CPPGG SDG Capacity Building, Communications & Training Expert
The UN General Assembly, and all its 193-member countries, in September 2015 adopted a global development vision entitled Transforming Our World: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. This 2030 Agenda was designed as a plan of action for people, planet and prosperity. It lays out 17 new Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and 169 targets, to stimulate global action over the next 15 years on issues critical to humanity and the planet. India committed to these SDGs at the September 2015 UN Summit and the SDGs officially came into force on 1 January 2016. The Government of India has been actively engaged in integrating the SDGs since early 2016. NITI Aayog, the National Institution for Transforming India, has been entrusted with the responsibility of coordinating the efforts on SDGs with ministries and states, indicative of “whole of government” approach. The NITI Aayog has prepared an Action Agenda (3 Years) and is preparing medium term perspective plan (7 years) and long term (15 years) goals for the country through a 15-year vision document for a period up to 2030, which will be co-terminus with sustainable development goals. The Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI) has prepared a Draft National Monitoring Framework consisting of 306 Indicators. At National level a High-Level Steering Committee has been constituted for refining the indicators which will emerge as backbone on the development interventions of the country.
The UNDP India Country Programme Document CPD (2018-2022) signed with the Government of India (GoI) aims at transformative change and development impact at scale. In line with this, UNDP has initiated active support to many state governments in mainstreaming SDGs within their schemes and programmes. As an overarching UN Strategy, this is as a part of SDG roll out for visioning and planning in India. In view of India’s commitment to the 2030 Agenda, Uttarakhand too has set ambitious targets for itself for achieving the SDGs and has already formulated its SDG Vison 2030 document.
Centre For Public Policy & Good Governance
Centre for Policy & Good Governance (CPPGG) Uttarakhand has been set up to assist in bringing about governance reforms through studies, training, knowledge sharing and promotion of good ideas. CPPGG is deemed to act as the think tank in the State which will help in improving the research & analytics for preparing a better planning & policy framework. The think tank is presently functioning as an autonomous body with a governing council headed by Chief Minister and Chief Secretary and has experts from various prestigious institutions as the members. The institution is mandated to identify the bottle necks in the growth trajectory of the State and firm up solutions to address the same. UNDP will support the State Government in technical empowerment of the CPPGG, Uttarakhand by recruiting sectoral experts in mutually agreed sectors which are beneficial for the economic growth of the State and manage the policy development for fostering economic growth and inclusive development through SDGs, under the leadership and guidance of Department of Planning.
UNDP therefore is looking for a dynamic team of experts to be a part of the PMU in CPPGG and work closely with relevant government departments, technical agencies, UN agencies, civil society organization and academic institutions to provide the requisite impetus to the state government’s initiative in rolling out the SDGs and accelerating economic growth.
The services of a Capacity Building & Training Lead are required in translating the SDG vision to work towards generating awareness of SDG VISION 2030 of Uttarakhand and help build necessary capacity amongst internal and external stakeholders. He / she will be accountable for developing, managing, co-coordinating, networking, implementing and monitoring a communication and capacity building strategy and associated products and activities on on-going basis with public audiences, with the objective of promoting awareness, understanding, support of the SDG VISION 2030 targets set by the Government of Uttarakhand. The expert is also vested with the role of organising training programmes on aspects related to achieving Sustainable Development Goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the CEO, CPPGG, the incumbent will:
- Ensure planning and design of internal and external strategies for communication and outreach focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Communication Strategy is in place for spreading awareness around the SDG 2030 VISION including the ADVOCACY STRATEGY for internal Stakeholders to have clear idea of what they need to deliver in 2019, 2022 and 2030, and AWARENESS of all Stakeholders including Media organizations, Community Organizations, Academic Institutions, Schools and Colleges;
- Engage communication experts / agencies to create professional communication and outreach tools and materials in the local language;
- Plan and execute Communication Strategy in close collaboration with State department, all concerned state departments, UN agencies etc. and ensure visibility of SDG targets set by GoU in the media;
- Conceptualise, promote and disseminate SDG specific advocacy materials for launching initiatives and publications;
- Strengthen government partnerships through providing high quality and strategic communications support.
- Plan and implement digital media strategies for CPPGG focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Engage Digital communication experts / agencies to conceptualise the digital presence of CPPGG;
- Design and implementation of digital media strategies including social media platforms for CPPGG, aligned with outreach on the Goals and targets set in SDG VISION 2030 for GOU;
- Use creative mediums like Website, Mobile App, SDG specific Information campaigns, films, Digital Media campaign, folk media in English and local language to create digital presence.
- Create compelling digital content to engage audiences in a dynamic and interactive way, drawing attention to key development debates;
- Monitor and evaluate the dissemination of advocacy and communication material to target audiences and impact of the same.
- Prepare Training Plans and Packages to fast-track the achievement of Sustainable Development Goals
- Support in organising SDG Learning events for capacity building, networking, experience sharing with crucial speakers on topics related to implementation of Agenda 2030.
- Tailor specific sessions to provide a strategic vision and practical knowledge to participants on how to find effective sustainable solutions for the community
- Provide continuous training to the various stakeholders on
- SDGs and their interlinkages, including issues related to inclusion
- Localization and integration of SDGs into State policies and action plan
- Achieving integrated policy-making and policy coherence
- Data collection and analysis
- Means of implementation (finance, technology, capacity building)
- Science-policy interface
- Review and monitoring of implementation
- Supports the business development focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Launches and campaigns
- Promotion and maintenance of public information campaigns on GoU - UNDP CPPGG priorities and results
- Platforms & partnerships
- Creation of contents for SDG Private sector partner platform involving companies, business forums and banking sector,
- Strengthening the engagement of partnerships with civil society, philanthropies and mobilising CSR.
- Facilitate partnerships between different stakeholders and offer avenues for innovative financing.
- Maintenance of increased coverage and understanding of the CPPGG work in the state and practice area through regular media contacts and provision of newsworthy information to national public and, where possible, donors.
- Organization of roundtable discussions, press conferences, briefing sessions, interviews, launches, etc.
- Forging of a “Whole of Government approach” through publicizing the significance of 2030 VISION of GoU and consequently the reform efforts, convergent programmes. Organization and implementation of joint SDG specific UN information campaigns (Women’s Day, UN Day, World AIDS Day, Environment Day, etc.)
- Preparation of donor reports, civic education and community awareness where appropriate to support projects
- Public information
- Effective responses to inquiries for public information materials
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities;
- Provision of training, consultancy and advice to CPPGG staff on communications for development.
- Effective management of the Communications Component of CPPGG:
- Supervision of communications staff
- Ensure effective and smooth functioning of the communications including procurement and finance
- Any other responsibility assigned by the CEO, CPPGG
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Thoroughly familiar with the SDG agenda, development context and challenges about key developmental issues in the state.
- Helps in writing concept notes, background materials based on secondary data
- Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda
- preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating CPPGG and UNDP mandate
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts with a variety of stakeholders to promote a better understanding of CPPGG and UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts
- Building Strategic Partnerships
- Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise - Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Creating Visibility for CPPGG & UNDP/Supporting CPPGG ’s Capacity to Advocate
- Research and data analysis
- Promotes awareness of CPPGG and UNDP centrally to development through dissemination of information and materials
- Maintains networks and knowledge assets for use in visibility and image activities
- Global Leadership and Advocacy for CPPGG and UNDP’s Goals
- Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for CPPGG and UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts in the media and civil society, to promote a better understanding of CPPGG and UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts
- Client Orientation
- Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
· Promotes and enforces ethics and integrity and creates precedence in good practice
· Demonstrates corporate knowledge and sound judgment
· Self-development, ability to take initiative, adopt a corporate approach to complex situations
· Creates and promotes an enabling environment for open communication
Required Skills and Experience
· Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Development, Social Science, Management or related field
· Diploma in Journalism/Mass Communication or related field is desirable
· 5-7 years of relevant experience with Capacity Building, Training, Communications with Government at the national level or sub-national level
· Experience in leading a team or sub-offices as part of a larger organization or entity.
· Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Language Requirements: Fluency in written and oral English and Hindi.
Remuneration package is INR 91,380/- per month (taxable). UNDP also offers additional benefits which include medical insurance coverage and limited pension reimbursement for contract holder and encourages work life balance to its employees.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.