Data Engineering Assistant
New York City (United States of America)
Background Information - Job-specific
This position is located in the Operations Support Division, Office of Information and Communications Technology (OICT/OSD) in New York. The Office of Information and Communications Technology (OICT) provides enterprise-wide oversight of ICT programmes, budgets and decision-making to ensure alignment with the Secretariat's overall ICT strategy in support of the Organization's mission. OICT is also responsible for the delivery of applications that satisfy the requirements of the UN Secretariat, field missions and other DOS supported entities. OICT has implemented a range of systems and analytical tools to address the principal requirements of its clients to support and enhance the processes UN undertakes.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for or in the United Nations Secretariat. The incumbent of this position will be a personnel of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Under the overall supervision of UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the incumbent will directly work under designated officer and will be responsible for:
- Assist in building and integrating corporate data solutions derived from multiple data sources to enable insight and decision-making at various levels using visualization and analytics tools;
- Perform data profiling by leveraging large and diverse datasets for analysis or testing efforts, with multiple/multi-type table joins, multiple keys, and nested queries;
- Perform ad-hoc analysis and presenting results in a clear manner;
- Implement any software required for accessing, handling, processing and analyzing data appropriately;
- Implement data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems;
- Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis;
- Analyse a broad range of existing data sources;
- Assist in developing data models, including performance measures, to enable scorecard analysis;
- Assist in developing documentation and training materials;
- Assist Analytics and Reporting Specialist with data related problems;
- Perform other duties as required.
3. Monitoring and Progress Controls
The result of work of the Data Engineering Assistant impacts directly on delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of the Department as well as the performance of the services implemented in the DFS/DPKO field missions and headquarters. It will also ensure proper processes and methodologies are followed and implemented according to the latest of the industry standards. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring activities for all global locations are in line with the overall business targets and UN policies, rules and regulations.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Bachelor's degree or technical/professional diploma in Applied Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Computer Science, Information Systems / Technology, Engineering or related field is an asset or advantage.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of Information and Communications Technologies, Engineering or other related fields is required. A candidate with a Bachelor's degree must have at least one (1) year of experience in the relevant area. A candidate who has a technical /professional diploma must have at least three (3) years of experience in the relevant area;
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience with Microsoft SQL Server is required;
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience in development, implementation and maintenance of data integration solutions using Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services or similar tools;
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience in development and/or integration using Application Program Interfaces (APIs) and Representational State Transfer (REST) services;
- Experience in programming with C# and .Net;
- Experience with MS SQL Server Analysis and Reporting Services;
- Experience with Power BI, DAX, advanced Excel Formulas and Power Query;
- Experience with the following Office365 tools: Flow, Forms, PowerApps and SharePoint;
- Knowledge of data science packages such as R and Python;
- Should have a good data intuition. Should be good at identifying patterns in the data;
- English and French are the working languages of the UN;
- For this job opening, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required;
- Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type : Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA)
- Contract level : LICA5
- Contract duration : Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information: Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC)
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.