UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women in Colombia in accordance with national priorities and international instruments for the protection of women's human rights, mainly the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW), works to achieve substantive equality between men and women in all aspects of life, focusing on strengthening the leadership and political and economic empowerment of women and their right to a life free of violence, both in the context of conflict and outside this, as bases for a stable and sustainable peace. In this way, UN Women supports national efforts to make women beneficiaries and main actors in the sustainable development and construction of peace, democracy and security in Colombia.
The Colombia CO requires a communications team with a clear, innovative, consistent, coherent to strength the communication strategy, which will allow UN Women Colombia to multiply its efforts to achieve gender equality.
Under the supervision of UN Women Colombia Representative, the Communications Analyst is responsible for assisting in the planning and implementation of the Office communications, innovation and advocacy strategies to increase the standing and awareness of UN Women with partners, the media and the public. The Communications Analyst works in close collaboration with the Programme and strategic areas of UN Women Colombia as well as the Regional Office, and UN Women Headquarters communication teams, staff of other UN Agencies, Government officials, media, multilateral and bilateral donors and civil society.
Duties and Responsibilities
Plan and design communication and outreach/advocacy strategies and plans
- Draft and implementation the communication strategy of UN Women Colombia, through compliance of specific plans for media communication, social networks, editorial contents, campaigns, programmes, events and other initiatives in support of UN Women's strategic objectives, ensuring compliance with UN Women rules and regulations for Communications;
- Conduct communication needs assessments for UN Women Colombia, including strategic communication plans, projects, programmes and corporate change initiatives; analyze requirements and synthesize proposals for elaboration of communication strategies ensuring a gender perspective;
- Coordinate and provide input to in-country UN Women/ UN system corporate and local campaigns and special events;
- Provide inputs on communication to the Representative and personnel of UN Women;
- implement crisis communications strategies for UN Women Colombia over pertinent issuance of official communications related to the Office common interest issues, as required;
- Provide guidance on ensuring that all communication channels of the agency are used effectively and in accordance with the Communications and advocacy strategy of the agency, as well as the goals of the organization.
Provide operational and coordination support for timely implementation of Communications strategy
- Prepare the project timeline and production schedule, ensure that planning mechanisms are established to meet the deliverables of the project;
- Draft and implement the Communications area annual budget, and coordinate the proposed activities to ensure consistency with the objectives of the Office and in accordance with financial regulations;
- Coordinate development and preparation of financial resources including budgeting, budget revisions, and expenditure tracking, and reporting and monitor the allocation and disbursement of funds to participating partners;
- Provide support and prepare Terms of Reference for the implementation of contract management for consultants;
- Supervise personnel of the Communications Area to ensure timely compliance of activities.
Coordinate and implement the development and dissemination of advocacy materials in the country
- Following the guidelines from HQ and RO, develop and produce communication products and materials, including briefing materials, press releases, and drafts of articles, and manage its dissemination;
- Identify and propose information opportunities, activities, approaches and platforms and partners;
- Promote and disseminate corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives, publications, and campaigns;
- Manage the translation/adaption/rewriting of information received, printing and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials;
- Conceptualize and coordinate public information products such as printed material, audio, video, images and photographic material, among others.
- Provide suggestion on how to Integrate communication, advocacy and outreach strategies into proposals for project/programme and other initiatives.
Coordinate media relations for UN Women Colombia
- Supervise and analyze present events, public opinion and press coverage, to identify problems and trends; provide input to the Representative over appropriate actions/responses on the Office´s interest issues
- Manage relationships with press in country.
- Organize roundtable discussions, press conferences, and briefing sessions for press, as required; and draft talking points.
- Undertake missions and field trips with media and other official visitors in support of UN Women and its work.
Build and maintain partnerships and maintain relations with donors
- Identify and develop new communication partnerships and alliances to enhance visibility;
- Liaise with advocacy partners and undertake outreach to civil society organizations, governments, and other groups to ensure that newsworthy information reaches the public and donors;
- Design, and maintain the Office Public Relations (PR) plan with opinion leaders, media communication and public figures.
- Collaborate in designing and execution of resources mobilization strategies with private sector and individual donors.
- Provide inputs to donor reports as needed.
Maintain UN Women Colombia’s web/online presence
- Manage the Office websites’ content based on corporate requirements and coordinate continued updating;
- Manage the Office social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy;
- Ensure UN Women strategic communications through media communication relations, social networks, websites and other.
Facilitate knowledge building and sharing
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities;
- Provide training and workshops on communication and advocacy, as appropriate;
- Communication Focal point at the country UNCT, RO and HQ, as well as other COs to ensure the UN Women Colombia positioning.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Management experience including proven strong people management skills
- Ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies
- Good knowledge of web-based knowledge management systems
- Good understanding of production, graphic design and photography standards
- Good knowledge of social media platforms and experience in social media outreach
- Good knowledge of local country media landscape
- Ability to be strategic and analytical
- Excellent communication, presentation, networking and advocacy skills
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women´s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in Communications, Journalism, International Relations, Marketing, or similar relevant field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 1 year of relevant experience in professional communications at national or international level in progressively responsible functions
- Experience in managing teams is an asset
- Knowledge of gender and human rights issues, and gender priority agenda of the Organization is required;
- Experience in media relations and in social media is an asset;
- Excellent computer skills in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint is required;
- Experience related to UN and/or any other international agency is an asset.
- Fluency in Spanish and English is required;
- Working knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
Solo se considerarán las aplicaciones que contengan el Formato P11 firmado, el cual podrá encontrar en el siguiente link: http://www.co.undp.org/content/dam/colombia/docs/Operaciones/P11_Personal_history_form-es.docx El formato debe ser subido en el espacio denóminado "Attach CV" que aparecerá en la segunda página del formulario de aplicación (después de dar clic en submit en la primera página).
Naciones Unidas está comprometida en lograr la diversidad laboral al interior de su oficina en términos de género, nacionalidad y cultura. Individuos de grupos sociales minoritarios, grupos indígenas y personas con discapacidad están por igual alentados a aplicar. Todas las aplicaciones laborales serán tratadas con la más estricta confidencialidad.