Program Development and Reporting Officer- Sudan
Khartoum (Sudan) | Sudan
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps (MC) is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
MC Sudan's head office is located in Khartoum with programs in South Darfur, South Kordofan and White Nile states. MC is currently implementing a strategy that has an overarching goal of building resilience of communities in Sudan, utilizing both early recovery and humanitarian approaches. The country team's overall goal is underpinned by four key objectives: strengthened economic opportunities through market orientated programs, enhanced access to safe drinking water and improved hygiene practices, reduced levels of conflict between diverse communities, and strengthened institutional capacity for local government, civil society and the private sector. MC has adopted an integrated approach to achieving all four objectives and will prioritize the expansion of programming into three additional thematic areas that cut across all four objectives. Thematic areas are: youth led programming that will prioritize increased participation of youth in program design and implementation while enhancing their long-term employment prospects; increased engagement with the private sector; and a stronger focus on development programming in areas of IDP returns and refugee influx.
General Position Summary
The Program Development and Reporting Officer will be responsible for backstopping and supporting program activities through program development, regular donor report writing, correspondence follow-up with donors and stakeholders, and coordination with cluster partners. This will also include supporting program management issues, data collection, communications, collection of lessons learned and program quality development.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Identify new program opportunities, develop concept notes to share with potential donors while working closely with the Deputy Country Director, field staff, and senior management.
- Support the country team leadership to identify potential new funding sources among traditional as well as non-traditional donors, in line with MC's overall strategy in the country.
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to humanitarian and development programming.
Reporting and Documentation
- Lead all donor reporting with input from the field Program and M&E teams.
- Establish and maintain effective systems for program reporting, evaluation and communications for all programs.
- Assist to maintain donor complaint budget management.
- Support efforts to ensure project deliverables are achieved within approved spending levels and in accordance with donor rules and regulations.
Assist in maintaining proper and standardized electronic filing system for storing program documents**Communications and Advocacy**
Lead communications and support advocacy efforts for the country program.
Work with program teams to document lessons learned and best practices.
Support efficient and timely information exchange within the team to ensure effective operational decisions.
- Support the Deputy Country Director, Heads of Offices and Program Managers to ensure program activities are implemented according to established work plans, donor regulations and within a definite timeframe.
- Participate and support the maintenance of a program monitoring and evaluation (M&E) system to demonstrate outputs, outcomes, and impact to capture key lessons, and improve program quality and sustainability.
Representation & Coordination
- Positively represent Mercy Corps to the community, the local government, INGO/UN agencies and organize field visits as required.
- Support a proactive and partnership approach in relationship management.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Reports Directly To: Deputy Country Directo**r**
Works Directly With: Finance Manager, Heads of Offices, Program team, M&E team
This position requires someone with the ability to effectively carry out duties as outlined in the position description. One should be willing to learn and work in accordance with Mercy Corps policy. The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to multitask, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities if necessary. A high professional standard of activity implementation, strong interpersonal and intellectual skills are necessary.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position will be based in Khartoum, Sudan. Accommodation will be provided. Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps' vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/S or equivalent in development management or related fields required;
- 2-4 years' experience in international relief and development in Africa, preferably in Sudan;
- Understanding of Food Security, WASH, Livelihoods, Protection and Sphere standards;
- Experience with proposal development, report writing, and M&E;
- History of working effectively with host country governments, INGO and NGO partners;
- Demonstrated ability to work in complex programming and volatile environments;
- Oral and written English skills required.