Deputy Country Representative, Kenya
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In Kenya, the UN Women Country Programme contributes to the development objectives of Kenya’s blue print, the Vision 2030 , the SDGs particularly SG 5 and is aligned to the United Nations Development Assistance Frameworks (UNDAF) 2018-2022 as well as UN Women Global Strategic Plan. The Kenya Country Programme - “Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment Gains Consolidated' - aims to achieve the following results: (i) increased women’s leadership and participation in governance; (ii) strengthened women’s economic empowerment; (iii) increased protection of women against gender-based violence & access to justice for women; and (iv) strengthened women’s leadership in peace building and humanitarian response.
Reporting to the Country Director, the Deputy Country Director is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Kenya Country Office. The incumbent is responsible for substantially contributing to the design, implementation, management and oversight of the country programme and to the operations supporting its implementation to ensure effective and efficient delivery of results as planned in the UN Women Strategic Plan.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Manage the programme and operations teams
- Manage the day-to-day work of the programme and operations teams, including finalizing programme team’s annual workplan;
- Oversee/lead the process of programme conceptualization, planning, implementing and monitoring, and the management of material and financial resources;
- Lead the process of preparing programme implementation progress reports and identifying areas for UN Women Country Director’s action and/or decision;
- Manage the performance of staff under supervision; provide managerial direction, guidance and leadership to staff and provide performance feedback and coaching to staff under supervision, ensure performance assessment are implemented on time and ensure staff members are fully aware of UN Women workplace relations policies;
- Technically support the development of the Office security strategy and plan as required.
2. Provide advisory and specialized technical support on the strategic direction of the office
- Advise and guide the Country Director on strategic areas;
- Provide specialized technical and strategic support and guidance in managing all aspects of the programme design and related activities and for ensuring compliance and accountability in programme monitoring, reporting and evaluation;
- Develop policy documents, briefs and other strategic papers/materials for use in the development and presentation of innovative and coherent policy and programmatic positions;
- Serve as a senior member of the management team.
3. Represent UN Women in UN system coordination, with a focus on programming and operations
- As delegated by the UN Women Country Director, represent UN Women in the United Nations Country Team (UNCT) and/or the Humanitarian Country Team (HCT) to collaborate with the Resident Coordinator and UN system on interagency coherence, collaboration, cooperation, resource mobilization, advocacy, common services, and operations;
- Participate in UN system thematic and other working groups to advance UN Women’s mandate;
- Provide guidance and support to the Regional Director in interacting with the UNCT on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
4. Provide technical support in creation of strategic partnerships and resource mobilization strategies
- Provide substantive research and inputs in the formulation and implementation of the country resource mobilization strategy;
- Establish and maintain relationships with government, partners, stakeholders and donors to achieve active collaboration, cooperation and alliances on programme development and implementation and resource mobilization;
- Provide support to ensure a strategic position of gender equality and women empowerment in the UN frameworks and joint programmes.
5. Represent UN Women and support advocacy strategies in UN Women Kenya Country Office programmatic activities as requested
- Represent and advocate for UN Women in organizational, regional, global, public information/ relations events and key meetings, as delegated;
- Develop and implement advocacy and public communication strategies.
6. Facilitate knowledge management, innovation and capacity building
- Manage the process of collecting and sharing lessons learned on gender equality and women’s empowerment to build knowledge and capacity of partners and stakeholders;
- Oversee the design and implementation of capacity building training activities to enhance skills and knowledge;
- Support the documentation, dissemination and sharing of best practices.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and quality provision of strategic support and advise to the Country Director
- Timely and quality delivery of the programme and operations teams
- Regular interaction and establishment of joint activities and programmes with other agencies and partners
- Quality of inputs provided in formulation and implementation of the country resource mobilization strategy
- Quality and number of knowledge management and advocacy initiatives undertaken
- Quality mentoring, training, coaching which affects performance of staff, inclusive workplace environment
- UN Women is seen as a reliable and trustworthy partner, providing substantial inputs to progress UN women’s mandate
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Excellent programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them
- Ability to provide policy advice and support to partners
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent knowledge of Results Based Management
- Strong knowledge of the UN system
- Strong knowledge of local country context
- Strong negotiation skills
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification
- Master’s degree or equivalent in international development, public administration, public policy or other relevant social science fields is required.
- A project/programme management certification would be an added advantage.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible professional experience that combines intellectual, strategic and managerial leadership in development programmes with a strong focus in the area of gender equality and women’s empowerment at the international level, preferably in developing countries within the UN system, Agencies, Funds or Programmes;
- Field based experience working with multi-cultural teams;
- Experience in leading a team.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset;
- Knowledge of Swahili is an asset.