Duties and Responsibilities
- Administration and implementation of operational strategies
- Organization of procurement processes
- Implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools
- Organization of logistical services
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system.
- CO Procurement business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement and Logistics, control of the workflows in the Procurement Unit.
- Elaboration of proposals and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies in consultation with office management.
- Provision of researched information for formulation and implementation of contract strategy and strategic procurement in the CO including tendering processes and evaluation, managing the contract and contractor, legal considerations and payment conditions, sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, e-procurement introduction.
- Preparation of procurement plans for the office and projects and their implementation monitoring.
- Organization of procurement processes including preparation and conduct of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Preparation of Purchase orders and contracts in and outside Atlas, preparation of Recurring Purchase orders for contracting of services, vendors’ creation in Atlas. Buyers profile in Atlas.
- Review of procurement processes conducted by projects; submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (ACP).
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched. Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems.
- Presentation of researched information on procurement in the CO.
- Preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the procurement services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
- Organization of joint procurement processes for the UN Agencies in line with the UN reform.
- Development and update of the rosters of suppliers, implementation of supplier selection and evaluation.
- Active participation in roll out of e-tendering processes
- Support and management of PROMPT 2.0, online procurement planning platform in the CO.
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on Procurement.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in Procurement.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Result:
The key results have an impact on the overall CO efficiency in procurement and success in implementation of operational strategies. Accurate analysis and presentation of information, well- organized transparent procurement processes ensure client satisfaction and timely delivery of UNDP programmes/ projects. The information provided facilitates decision making of the management.
- Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
- Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
- Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Provides inputs to the development of simple system components
- Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems
- Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Prepares timely inputs to reports
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized training in procurement.
- University Degree in Business or Public Administration would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 7 years of progressively responsible administrative experience is required at the national or international level.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), advance knowledge of automated procurement systems, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English and Somali both written and spoken.
Important applicant information
- All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
- Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence..Somali qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply