Mental health and psycho-social advisor (M/F) - Turkey
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 40 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
Dünya Doktorları Dernegi (DDD) is a Turkish based humanitarian non-governmental organization and a member of Médecins du Monde’s International Network that is committed to meeting the health needs of vulnerable people globally.
Since 2015, DDD implements programmes in both Turkey and Syria providing refugee and IDP communities with free access to healthcare services. DDD works with a range of humanitarian professionals and technical experts to provide Primary Healthcare (PHC), Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) services as well as sexual and reproductive health (SRH).
Since the beginning of the Syria and Iraq crises, Turkey has become host to over 3 million refugees, migrants and asylum seekers which led to an increasing demand for health services. In this context, DDD’s intervention aims to assist local public health systems in providing and improving access to health and health related services to vulnerable populations among refugees and migrants in Turkey, specifically in Hatay, Izmir and Istanbul. In Syria, DDD runs health facilities in Idlib and Afrin provinces to deliver health-related services to IDPs.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the hierarchical supervision of the head of quality unit of the Directorate of health & advocacy of MdM France based in Paris and under the functional supervision of the general director of DDD in Turkey, you will provide technical support and guidance to the whole DDD MHPSS team in the development and the implementation of mental health and psychosocial support activities. You will also contribute to the development of operational strategies for Turkey and Syria.
You will be based in Istanbul and will spend 25% of your time at MdM France headquarters in Paris to ensure consistency and close collaboration with the MHPSS advisor at HQ.
More specifically, your responsibilities will be to:
Development of MHPSS component of DDD’s programmes
- Support DDD MHPSS overall strategy development and implementation
- Conduct a needs assessment in the MHPSS centers to provide a diagnosis and propose a capacity-building plan for the programme teams
- Based on the needs assessment, design a proper intervention strategy in PSS and community-based programming
- Contribute to the development, review and upgrade of MHPSS protocols and guidelines for Turkey and Syria programmes
- Support DDD and partner’s teams in the implementation of the PSS services
- Develop technical guidelines adapted to the context in compliance with international standards to support implementation of activities
- Ensure that the quality of the services provided in the supported structures are in compliance with MdM-F & DDD standards and in accordance with Turkish regulations and international conventions as well as MHPSS standards
- In collaboration with the protection mainstreaming manager, promote an integrated approach to the programmes both in Syria and Turkey
- Support the field team and partner in developing and implementing referral mechanisms
Training and capacity building
- Identify training needs of DDD and partners MHPSS team in terms of PSS and community-based programming, and develop the capacity building plan
- Develop appropriate training objectives, contents, evaluation tools and didactic materials
- Provide training and coaching to DDD and partner’s staff
- Sensitise and train the medical/paramedical staff of the centres on psychological issues
Monitoring and reporting
- Work in close collaboration with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) department to develop and implement PSS and community-based activities monitoring and reporting tools
- Contribute to needs assessments, internal evaluations and project review for the identification of gaps, areas of improvement and new actions to undertake
Human Resources and coordination
- Contribute to the evaluation of the performance of MHPSS department’s staff
- Contribute to assess the internal and external resources to provide PSS support to DDD local staff
- Organize with MHPSS coordinator a consistent team organization and adapted recruitment procedures
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Status : Employee
Contract : Fixed-term contract
Duration : 6 months
Starting date: August 2019
Gross monthly salary: 3042 euros
Position based in Istanbul - frequent travel to Paris (25% of time spent at French HQ)
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year.
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Punctual teleworking agreement (after 6 months)
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
Psychologist or Psychiatrist educational background is mandatory
At least 5 years of MHPSS related experience (clinical and humanitarian field)
Demonstrated experience and skills in training and capacity-building
Previous professional experience in Middle-East
Capacity to successfully promote quality improvement projects and evidence-based practice
Knowledge on gender and women’s rights and experience in projects addressing GBV will be an asset
Knowledge in child protection will also be an asset
Proven experience in the use of monitoring and reporting tools
Fluent English mandatory (oral and written)
Turkish and Arabic would be a plus
You are committed to MdM’s values as an organisation and motivated by its non-statutory, NFP model.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
To apply, click on the following link : http://www.jobs.net/j/JyUcAOad?idpartenaire=128