Junior Consultant - Budgeting and Financial Analyst
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fill a Junior consultancy position of Budgeting and Financial Analyst Consultant based at our Headquarters in Rome, Italy.
The Technology Division (TEC, formerly known as IT) is the digital business engine of the World Food Programme, providing the business with multi-pronged and resilient technical capabilities able to respond with the immediate agility required in conflict zones on the one hand and with the longer-term stability to cope natural disasters on the other. In 2019, TEC Division will increase its activities to meet the constantly growing demand from the business and the field operation, and implement the initiatives related to digital transformation. This requires an effective, efficient and agile management of resources through a holistic, comprehensive and proactive approach and a sound and efficient budget and financial management, from planning to monitoring and reporting.
Under the general supervision and guidance of the Head of Finance and Budget Management based in the resource Management branch, the Budgeting & Financial Analyst will support the effective and efficient management of resources through a holistic, comprehensive and proactive approach. He/she will make sure of the budget efficiency and financial management, from planning to monitoring and reporting through the definition of business models with clear and shared funding rationale, involving key stakeholders inside and outside TEC.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following functions:
- Support the cost analysis process by establishing and enforcing policies and procedures; providing trends and forecasts; explaining processes and techniques and ensure the maximum value for money is achieved;
- Track and determine financial status by analyzing actual results in comparison with forecasts, to improve the efficiency of the use of resources available;
- Improve the tools for the costing of the Division workplan; prepare the costing to allocate the resources to the Branches and monitor the funds consumption;
- Prepare regular reports on financial status, including burn rates and addressable spend; update the dashboards on a monthly basis, to provide accurate information;
- Monitor and analyze budgets for new and ongoing projects according to the established corporate procedures and requirements;
- Assist the Division staff to carry out the TCO calculation, as required;
- Propose actions to improve financial performance, and monitor the implementation;
- Support business studies on past, future, and comparative performance and develop forecast models, to assist strategic decision making.
- Contribute to the delivery of financial controls and insight into WFP performance, supporting periodic risk and internal control assessments to identify areas which may present potential audit, compliance or financial risks
- Perform other duties, as required.
Qualifications & Experience Required
Education: University degree in one of the following fields: Finance, Accounting, Economics, or another related field.
Experience: 1-2 years of relevant working experience with/in: funds management, budgeting, account reconciliation, cash management, financial management / financial analysis / financial reporting.
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
- Ability to review and evaluate budgets, review and assess internal controls, financial processes and procedures and provide recommendations for improvement;
- Ability to review and analyse financial statements and audit report;
- High command of Excel;
- High communication, presentation and inter-personal skills;
- Knowledge of SAP is desirable;
- Ability in proactively networking & establishing effective working relationships;
- Strong team player coupled with demonstrated ability to work autonomously;
- Passionate and committed to excellence with Client Orientation;
- Ethics & Values;
- Stress Resistance;
- Behavioural Flexibility.
Language: Fluency in oral and written English with an intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) is desirable.
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 26 July 2019
Ref.: VA No. 106136
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.