Technical Adviser (Coffee Breeder)
Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
IMPORTANT NOTICE\: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
• People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture of Saudi Arabia (MoEWA). The project UTF/SAU/051/SAU ‘Strengthening MoEWA's Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme' is a project within the framework of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project’s expected results will be achieved through the implementation of nine project components\: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of subtropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishers and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rainfed cereal production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA's capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
The incumbent will be part of the PMU of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The Technical Adviser reports to the Programme Coordinator in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia under the overall guidance of the Assistant Director-General/Regional Representative, RNE.
Capacity development and knowledge management for coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of departmental/divisional programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with departmental/divisional objectives and FAO’s Strategic Objectives.
• Provides technical leadership assistance on the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; assists in the review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties; identifies follow-up actions;
• Coordinates programme-related activities and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for the implementation of programmes and projects as well as the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Contributes to consultative and other meetings, conferences, including proposals for agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
• Participates in activities such as structuring of training workshops, seminars, makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
• Advises on the development of policies and strategies, as well as national protocols and guidelines for projects with specific domains related to FAO's work.
• Advises and coordinates with the FAO Programme Director, liaises with the PMU and the MoEWA to ensure the flow of cooperation and coordination in the planning and implementation, and monitoring of progress of the project component in accordance with the project document;
• Leads the comprehensive review of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing and the organization of diagnostic studies to give directions to the sustainable development of the sector;
• Identifies and promotes sustainable good agricultural practices and efficient fertilization, pruning and harvesting practices among coffee Arabica growers;
• Develops a catalogue of major coffee diseases, pests and weed in the target regions, develops and implements an integrated pesticide management (IPM) programme for prevention and control of coffee pests and diseases to ensure access of coffee growers to pests and disease control services;
• Ensures the provision of technical support and pilot testing of sound irrigation systems and small rain water harvesting structures and technologies in selected areas; facilitates the development and adoption of improved post-harvest interventions covering all aspects of the coffee production value chain;
• Establishes coffee seed orchards, produces healthy seeds, develops and operates modern coffee nursery, identifies, produces, distributes and promotes healthy, drought and pest resistance high yielding coffee varieties seedlings;
• Establishes coffee model demonstration farm to pilot-test and promotes best cultural and agronomic practices among small farmers;
• Leads and/or supervises preparation and dissemination of various written project component outputs, e.g. background papers, sector reviews, technical reports, sections of reports and studies, manuals, guidelines and checklists and knowledge products;
• Leads and supervises preparation of quarterly and semi-annual project component progress and terminal reports and identifies lessons learned, constraints and issues that require timely resolution and corrective actions and presents recommendations for improving performance;
• Leads development of demand driven and responsive partnerships to benefit Saudi Arabia from proven innovation and good practices in the south and north for coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in agricultural economics, development economics, rural sociology, food security, nutrition, sustainable agriculture (including livestock, forestry and fisheries), plant production/breeding, agronomy or any related field;
• Seven years of relevant experience in technical cooperation-related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
• Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
• Results Focus
• Team Work
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience in coffee breeding, coffee plantations management;
• Extent and relevance of experience in development of subtropical fruits production, processing and marketing;
• Extent and relevance of experience in technical cooperation-related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
• Extent and relevance of experience in working with intergovernmental bodies and multidisciplinary teams;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of Arabic is considered a strong asset.