution to development ;
- Proven track record and experience of developing and managing strategic multi-stakeholder partnerships and initiatives in the area of business and development
- Excellent negotiating and communication skills and ability to mobilize support from a wide range of partners (public, private, academic, civil society, business community leaders)
- Strong ability and proven experience in fundraising from private sector, foundations and governments for the initiatives in the area of sustainable development
- Technical competency and expertise in development finance with a significant understanding of private finance and blended finance solutions for achieving SDGs
- Knowledge or experience in green finance, including climate finance, green bonds, relevant project finance, and impact investing preferred
- Experience working for UNDP desirable.
- Fluent and proficient in English is required, with fluency in at least one other UN language strongly desirable.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.