- PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
The UN Timor-Leste’s compound is located in the land area of about 3 hectares in Caicoli, Dili. The UN compound accommodates 11 UN Agencies which occupy 20 buildings for offices and several buildings for common areas.
Further, inside the compound there are 14 big rainforest trees that were planted decades ago. The roots of trees had grown more than 3 meters below the buildings and spread everywhere which then damaged the foundations, wall and ceiling of the buildings. The roots have also blocked toilets and trains. Therefore, it is necessary to take actions to prevent further risks that impact the safety of the buildings and personnel who are stationed inside the office buildings.
As the first step, the UN is seeking to hire a Tree Specialist with knowledge and expertise in local species trees to surveying and assessing the conditions of the trees and propose recommendations and actions plans to minimize the damages caused by the roots of the tree.
Duties and Responsibilities
- OBJECTIVE OF THE ASSIGNMENT/SCOPE OF SERVICE
The overall objective of the assignment is to survey and assess the conditions of the trees and propose recommendations and action plans which include options to remediate the damages.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the UNDP’s Operations Manager, a consultant will perform the following tasks:
Specific responsibility will include:
- Survey and assess the trees;
- Assess the nature and extent of the damage of the trees and identify possible solutions to remediate the damages which include observation as to whether the solutions would have an impact on the conditions of the trees and the buildings around the trees;
- Review the Government’s environmental regulatory and procedures for trees’ cutting, landscape and greening.
- Develop recommendations, actions plan and BOQ for the options to remediate the damage which may include tree surgery or roots pruning, trenches and root barriers. The recommendations must be in line with the relevant Government regulations/law on environment, tree cutting etc.
- EXPECTED OUTPUTS AND DELIVERABLES
Target Due Dates
Review & Approvals Required
A report which outlines the results of the survey and assessment of the trees, the nature and extent of the damage of the trees and identify possible solutions to remediate the damages which include observation as to whether the solutions would have an impact on the conditions of the trees and the buildings around the trees;
15 August 2019
UNDP Operations Manager
| || |
31 August 2019
UNDP Operations Manager
Total number of days
- INSTITUTIONAL ARRANGEMENTS
The selected consultant will work under the Common Premises Unit, with the supervision by UNDP Operation Manager. The consultant should use his/her own computer/laptop for the assignment. The office will provide access to internet to facilitate communication. Other logistical costs must be included as part of the financial proposal of the consultant.
- DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT
The assignment will be for a period of 14 effective working days between 1 August 2019 to 31 August 2019.
- DUTY STATION
UN House, Dili, Timor-Leste
Required Skills and Experience
A.QUALIFICATIONS OF THE SUCCESSFUL INDIVIDUAL CONTRACTOR
- University degree in Arboriculture, Environmental Management or any other relevant subject. Masters Degree in the relevant field would be an advantage.
- At least 5 year of working experiences in e surveying and maintenance of trees. Knowledge on environmental issues and procedures and requirements as per Timor-Leste government law, and other related rules/regulation;
- At least 5 years of professional experience on forest monitoring and/or forest inventory, including field experience;
- Experience working with both government and non-government forestry stakeholders at the national and local levels;
- Understanding in aspect of tree assessment, protection and maintenance;
- Experience working with both the organization and companies in designing and planning for landscape arrangements;
- Fluently in spoken and written English.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills, including the ability to liaise effectively at project management levels;
- Ability to communicate and function effectively in an international, multicultural environment;
- Ability to work effectively in a team.
- SCOPE OF PRICE PROPOSAL AND SCHEDULE OF PAYMENTS
Lump Sum Amount
Consultant must send a financial proposal based on daily fee. Consultant shall quote an all-inclusive daily fee for the contract period. The term “all-inclusive” implies that all costs (professional fees, communications, consumables, etc.) that could be incurred by the IC in completing the assignment
Payments shall be done upon verification of completion of deliverables and approval by the supervisor.
Schedule of payments
31 August : 100% of payment upon completion of deliverables.
J. Evaluation Method and Criteria
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on Cumulative analysis.
The award of the contract shall be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as a) responsive/compliant/acceptable; and b) having received the highest score out of set of weighted technical criteria (70%) and financial criteria (30%). The technical score will be assessed through both document review and possible interview. The financial score shall be computed as a ratio of the proposal being evaluated and the lowest priced proposal received by UNDP for the assignment.
Technical Criteria for Evaluation (Maximum 70 points)
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications. Please group them into one (1) single PDF document as the application only allows to upload maximum one document: