Pretoria (South Africa)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women South Africa Multi-Country Office (SAMCO) is based in Pretoria, South Africa and serves five countries; South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia and Swaziland. UN Women South Africa Multi Country Office is implementing a flagship programme on ‘Creating markets through affirmative procurement for women businesses in South Africa’. The programme seeks to address the structured barriers faced by women-owned businesses in accessing procurement opportunities and seeks to leverage and systematically include innovation, partnerships and financial solutions to accelerate implementation and scale up.
Reporting to Programme Specialist, the Programme Associate works with and provides support to the members of the Programme Team in the development and implementation of effective programmes consistent with UN Women rules and regulations. S/he contributes to research, financial management, and programme implementation including providing necessary operational, administrative and programmatic support. The Programme Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the South Africa Multi Country Office (SAMCO) and UN Women HQs as required for resolving complex finance-related issues and exchange of information.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide administrative and logistical support to the formulation and management of programmes
- Provide administrative support in the preparation of programme work plans, budgets, and proposals on programme implementation arrangements;
- Provide technical guidance to the SAMCO Flagship Programme on Women’s Economic Empowerment and executing agencies on routine delivery and reporting of programme supported activities and finances;
- Prepare information for the audit of programmes/ projects and support implementation of audit recommendations;
- Review programme data from programmes/ projects for the SAMCO Flagship Programme on Women’s Economic Empowerment website;
- Identify sources and gather and compile data and information for the preparation of documents, guidelines, speeches and position papers.
2. Provide administrative support to the financial management of the Programme Unit
- Create projects in Atlas, prepare budget revisions, revise project awards and status; and determine unutilized funds and the operational and financial close of a project;
- Provide administrative support in monitoring budget preparation and the finances of programmes/projects; including the finalization of FACE forms;
- Review financial reports; prepare non-PO vouchers for development projects;
- Process payment for consultants;
- Maintain internal expenditures control system;
- Create requisitions in Atlas for development projects; register good receipts in Atlas;
- Assist in the preparation and follow up of cost-recovery bills in Atlas.
3. Provide administrative support to the Programme Unit
- Undertake all logistical, administrative and financial arrangements for organization for meetings, workshops, events, and missions;
- Make travel arrangements for the Programme Team, including travel requisitions and claims;
- Prepare public information materials and briefing packets;
- Assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations;
- Provide guidance and training to Programme Assistants as needed.
4. Provide administrative support to Resource Mobilization
- Prepare cost-sharing and other agreements; follow up on contributions within the SAMCO Flagship Programme on Women’s Economic Empowerment resource mobilization efforts;
- Organize, compile and process information from donors, SAMCO Flagship Programme on Women’s Economic Empowerment, and programme team, as inputs to various databases and documents.
5. Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Provide administrative support synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices related to programme management and finance;
- Provide administrative support to the organization of training for the office staff and partners on programme and operations related issues.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and accurate support to events, workshops, and missions;
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Timely recording of overall programme unit finances;
- Timely and accurate tracking of data for CO management and donor purposes;
- Quality maintenance of internal systems.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Good knowledge of programme management;
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to create, edit and present information in clear and presentable formats;
- Ability to manage data, documents, correspondence and reports information and workflow;
- Strong financial and budgeting skills;
- Strong IT skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Completion of secondary education required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Public Administration is an asset.
- At least 6 years of progressively responsible experience in administration or programme management/support;
- Experience in working in a computer environment using multiple office software packages;
- Experience in the use of ATLAS is an asset;
- Experience in supporting a team.
- Fluency in English and at least two local languages is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO SOUTH AFRICAN CITIZENS AND PERMANENT RESIDENTS ONLY
Only shorlisted applicants will be contacted