Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Afghanistan
UNOPS strategy for Afghanistan is aimed at providing maximum support to the Government and people of Afghanistan though the delivery of projects and services in line with the government’s own priorities. The UNOPS Afghanistan Operation Center (AFOC) has been established as an organizational mechanism to deliver a range of projects for which UNOPS has been designated as the implementation agency. At present, UNOPS AFOC is implementing a number of projects in a range of sectors including infrastructure (roads and schools) development, capacity building to various ministries, and environmental protection, among others, on behalf of the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community.The functional objective of UNOPS AFOC is to deliver projects in an efficient and effective manner, to achieve the development outcomes sought by the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community, where capacity building is always considered and encouraged. The aim of UNOPS AFOC is to provide implementation services to the Government of Afghanistan, the donor community and partner agencies in the reconstruction and development of the country. In doing so, UNOPS aims to exceed client expectations in the delivery of quality services throughout the country.
. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Under the overall guidance and direction of the Project Manager (PM), and in close coordination with the Construction Engineer and other project staff, the Site Engineer will carry out on-site supervision of work performed by Contractors to ensure the work is carried out as per the requirements stipulated in the Contract, ensuring high standard of quality, timely completion, maintaining cost under approved budget, while maintaining transparency and integrity in all affairs.
- Responsible for day-to-day coordination of site work with the contractors and suppliers according to the needs and requirements on site.
- Inspect and report on Contractor’s works in progress ensuring that the Contractor meets the high quality standards expected by UNOPS as per the Contract.
- Check contractors’ and suppliers set out and works, including compliance with Contract specifications and ensures that contractors and suppliers comply with their work plans to complete work with specified time frame.
- Provide support and guidance to the contractor and assists in resolving site problems, as necessary.
- Attend the project site(s) daily in order to monitor progress of works, identify issues and problems and to provide appropriate solutions through application of sound engineering standards, in consultation with the Construction Engineer/Project Manager.
- Prepare progress reports on construction activities, according to the agreed timeframe of works on a weekly basis and submit to the Project Manager.
- Assesse the work activities of contractors, measure completed work and make recommendations to the Project Manager for progress payments to contractors.
- Maintain records systematically, compile periodic reports and any specific reports required by UNOPS standard procedures.
- Evaluate and assess works schedules, programmes, site plans including Construction Environmental Management Plan, Health and Safety Management Plan, Procurement Plan and any other relevant plans in comparison with the schedule baselines and report to the Project Manager accordingly.
- Check all laboratory reports, operation and maintenance manuals, and keep records and report to the Project Manager accordingly.
- Coordinate with the Contractors and suppliers and Inspect all materials delivered to site to ensure they meet the requirements of the specifications. Take corrective actions where the quality of materials delivered to site do not meet the specification requirements. Prepare detailed reports on deliveries made to sites.
- Conduct, at least on a weekly basis or more frequently as needed, site health, safety and environmental inspections, prepare detailed reports on inspections and submit to the Project Manager.
- Ensure the health and safety on site is maintained to a very high standard. Conduct daily inspections and ensure Contractor takes appropriate corrective actions where deficiencies were observed.
- Check, verify and approve the interim payments submitted by the Contractors and submits detailed reports to the Project Manager.
- Assesse and report on the project closing plans, as-built drawings, archiving of cost and progress reports and hand over all related reports to the Project Manager.
- Provide information and assistance to the preparation of high level Technical Reports for projects.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Building/Civil Engineering, Architecture or equivalent professional qualification.
B. Work Experience
- At least 4 years experience as a Buildings/Civil Engineer.
- A minimum 2 years’ demonstrable experience in on-site construction of buildings or construction supervision of building works.
- Proficient in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint), contract management software and experience in handling web-based management systems.
- Knowledge and skills in using AutoCAD will be an advantage.
- Knowledge of UNOPS/UN rules and regulations will be an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of both written and oral English and Dari/Pashtu is required.
D. Key Competencies
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- High degree of personal initiative and willingness to accept wide responsibilities and new work assignments.
- Demonstrated planning and organizational skills and ability to coordinate with various support service units, work on tight deadlines, and handle multiple concurrent activities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Excellent communication skills (spoken, written and presentational), including ability to present sensitive issues/positions and to write reports and technical decisions quantitatively justified.
- Good analytical skills; resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgment.
- Self-motivated, versatile and adaptable to different cultures and people.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in the area of professional discipline and job knowledge.
- Ability to build and promote effective teams and enable competence by sharing knowledge.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: LICA-9
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA - Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.