IMPORTANT NOTICE\: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
• People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The main aim of the FAO Country Offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner. FAO's mission is to work with the Government of the Sudan to help build a food-secure country, free of hunger and malnutrition, where food and agriculture contribute to improving the living standards of all, especially the poorest, in an economically, socially and environmentally sustainable manner. The Organization's activities in the Sudan are fully integrated with the national priorities outlined in the national plan and strategies of the country.
The Communication Officer reports to the FAO Representative in the Sudan and works under the direct supervision of the Deputy FAO Representative and in close collaboration with the Regional Communication Officer.
Outreach-Advocacy, Communication Programming, Food Security.
The provision of internet and internal communication.
• Processes, coordinates arrangements and delivers outreach, advocacy and communication services;
• Researches and analyses communication policy and service delivery issues, maintains operational statistics, and prepares related reports;
• Contributes to the development of information and training materials and coordinates and assists in the presentation of information/training sessions to management and staff;
• Provides information and advice to management and staff;
• Participates in project teams and working groups.
• Develops a “National Communication Strategy/Plan” that dovetails the Regional Communication Strategy and the Regional Plan in line with the Country Programming Framework (CPF), the Corporate Communication Policy and Strategy, and the United Nations Communications Strategy of the Sudan;
• Builds effective and close partnership with media outlets based in the country and creates a pool of reliable media contacts to ensure complete coverage of the activities of the Organization;
• Acts as a focal point for the FAO Representation in the Sudan (FNSDN) technical officers’ Publications Workflow System (PWS) inquiries;
• Contributes to dissemination of relevant visibility materials for FAO’s Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa (RNE), and the Regional Communication Network in the Near East and North Africa (NENA) region visibility efforts (such as press releases, agendas and other materials for events/press conferences);
• On a regular basis, shares with the Regional Communication Officer the communication products of the Senior Officers’ Media Initiative (SOMI);
• Reviews project partners’ visibility materials and publications and provides input related to content of communication materials, use of FAO logo and disclaimer on publications, agendas for events;
• Contributes to the improvement of visibility and outreach of FNSDN and RNE social and new media platforms; and FAO in general, in coordination with the social media and outreach teams in headquarters under line management’s guidance;
• Contributes to resource mobilization efforts through the preparation of briefs on ongoing programmes;
• Supports full implementation of the European Union project C-V plan and track media coverage of the European Union-funded project;
• Contributes to the development and distribution of press releases;
• Organizes European Union site visits, official opening ceremonies, interviews, TV and radio broadcast;
• Supports communications and visibility of events organized by or in collaboration with the FAO Representation including preparation of talking points, speeches, photos and video coverage;
• Contributes to the dissemination at country, regional and global levels, of relevant public information products, including publications on relevant FAO websites of European Union-funded project achievements;
• Performs other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in communication, social science, journalism, political science or a related field;
• Three years of relevant experience in communication, web publishing and/or social media networks;
• Working knowledge of English, and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO languages Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish.
• Results Focus;
• Building Effective Relationships;
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement.
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions, is desirable;
• Ability to translate complex and technical communications to a wide and varied audience, in a simple and concise manner;
• Understanding of FAO policies and programmes is considered a strong asset;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the field of web publishing and social media networks as well as in editing communication, promotional or technical materials;
• Working knowledge of Arabic would be an asset;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the UN System is desirable.