The European Institute of Peace (EIP) is an independent body that partners with European states, the European Union, international organisations, civil society and the private sector to craft strategic and effective approaches to conflict prevention, resolution, dialogue and mediation. See www.eip.org
EIP is looking for an experienced Chief Operating Officer to ensure the optimal functioning of EIP’s operations. S/he will report directly to the Executive Director in Brussels and will be responsible for developing all administrative, financial and human resource strategies as well as for their implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
The Chief Operating Officer will provide leadership and strategic input to the organization by designing and implementing procedures, systems and practices which apply to administration, finance and HR, including safety and security. The Chief Operating Officer will also be responsible for monitoring quality of deliverables through the provision of evaluation tools and learning initiatives and will ensure compliance with policies, procedures and legal regulations in these areas. He/she will also contribute to building institutional capacities within EIP.
This function contributes directly to the good, efficient and effective day to day functioning of the organisation. This will be achieved by working closely with the operational team as well as with the programme units: Engagement, Dialogue and Process Design Unit (EDP) and Peace Practice & Innovation Unit (PPI, as well as the European Affairs Unit (EAU). In this way, the COO ensures the operational effectiveness of EIP - notably in financial planning/management and in developing/strengthening EIP’s human resource strategy including staff, advisors and consultants.
· Lead and manage the day to day operational work of EIP and supervise the operations team.
· Develop and strengthen medium- to long-term strategies for human resource management and financial management at EIP, and recommend a plan to ensure their alignment as part of EIP’s overall financial sustainability;
· Develop, improve and lead on implementation of these strategies, including policies, procedures and protocols which ensure compliance with legal, financial and human resource regulations as well as EIP’s Duty of Care and Code of Conduct, including on safety and security;
· Ensure efficient financial management including institutional budgeting, cash flow management, audits, bank reconciliation, monitoring and evaluation;
· Develop risk management and mitigation plans and procedures; ensure that controls are in place for all aspects of management at the institute;
· Systematise guidance to project managers on operational issues; ensure the quality of programme design, delivery and reporting from an operational perspective; monitor budgeting/expenditures for projects;
· Systematise guidance to project managers on operational issues; develop and implement monitoring and evaluation systems to ensure the quality of programme design, delivery and reporting; monitor budgeting/expenditures for projects;
· Develop and implement learning activities to foster internal skill enhancement and capacity building
· Contribute to strong internal communication through the setup of required communication systems and practices
· Coordination of reports to the Board and to donors;
· Lead a team of up to 10 staff;
· Dynamic contribution to the Senior Management Team
· Efficient and effective operational systems, procedures and controls;
· Good cooperation with the unit directors to ensure operational efficiency of the various programmes and projects in accordance to set MEALs tools and procedures;
· Financial information systems and controls in place to allow the Executive Director and SMT to anticipate and manage risks and opportunities, on the basis of a financial strategy for the institute for the next three to five years and an action plan for its implementation;
· Staff aware of performance expectations, human resource policies and procedures, and opportunities for their professional development, on the basis of a human resource management strategy covering staff, consultants and advisors aligned with the above;
· Stronger relations with Board members and donors on the basis of clear, timely and accurate reporting on impact and expenditures
· A motivated team in the office of the COO committed to enhancing the performance of the institute and the ability of project managers to deliver and report on their activities
Full-time Belgian Contract with a competitive remuneration and benefits package commensurate with a non-profit organisation.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Proven experience as COO or related relevant role, with a strong understanding of operational imperatives, including in financial and human resource management;
- At least 8 years of professional experience at an executive level, contributing to or designing strategies, policies and implementation plans;
- Experience of managing and motivating teams and delivering results against an institutional plan;
- Hands-on experience in most if not all the flowing areas: financial management including institutional budgeting, cash flow management, audits, bank reconciliation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting; human resource management including recruitment, performance appraisal, duty of care and other human resources policies, training and team building
- Experience in managing multicultural, multidisciplinary teams as well as multi-stakeholder partnerships and relationships; track record of working as a team player;
- Ability to work under pressure and to prioritise multiple tasks;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Excellent command of English and French;
- Familiarity with Belgian non-profit organisation requirements (desirable)
- Interest in or experience of working with the actors in EIP’s universe: European governments, EU Institutions, International organisations such as the UN, civil society and the private sector.
Expressions of interest including a short motivation note, expectations regarding remuneration, and a CV should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 6pm Brussels time on Sunday August 18th, quoting ‘Chief Operating Officer’. Interviews will take place by Friday 6th September.