Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The Project Coordinator will be responsible for the overall project cycle management and coordination of the anticipated Multi-sectorial Emergency Response project (Oromia, SNNP and Somali Regions). Particularly, the Project Coordinator will liaise with the project partner, field level managers to ensure effective project implementation planning, effective and timely implementation of activities and efficient budget use. Furthermore, the manager will be responsible in preparing/ writing quality reports, review and revision of project documents and organizing different meetings with various relevant internal and external bodies for the overall effectiveness of the project. In addition, the manager will be the primary contact person of the project with the project partner, in external project coordination meetings, monitoring and evaluation activities and donor visits. This recruitment is subject to final project and funding confirmation.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
Project Coordination and Representation
- Collaborate and coordinate with Area Managers, technical managers and team leaders to ensure high quality day-to-day technical management of activities, meeting of project targets and deliverables, with strict adherence to international humanitarian principles, DRC core values and code of conduct, technical standards and best practices for protection and cash programming.
- Monitor project implementation and progress through communication with field locations and regular field visits.
- Ensure project management tools, including Detailed Implementation Plan are in place, followed and updated.
- Collaborate with program and support staff at field and Addis Ababa level to work on project revisions and conduct regular project implementation and budget utilization review.
- Representation and communication with project partner focal points. Convene quarterly project meetings to discuss relevant program and financial issues.
- Facilitate overall project coordination with the Sub-awardee in coordination with the Head of Program.
- Ensure programme quality and consistency and harmonization in implementation across project locations and between DRC and project partner.
Reporting, Grants and MEAL
- Ensure reporting from project partner to agreed timelines and standards. Collect inputs and consolidate narrative reports
- Ensure regular reporting for both internal and donor purposes are completed to a high standard and in a timely manner. This will include providing periodic donor reports and internal spontaneous reports for various purposes. In addition, work with the focal persons in grants and finance to support timely financial and narrative reports to donor.
- Develop and maintain cordial working relationships with key stakeholders, including consortium lead and members, local government authorities, UN agencies, INGOs, community and other stakeholders. In line with this, represent DRC by actively participating in coordination meetings, working groups and any other meetings as requested by the consortium lead and other stakeholders.
- Ensure quality monitoring and evaluation of projects and interventions, working with relevant MEAL staff to coordinate and roll out MEAL systems, including assessments and ensuring adequate monitoring, evaluation, documentation and reporting of activities against all indicators. Ensure that MEAL system is applied across the project locations.
- Ensure project plans for accountability to affected communities and communication and visibility are implemented
- Ensure beneficiaries’ feedback and complaints are respectfully collected and responses are provided as per DRC’s framework for beneficiaries’ feedback and complaints collection and response mechanisms.
- In collaboration with the Grants and Programme unit ensure donor compliance.
- Maintain accurate and comprehensive files of activities, outputs, materials, and other relevant project documentation.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
EXPERIENCE AND TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in a mid-level position, preferably with experience in the field of humanitarian response and project management working for an international NGO, UN agency or relevant ministry or local authority.
- Experience working in displacement responses in multi-sectoral interventions. Technical experience with cash-based programming and/or consortium management an added advantage.
- Strong planning, organization and problem-solving skills with ability to work both independently and within a team in a demanding working environment.
- Robust analytical and strategic planning skills
- A demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with host governments, donors, partners, local organizations, and other stakeholders
- High-level communication and interpersonal skills
- Masters degree in development studies, social work and social sciences or other relevant field from a recognized institution
- Excellent verbal and written proficiency in English and Amharic.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than July 24, 2019.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.