Education Project Assistant (Nationals Only) - Libya
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation
helping people forced to flee.
We protect displaced people and support them as they build a new future. We started our relief efforts after World War Two.
Today, we work in both new and protracted crises across 31 countries. We
specialise in six areas: food security, education, shelter, legal assistance,
camp management, and water, sanitation and hygiene.
We stand up for people forced to flee. NRC is a determined advocate
for displaced people. We promote and defend displaced people's rights and
dignity in local communities, with national governments and in the
international arena. NRC’s Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva is
a global leader in monitoring, reporting on and advocating for people displaced
within their own country.
We respond quickly to emergencies. Our expert deployment capacity, NORCAP,
boasts around 1,000 experts from all over the world who can be deployed within
72 hours. Our experts help improve international and local ability to prevent,
prepare for, respond to and recover from crises.
Around 6,000 men and women work for the
Norwegian Refugee Council. Most of us are hired locally
to work in the field, and a small number are based at our head office in Oslo.
Many of our colleagues were once themselves fleeing their homes.
NRC has been operating in Libya since 2018 with offices in Tripoli and Benghazi. NRC is providing assistance to Libyan IDPs, returnees and host communities in Benghazi and Tripoli with potential expansion to adjacent districts. NRC Libya is working to deliver variety of programming across the following sectors: Shelter, WASH, and Education. In the course of 2019 options for expanding programming to support the migrant and refugee population will be developed.
The purpose of the assistant position is to assist in the day to day implementation of the education project. Education assistants will support all field level operations and supervise any future incentive workers.
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Assist with the implementation of the education project according to the plan of action.
• Prepare and develop status reports as required by management.
• Ensure proper filing of documents.
• Promote and share ideas for technical improvement.
• Make decisions on the ground with limited or remote supervision.
• Assist in the implementation of education activities under direction of the education officer; supervise incentive teachers and outreach workers.
• Provide support to NRC activities, schools and assessments in line with NRC quality standards.
• Ensure direct communication and feedback with beneficiaries and relevant host communities.
• Ensure ongoing monitoring and reporting of projects at field level.
• Organize, support and participate in community engagement initiatives, outreach and out-of-school children (OOSC) data collection.
• Regularly travel to the field to support education, recreation and psycho-social support (PSS) activities.
• Support teacher training as required by the project objectives.
• Organize and implement distributions of teaching and learning materials.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
We are looking for a University degree in Education or other relevant fields, with knowledge of education context in Libya; understanding of the circumstances, needs and challenges IDP/returnee and refugee children face and the sensitivity of the context,.
Also we are particularly looking for a person with excellent communication skills, who has experience in community mobilization and/or relationship building, working with children or teaching, and with knowledge of the basics of gender, child protection and PSS.
In this position, female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Skills : Strong organizational skills and teamwork skills, Good computer skills in Microsoft office (MS Excel, Word, and outlook) . Written and spoken fluency in Arabic; proficiency in English
Contract Period: 6 months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty Station: Tripoli, Libya
For more information, please find attached the Job Description.