Technical Adviser (Fisheries Management Expert)
Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
IMPORTANT NOTICE\: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
• People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA) of Saudi Arabia. The project UTF/SAU/051/SAU ‘Strengthening MoEWA's Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme' is a project within the framework of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project’s expected results will be achieved through the implementation of nine project components\: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of subtropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishers and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rainfed cereal production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA's capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
The incumbent will be part of the PMU of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The Technical Adviser reports to the Programme Coordinator in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia under the overall guidance of the Assistant Director-General/Regional Representative, RNE.
Capacity development and knowledge management for strengthening capacity of small-scale fishers and fish farmers.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of departmental/divisional programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with departmental/divisional objectives and FAO’s Strategic Objectives.
• Provides technical leadership assistance on the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; assists in the review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties; identifies follow-up actions;
• Coordinates programme-related activities and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for the implementation of programmes and projects as well as the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Contributes to consultative and other meetings, conferences, including proposals for agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
• Participates in activities such as structuring of training workshops, seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
• Advises on the development of policies and strategies, as well as national protocols and guidelines for projects with specific domains related to FAO's work.
• Liaises with the PMU and the MoEWA to ensure the flow of cooperation and coordination in the planning and implementation of the project component;
• Leads and supervises component planning, implementation and monitoring in accordance with the project document;
• Reviews, validates the list of identified technical experts for the project component, prepares their Terms of Reference (ToRs), supervises and guides the component technical team, consultants and the support staff to carry out their duties;
• Leads comprehensive sector review and diagnostic studies of fisheries industry to give direction to the sustainable development of the sector;
• Reviews and assesses gaps in current management practices and technologies, identifies and promotes sustainable and efficient best fishing management practices in small-scale capture fisheries and sets up sites for practical demonstration of improved fisheries management practices;
• Prepares plan for establishment, supervises implementation and operation and maintenance of pilot fish port/landing and low cost shore facilities for small-scale capture fisheries in the target regions;
• Reviews and develops current vessel registration and licensing system and updates the computerized fishing vessel register in line with Saudi requirements; trains selected staff on operating and maintaining the new fishing vessel register;
• Conducts a technical and administrative audit of the domestic fishing fleet, whilst distinguishing the different fleet segments;
• Identifies and introduces best practices to reduce incidental catch of seabirds in capture fisheries in consistency with the FAO Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries;
• Sets up sites for practical demonstration of improved fisheries management practices and technologies to small- scale fishers and their cooperatives;
• Leads and/or supervises preparation of various written project component outputs, e.g. background papers, sector reviews, technical reports, sections of reports and studies, manuals, guidelines and checklists as well as knowledge products.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in agricultural economics, development economics, rural sociology, food security, nutrition, sustainable agriculture (including livestock, forestry and fisheries), plant production/breeding, agronomy or any related field;
• Seven years of relevant experience in technical cooperation-related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
• Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
• Results Focus
• Team Work
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience in fisheries technical assistance projects;
• Extent and relevance of experience in development of subtropical fruits production, processing and marketing;
• Extent and relevance of experience in technical cooperation-related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
• Extent and relevance of experience in working with intergovernmental bodies and multidisciplinary teams;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of Arabic is considered a strong asset.