Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative and overall guidance by the Resident Representative, the Programme Specialist is responsible for management of UNDP programme within the area of democratic governance, economic diversification and inclusive growth. The Programme Specialist analyzes political, social and economic trends and leads formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities within his/her portfolio, provides policy advice services.
The portfolio would cover the following elements:
- integration of SDGs and developing capacities for SDG implementation and monitoring
- supporting the development of justice services and human rights institutions
- developing public administration capacities for better service delivery
- support to expanding opportunities of digitization, economic diversification with the focus on trade and SME development
The portfolio will also include a focus on policy advice and will strive to put in action the human development concept and the NHDR within the framework of the SDG acceleration
This is the senior-level position. The Programme Specialist supervises and leads programme support staff, provides overall supervision and coordinates activities of the projects’ staff and works in close collaboration with the operations team, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP programme implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Development and implementation of programme strategies
- Management of the CO programme
- Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy
- Implementation of the CO Communications Strategy and facilitation of internal communications in the office
- Provision of top-quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building, sharing and management
1. Contributes to development of and ensures implementation of programme strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to CCA, PFD, CPD, CPAP and other documents;
- Identification of areas for support and interventions within the area of democratic governance, economic diversification and inclusive growth.
2. Ensures effective management of the CO programme within the area of democratic governance, economic diversification and inclusive growth focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country programme achieving the following results:
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results;
- Design and formulation of CO programme within the area of democratic governance, economic diversification and inclusive growth, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies. Introduction of performance indicators/ success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones;
- Initiation of a project, presentation of the project to PAC, finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review. Programme Specialist can perform functions of Manager Level 1 in Atlas for POs and vouchers approval, participates in recruitment processes for projects;
- Oversight of the implementation of the programme activities in respective directions, including regular advice to the project teams, monitoring and reporting of the project progress; regular monitoring of delivery of the projects and their financial standing;
- Supervision of the respective programme and project teams under the democratic governance and economic diversification;
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions. Participation in audit of NEX projects;
- Follow up on respective evaluation and audit recommendations;
- Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes. Preparation of donor reports.
3. Ensures creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the democratic governance, economic diversification and inclusive growth area in the region based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities;
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
- Identification of the partnership and resource mobilization opportunities with the Government of Turkmenistan.
4. Contributes to implementation of the CO Communications Strategy and facilitation of internal communications in the office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Help increase understanding of the Government and general public of UNDP’s role and contribution to development processes in the country;
- Raise the profile of UNDP’s support and results to the Government reform initiatives for effective resource mobilization;
- Contribute to the UNDP CO’s communication efforts externally and internally.
5. Ensures provision of top-quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building, innovative solutions and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices, lessons learnt, and innovative solutions directly linked to programme country policy goals;
- Support to development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Contribute to arrangement and trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.2: Ppreparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work;
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration;
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Levle 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues;
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.2: Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches.
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
Level 1.2: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors;
- Develops a database of project profiles. Identifies opportunities for project proposals for presentation to donors.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.2: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences;
- Identifies and takes advantage of opportunities for advocating for UNDP’s mandate.
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Prince2 training and certification, RMG
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration/Policy, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
- 2 years of relevant experience in the area of democratic governance, or economic diversification/inclusive growth at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Fluency in English and Russian. Good knowledge of Turkmen language.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.