Livelihoods Specialist - Market System
Title: Livelihoods Specialist- Market System
Reports to: Area Manager
Start of Contract & Duration: Four Months
Posting date: July 11, 2019
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
- Functions as a specialist within sector area in the region
- Drives development of a livelihoods strategy that explores the nexus between market systems programming, protection, conflict management and environment
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Applying a market systems approach with protection outcomes to develop a strategy to support realization of the Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework in Djibouti and Ethiopia.
- Demonstrate understanding of the systemic influences of livelihoods activities including, but not limited to, access to financial service products, information and labor market opportunities; business training and SME development, business grants, life-skills training, literacy and numeracy training, vocational training, micro-credit loans, savings groups, group enterprise development and facilitation.
Geographic scope: This position will be based in Djibouti with travel to Ethiopia
- This role has a country focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within Ethiopia and Djibouti. The role drives the development of a livelihoods/market systems strategy, which contributes towards the fulfillment of the broader Area and Country strategies.
- Identify sectoral and geographical priorities for engagement of displacement-affected populations in inclusive market systems growth
- Lead market systems assessment in promising technical sectors and key geographical areas that would be conducive to supporting integration of displacement-affected populations within the host community economic and social environment
- Work closely with the protection team in-country and Regional Office, and colleagues engaged in conflict mitigation and environment to develop a livelihoods/market systems strategy that adequately maximizes on Market Systems Development for protection outcomes.
Monitoring, reporting and development
- Develop program monitoring tools which would be used to gauge the success of a livelihoods/market systems strategy
- Work with the MEAL unit to develop M&E tools that would enable continuous adaption around systems change
- Explore new business and partnerships.
- Work closely with Country Directors, Area Managers, and the Grants unit to develop quality proposals, concept notes and budget
- If/when the opportunity arises to seek funding, develop and undertake needs assessments to inform program design and strategic direction.
External coordination and representation
- Share relevant project information with stakeholders
- Participate in relevant coordination meetings
- Participate in Refugees Task Force meeting as needed
As Specialist the post-holder is responsible for the following:
- Responsible for providing specialized knowledge and operational know-how within a specific discipline
- May also have technical line responsibilities, but generally on technical or operational matters
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
EXPERIENCE AND TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES
- At least three years of relevant experience (market systems, inclusive growth, protection, environment).
- Experience in strategy development in market systems and displacement-affected populations
- Experience in engaging with private sector for purposes of international development, i.e., impact investment
- Documented skills in project planning and design, drafting, calculation and technical writing
- Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience in project development
- Experience working with national partners, local/government authorities, and UN organizations
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Master's degree in political science, international development, economics or other relevant field.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than July 24, 2019.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.